Driving time - Working time breaks

Hi all,
A few days ago our transport manager pulled a few of us up on how we are taking our breaks. He stated that 45 minutes driving time break to clear 4.5 hours driving, has to be taken separately from the 30 minutes for the 6 hours working time. Therefore in total we have to take a break of 1 hour 15 minutes (45 mins for Driving + 30 mins for Working) if we have done 4.5 hours driving over the period of 6 hours.

Is this correct?

For example is the following pattern legal in terms of the breaks taken. Starting work at 6am.

Other work: 15mins
Driving: 1 hour 30 mins
Other work: 15mins
Driving: 2 hours
Break: 15 mins
Driving: 45 mins
Other work: 30 mins
Break: 30 mins

Total Driving time - 4 Hours 15 Minutes.
Total Other work - 1 Hour
Total Working time - 5 Hours 15 Minutes.

After this start driving / other work again and if I exceed 9 hours working time take a further 15 minute break.

Having taken a 15 minute break and then a 30 minute break would reset the 4.5 hours driving time. Then in my mind as the second break is 30 minute’s before 6 hours working time it is appropriate for the 6 hour working time reg’s?

I have spent many hours google’ing this question with no success of a simple yes the breaks can be ‘mixed’ or no they have to be taken separately.

Hopefully that all makes sense because it’s really starting to bug me. I only got my licence early this year and I’m hoping I’ve not completely mis-understood how the breaks should be taken, as the transport manager has put major doubt in my mind.

Earth to Tm earth to TM are you receiving me Over :unamused:
What you googled and post is right and what I do 15mins then 30mins before 6 hours is up or 4h 30 driving no need for separate breaks
just make sure you take in time for WT
P/S I guess your breaks are unpaid hence him wanting you to take separate ones :wink:

Ok perfect. So I am not in the wrong with how I have been taking my breaks…

Thank you for clearing that one up for me! =)

So one other question - If I am not doing very much driving one day but I’m still going to exceed 6 hours WT I only need to take a 30 minute break before 6 hours to clear WT. Then if later I need to clear the driving time I do a solid break of 45 minutes or a 15 minute and a 30 minute to reset driving time to 0. Plus an extra 15 mins if I exceed 9 hours WT. Does that sound correct?

Nate-HGV:
Ok perfect. So I am not in the wrong with how I have been taking my breaks…

Thank you for clearing that one up for me! =)

So one other question - If I am not doing very much driving one day but I’m still going to exceed 6 hours WT I only need to take a 30 minute break before 6 hours to clear WT. Then if later I need to clear the driving time I do a solid break of 45 minutes or a 15 minute and a 30 minute to reset driving time to 0. Plus an extra 15 mins if I exceed 9 hours WT. Does that sound correct?

Breaks can count for both WTD and driving time but driving time break rules such as 45 or 15 + 30 must be observed

Work 4 hours
drive 2 hours
break 15 mins
work 3 hours
drive 2 hours
break 30 mins
At this point all WTD breaks done (no more needed) with driving time reset for another 4.5 hours
Max possible time left is 4.25 hours for the shift = why does s h i f t come up as [zb] :question: