What sort of Criminal Record check?

HI all. Been chatting to a mate about me getting back on the road some time soon and he’s interested in maybe getting into driving smaller trucks himself and move up to larger when he can afford it.

He’s applied for various other types of jobs and some ask him about any criminal convictions as they say they will do a standard DBS check so he then has to justify things he did a long time ago, even though they are classed as spent. He’s getting fed up of this as he feels (as I do to an extent) that this is maybe putting them off employing him, even though they are spent. I know they ‘shouldn’t’ discriminate but it’s not like they would say they are anyway. If he says no, because they are classed as spent and a standard check came back showing spent convictions, they may view that as being deceitful.

My question is, do driver agencies or employers of delivery drivers do Basic checks? (known as Disclosure Scotland I believe). If this is generally the case, then he could say no if asked about convictions as a basic check won’t show spent convictions and he would probably feel more confident with getting the tacho and cpc.

Anyone on here know what type of check their employers do/ did for them?

tia

andy “most” employers will not be entitled to ask for a “standard check”. Here’s a list of who can…

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … y_v8.1.pdf

There is also information in that document on what to do if you suspect someone is asking you for a Standard Disclosure and you’re unsure if they are entitled to.

As you point out a “basic disclosure” will not reveal spent convictions. And its not very many jobs in General that can ask you to reveal spent convictions.

Cheers for that Mike, appreciate it.

Depends on the job and who you might potentially come into contact with. My line of work only leads to me dealing with back door staff so I only had to have a basic check. This didn’t show the conviction I picked up for fighting when I was still a juvenile.

However, I filled out an Aldi application before and they ask for a Standard check which would show it up. This is because Aldi stores contain the public and I could potentially come into contact with children and/or vulnerable adults thus requiring a more stringent check.

From what I’ve read a company has to justify a check higher than a basic. Tell your mate he’ll be fine. It might count against him in some peoples eyes but he will certainly get a job somewhere.