Advise please

If I start my shift, and then spend 6 hours driving, waiting for paper work etc, then I need a 30 mins break. I’m OK so far.

So I set off again, presently I see that I have spent 4 and three quarters hours driving all told. Now what?
Do I stop for another 15 mins,to add to my 30 mins to make it up to 45 mins or stop for another 45 mins ?

Thanks guys…

Ian240356:
If I start my shift, and then spend 6 hours driving, waiting for paper work etc, then I need a 30 mins break. I’m OK so far.

So I set off again, presently I see that I have spent 4 and three quarters hours driving all told. Now what?
Do I stop for another 15 mins,to add to my 30 mins to make it up to 45 mins or stop for another 45 mins ?

Thanks guys…

For the working time regulations you need a 15 minute break before going over 6 hours working time not a 30 minute break.

For the drivers regulations you must have a 45 minute break at or before accumulating 4.5 hours driving time, you cannot legally accumulate 4.75 hours driving time with only a 30 minute break.

A 45 minute driving break can be split into 2 separate parts, the first part must be at-least 15 minutes and the second part must be at-least 30 minutes, and they must be taken in that order.
(If you’re having a split driving break you cannot have 30 minutes then another 15 minutes, it has to be 15 minute break then a 30 minute break.)

Breaks for the working time regulations also count as driving breaks (where appropriate), so you could for instance do 6 hours work which includes say 3.5 hours driving then have a 15 minute break, then when you’ve done another 1 hour of driving you would need a 30 minute break.

Ian240356:

Thanks guys…

You’re stuffed. You have already exceeded 4.5 hours driving with only a 30 minute break.

It’s a bit late to do anything about it now.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

marsland:
You cannot “accumulate” more than six hour work without a 30min rest. If you get to 6hrs then you must have 30mins. If you “interrupt” the 6hr with a break of 15mins at, say three hours, you can “accumulate” work up to 9hrs before the second 15min break would be required. If you were then going to exceed 9hrs then the second break would need to be 30mins.
The legislation is quite simple but confusing if not read correctly. Drivers are under the misapprehension that they cannot attend for more than 6hs before a break of 30mins is required. This is not the case.
Legislation states: If accumulated working time is between 6-9 hours then a 30min brk is required. If working time exceeds 9hrs then the break must be 45mins. The breaks can be take in on two or three parts and each must be 15min duration. Obvioulsy the RTD comes in to play but breaks must be taken for whichever comes first. I regularly attend for a 15hr shift with only one 45min break. Pefectly legal and never had any infringements.
0-5:59 minutes no break required.
6:00-9:00hrs 30 minutes before the accumulation of 6hrs working time.
9:00+ Break must be extended to 45mins before the accumulation on 9hrs.

Some of that is incorrect - or at least seems to be from the way it is written

Assuming no more than 4.5 hours driving is done in a 15 hour shift then this is legal
Work 5 hours
15 min break
work 5 hours
15 min break
work 4 hours
15 min break
work 15 mins

That complies to all the rules

marsland:
You cannot “accumulate” more than six hour work without a 30min rest. If you get to 6hrs then you must have 30mins. If you “interrupt” the 6hr with a break of 15mins at, say three hours, you can “accumulate” work up to 9hrs before the second 15min break would be required. If you were then going to exceed 9hrs then the second break would need to be 30mins.
The legislation is quite simple but confusing if not read correctly. Drivers are under the misapprehension that they cannot attend for more than 6hs before a break of 30mins is required. This is not the case.
Legislation states: If accumulated working time is between 6-9 hours then a 30min brk is required. If working time exceeds 9hrs then the break must be 45mins. The breaks can be take in on two or three parts and each must be 15min duration. Obvioulsy the RTD comes in to play but breaks must be taken for whichever comes first. I regularly attend for a 15hr shift with only one 45min break. Pefectly legal and never had any infringements.
0-5:59 minutes no break required.
6:00-9:00hrs 30 minutes before the accumulation of 6hrs working time.
9:00+ Break must be extended to 45mins before the accumulation on 9hrs.

You’re contradicting yourself all over the place, you start off by saying that when you get to 6 hours you must have a 30 minute break then later say you don’t.

I don’t have time to go through all of this but you certainly don’t need a 30 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time as you seem to be suggesting.