Operators Licence

ok folks time to ask the experts

I’m thinking about buying an old 7.5 tonner for my own use, basically landscaping my garden and home improvements.

i’ll only be moving soil and rubble to local land fill and collecting building supplies, may even use it to go back and forward to my usual place of work.

Question is do I require an Operators Licence ■■?
if so would it be a restricted licence, and whats the overall cost of this ■■

CPC and Tacho are not an issue as I have these but do not use them for my normal job

many thanks in advance

Jack

Welcome to Trucknet-UK :wink:

As long as you’re only moving your own goods and not using the vehicle for hire or reward you don’t need an operators licence.

For personal use the vehicle is tachograph exempt, and not that it matters but you don’t need a DQC either.

thanks for the welcome

I spoke to an insurance company with regards to a policy and they couldn’t quote me unless I had an OP Licence so thought id just ask,

scotty jock:
ok folks time to ask the experts

I’m thinking about buying an old 7.5 tonner for my own use, basically landscaping my garden and home improvements.

i’ll only be moving soil and rubble to local land fill and collecting building supplies, may even use it to go back and forward to my usual place of work.

Question is do I require an Operators Licence ■■?
if so would it be a restricted licence, and whats the overall cost of this ■■

CPC and Tacho are not an issue as I have these but do not use them for my normal job

many thanks in advance

Jack

As tachograph has said, an ‘O’ licence is required for the use of a vehicle >3.5t in connection with a trade or business.

Then the choice is whether the goods to be carried are your own, or somebody else’s.
Then you decide whether you’re doing this either nationally, or internationally.
That would then get you to which kind of an ‘O’ licence you’d need.

However… your intended use is entirely private ( = NOT in connection with a trade or business) so you don’t need any kind of ‘O’ licence.

As for insurance… given that your use is entirely private and legitimate, then there’ll be an insurer somewhere that’ll take your premium. My advice is to keep ringing around until you find what you need.

I’d also advise that you’d need to be able to prove that any goods found on board in a roadside check are actually yours and for your own private use, otherwise your vehicle will be impounded with little (or no) hope of it being returned to you.