Sacking on a zero-hours contract - advice please

Up until today, I worked for a music touring company as an HGV 1 driver on a zero-hours contract.

I had been off work for a couple of months after being diagnosed with an illness by my GP, but this week was signed fit for work to go back on Monday. I informed my ‘employer’ by phone at the start of this week, and was planning to drive back to the yard Sunday night ready for a Monday morning start, but at 6.15 pm tonight, I received an email saying my employment had been terminated, as “they have no work for me”.

Now, to the best of my knowledge, they are still recruiting new drivers (and have been for some time), and many of the music tour drivers don’t work between tours, because they won’t do general haulage work, yet none of them get sacked! I have been there ten months and have had several weeks where there has been little or no work, but never been sacked!

Legally, I don’t think I have a leg to stand on because of the type of contract I signed, but with no notice given, and no previous warnings, I feel that this would be seen as terrible behaviour from any employer. I have always been reliable, got the job done on time or early and got on with everyone else, so I must admit to being a bit stunned, and feeling that there was another agenda going on here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ghost

Sadly until you get two years continuous employment under your belt they can sack you any time they like with impunity (unless it’s racially/■■■■■■ based)
As its a zero hours contract they don’t even need to say they’ve terminated your contract, they can just keep saying there’s no hours and there’s little you can do.
At least by them being up front with you it means you can concentrate on finding new work instead of waiting for this other lot to call your phone.
Good luck with the new search.

Yes, much as I thought, although I did find some useful information about zero hours contracts on the ACAS site that are worth reading for other drivers in similar situations. Thanks for the reply though.

Ghost

No matter what the contract says or how long you have been there you must be treated fairly and you haven’t been.

Get to the citizens advice or ACAS and seek advice. If you Have the time and inclination to chase it all up and follow it through you should be looking at unfair dismissal.

Just a note on this less than 2 years bit - one of my customers has had three members of management giving evidence in a tribunal over two days and they lost. This was a young lady who had only been there a few months, was hopeless and was sacked - unfortunately they sacked her in an unfair way (no notice, just told verbally etc ) which is why she won. They were advised to settle out of court but they insisted they couldn’t lose based on the 2 year thing … … … … Then lost!!!