Average hours

Having a chat with my Transport manager today, and he informed me that i need to keep an eye on my average hours as i’m over the 48 average.

Working mostly 5 days at the moment and average about 60 hours a week, Don’t really get much chance of using poa or an extra break as i’m either driving or on other work.

he mentioned to me about having time off to reduce my hours, but said that it would be unpaid. Is this right?

Many Thanks

Lee

If you’re salaried then it’s happy days as you’ll still get paid for time off. If however you are hourly paid then I’m afraid he’s probably right. If you are employed full time then taking holidays won’t do you any good as each day on holiday (paid) counts as 8 hours for wtd purposes.

Your problem boils down to poor time management of your behalf unfortunately. Not having a pop at you btw, just stating facts. You write that you average 12 hours a day but cannot get more breaks or POA in, but unless you are maxxing your driving hours out daily then I find that hard to believe.

Rightly or wrongly we have a way to shortcut excessive wtd hours (we can argue whether or not it’s morally right on another thread) but you can help yourself out by sticking it on break at every opportunity. Eg when you’re sat in a queue waiting to tip stick it on break, you don’t need to get a 15 or a 45 in as 5,6, or 7 minutes on break will knock that time off your working time. When you’re having that 10 minutes cuppa with your mates stick it on break too.

I’m not saying that working every hour God sends is the way forward, but if you are doing long hours you need to know how to play the game.

Not maximising my driving as the majority of my work is Other work with about 4 hours of driving a day. So grab a break when i’m nearing the 6 hours and then another 15 minutes before heading back.

Shall start putting it on break or poa where i can.

Many Thanks

Lee

leegti6:
Having a chat with my Transport manager today, and he informed me that i need to keep an eye on my average hours as i’m over the 48 average.

Its up to your TM to manage those hours as the TM plans your runs

No big worries as it seems the authorities are not interested in WTD - at least they have not been since it started years ago

That time of year again, Over 48 average hours again.

my rough day includes between 6.5 hours to 7 hours driving with around an hour and ten minutes of breaks. with the rest of the time on other work, my hours are between 12hours and 13 hours a night.

They are dropping me down to a 4 day week to help reduce my hours, which i understand and except. I’m just wondering what people’s thoughts and opinions are if they were to give me the week off? as i’ve heard they have done this before for other drivers and have heard it’s been unpaid. My question is this, Is it right that the driver doesn’t get paid for this. As the driver has a contract to be paid for 40 hours a week?

Many Thanks

Lee

Ask them why they are bothering when the authorities do not give a hoot

ROG:
Ask them why they are bothering when the authorities do not give a hoot

My company does a lot of things that you don’t normally worry about, like Domestic drivers filling out tacho and doing the cpc course as well.