Safety, finger sewn back on!

hello. just a bit of advice needed?

been with my employer just over a week, we deliver woodchip, the way i was shown to tip this was to open both posts on the drivers side, then open one at a time on the passenger side so the jcb could push the woodchip off.

i did this, and after brushing my trailer down proceeded to replace the posts!

becouse both posts are out on the drivers side the trailer posts bottom out a little, i managed to get the front one on the bed of the trailer, was about to wind it up when the rear one slipped off the trailer thus all the weight transferred to the front with my thumb trapped underneath!!

after 5 mins off agony and shouting for help i managed to get someone to raise the rear post freeing my thumb…

i spent all day yesterday in hospital getting the tip off my thumb sewn back on…

i phoned work up and asked will i recieve any sick pay, they replied no you will get ssp!!!

I NEARLY LOST MY THUMB THRO THEIR UNSAFE UNLOADING PROCEDURES AND THEY ARNT BOTHERED!!!

PLEAS COULD YOU HELP■■?

THANKS GEOFF JONES…( aka tom thumb)

Although you may only get SSP, you could be intitled to claim compensation from your employers for your injury and for loss of earnings and you should seek advice about this, make sure that your accident details were put into the accident book at the company you were delivering to, if they wern’t, have it put into the accident book where you work. Are you in a union? if so they will assist you in any claims you make
hope you get better soon

Might be worth contacting the HSE to get your employer’s training procedures assessed as to their adequacy, also their working procedures and any instruction you may have had.

Doing agency work I always felt Biffa had it about right on the health & safety front.
A form is filled out with each step being ticked off & then both you & the TM signing at the bottom.
If each company took this much care we would all be a lot safer & it only takes a sheet of paper & 10 minutes.

Sorry to here that mate. This might help.
Every employer as to ensure you are trained to do the task they have given you to do.
If you employ more than 5 people you have to have in writing a safe work method statement and risk assessment for tasks/work carried out.
If they have not got one, you will definitely be entitled to compo.
Get it in the accident book and inform the HSE.
A mate of mine while loading jumped on a fork truck to see if this half stacked pallet would fit on the top of another. It would’nt and before he had climbed down the fork truck driver let down the forks chopping off all his toes on one foot.
He was obviously partly to blame but because the company had no method statement and risk assesment and had not provided with correct PPE (safety boots) he got a few grand out of them.