I have a nasty feeling

I’m being tracked. Now I havn’t found a antenna yet, so I can’t use the tinfoil I’ve bought , but overheard in the office today (whilst waiting for a new windscreen/vehicle to arrive :unamused:), was “find out where he is.” “Can we track this one?” “Shhhhh, not so loud, their’s a driver out their you [zb].”

Do they have to legally inform you you’r under surveillance. Personally it doesn’t bother me, 'cause he can check to tacho’s to see what I’ve been doing and the job’s good, but it’s be nice to know."

Cheers

Ian.

ive had trucks with trackers on at longs they all have trackers but didnt use them cos it was 2 expensive.

i would just carry on until pulled.

This link suggests that they have a legal responsibility to inform you:

adviceguide.org.uk/index/lif … t_work.htm

Secret monitoring

Some employers monitor their workers without informing them that this is happening, for example, by use of hidden cameras or audio devices. This is very rarely legal. Guidance under data protection law says that secret monitoring should not be allowed in private areas at work, such as staff toilets, unless there is serious crime involved, such as drug dealing.

Does a sleeper cab count as a private area ?.
I have driven for several companies where trackers are used & know they can be used as much in our defence as against us & have never had any problem in driving these vehicles.
But if someone is tracking without informing then I would presume they are doing so for a with some underhand & anti driver motive in mind & would want to know why they are doing so.

do they provide you with a phone??

from a telecom company website

location service

In the beginning, a mobile phone did exactly what it said on the box, you dialed a number, spoke to somebody and then hung up. A few years on, we still make voice calls but over the next year, you will see an increasingly number of location-based services on offer. With 50% of mobile phone conversations begin with “where are you?”, what could location based services do for the transport industry. ********* thinks they have the answer.

********** customers can now locate their phones/vehicles, simply by logging on to our website. You will not have to invest in costly equipment anymore nor will you have to invest in software, or other office based equipment.

View your phones location with maps that zoom from country right down to street level.

1. Log in to **********
  2. Click on the target icon next to the relevant mobile phone number
  3. View the location of your phone on a map. The ‘red arrow’ marks where the mobile phone is located and always displays in the central tile of the map. Extra information displayed with the position includes the accuracy of the location, the handset user name and the time the position was recorded.

Yes Denis, they do. Hmmmm. I think I’ll start altering my routes, sticking to similar times and see if questions are asked :wink:.

lib if you are bering activly tracked then the company must inform you of this if they did not inform you the the veihcle was being actively tracked and you werre sack then you would have cause for recompense at antribuneral also this must be in you contract that evidence collated by a tracking device may be used by the company to against you in a diciplinary if there playing thoughs games leave now and save you self some greif some new cab phones from orange i think haved this feature rob will know the one im on about and could post a pic as the new scanias at archbolds have them

Whats the problem with the company tracking the vehicle? Surely the company are allowed to know where you are, they are paying the bills and your wages.

If you are at work, any good transport manager will know where you are without a satellite.

I would sooner they use the tracker to find out where I am, than having the phone ringing every 10 minutes. They can also see how many hours you have used, or slept, which makes planning easier

If Im carrying targetable goods, I want the company to know where I am, in case i get thieving scumbags with a roll of gaffer tape

All our wagons are fitted with trackers and to be honest you soon forget about them.
There use means I never hear from the office unless I phone them or they need me to pick up a load

Wheel Nut:
Whats the problem with the company tracking the vehicle?

It would have been nice to have not been kept in the dark about it, don’t you think? As it is, I don’t have a problem with it. I thought I’d allready said that.

I think your about right David, I very rarley get a 'phone call from them and it’s job and finish for me, so their’s nothing extra to plan anyway :laughing:.

I think I posted something about this in the old forums about three years ago. From memory, they should inform you.

Try searching for the Guidlines to the Data Protection Act.

Alternatively, ask who is the Data Protection Manager, and ask them directly. If they lie, then they are in serious trouble.

I used to do Agency work for Turners, and although no-one directly informed me that the vehicles were being ‘tracked’, it was common knowledge. It never bothered me. I still picked my own routes. I still stopped when I wanted to. And it certainly cuts down on the phone calls. I’ve even seen the system in action at Exning. It can even be a bonus when you can’t find premises because they can see exactly where you are and talk you in.

It sounds like they are treating it as a new toy. The attraction will soon wear off once they realize that drivers know their job and that there is little to be gained by sitting there looking at a screen when they could be doing better things.