Blood testing for pro drivers

Hi fellow drivers,

Question, Can DVLA demand that you provided a blood sample on suspision of alchol abuse? Even when I have a clean licience and you have never been convicted of any driving offence in 25 years professional driving?

I have nothing to hide and will do the standard medical. However, a goverment body , instructing a goverment sponsered doctor, to take body fluids via an assult seems a bit over the top. DVLA have not stated what parameters that there investigation will go into, even though it is meant to be specifically for alchol abuse. If I have to give blood I will do so. But it is a real invasion of privicy

Remember now we have European human rights legislation! What do you think guys? They say they have the right under the 1988 Road Traffic Act, well I cannot find the specific bit granting them authority for blood testing.

I’ve nothing to hide so they can do it!! There’s a time and a place for the ‘invasion of privacy/human rights’ excuses; i’d rather save it for a time that I really need it instead of calling it for every little thing. :unamused:

The only thing that would bother me is the ‘needles’ bit…not very good at them in my old age. :blush:

I don’t know if they can demand a blood sample, however if you have a history of alcohol abuse ie have been medically treated for it and it is shown on your records it will affect your entitlement to an LGV licence and the Doctor is required to declare it. If you have no history of alcohol abuse then they have no reason to request a sample and would say have no right to.

Cheers for that guys, I know that I am over reacting but I value my driving licences as much as the next driver and I am scared of losing them. Perhaps I should accept more responsibility for my actions as this has been a long time coming.

DVLA pay for the medical examination and were informed of my ‘condition’ via the traffic commmissioners. Lets see what happens. They give you 21 days to comply with there request or they suspend your licence.

marcustandy:
I’ve nothing to hide so they can do it!! There’s a time and a place for the ‘invasion of privacy/human rights’ excuses; i’d rather save it for a time that I really need it instead of calling it for every little thing. :unamused:

The only thing that would bother me is the ‘needles’ bit…not very good at them in my old age. :blush:

I’m about the same. I wouldn’t mind, but if they came near me with a needle, I’d be out the door like a shot :open_mouth:.