WTD

I do non driving related work Monday to Friday. To gain expereience what driving can I legally do at weekend taking into account this WTD.

Also whats this period of availability about, and do I register it on the tacho same as other work / rest.

Not sure I’ve said this before but Welcome to Trucknet Jed.

Depending on how many hours you do at the day job will govern what you can do at evenings/ weekends, etc.

The WTD says an average of 48 hrs/week over a 17/26 week period, depending on which cycle your firm choose to use.

In any one week you can do more than 48 hrs provided the average is not exceeded.

However there is an option for occaisional drivers who do not drive more than 11 duties in 16 weeks or 16 duties in 26 weeks to be exempt from the WTD.

As an occaisional driver the important thing to remember is that the Tacho rules are more likely to catch you out but before you do a full driving duty you need to show a minimum 9hr rest period.

I no longer drive full time but do a regular Friday night shift signing on at 7pm. I can do this as my day job allows me to work flexibly so I do my 35hrs in 4 days Mon-Thurs and do the odd three hours on a Friday morning working from home, this way I get a 9hr rest in before 7pm.

I can then work up to 15hrs with a 10hr driving period, finish by 10 am Saturday and still get a 45hr weekly rest in before 7 am Monday.

If I work in the week (Mon - Thurs) I can only do 8hrs duty and must then show a minimum 9hr rest before going back to the day job, and then only once a week due to Fridays requirements, if I did more than one evening of 8hrs duty Mon - Wed I would need to show an 11hr rest period before starting the day job again. A second 8hr duty would exclude Thurs due to the need to get the 3hrs in on a Friday am.

As I said for me its easy because as long as I work 35 hrs, when I do them is up to me, I’m not customer facing or delivering to a schedule in the day job.

I’m lucky to have found a niche job for Hanley’s that no one wanted to fill (Friday Night) that gets me behind the wheel and driving again and gets Hanley’s out of a fix.

A friend of mine keeps saying that we,ve/going to veteo it, or it’s not going to
come in till 2012 in this country, any one heard anything about this to settle
an argument?

sidan:
A friend of mine keeps saying that we,ve/going to veteo it, or it’s not going to
come in till 2012 in this country, any one heard anything about this to settle
an argument?

you are getting confused with the Working Time Directive

We have to abide by the rules of the RTD Road Tansport Directive, and there is no veto for mobile workers, do a search on WTD / RTD on this forum, there are pages and pages of it.

o.k. thanks, but does anyone know if the wtd has been/will be vetoed,
just out of curiosity?

some people will feel abliged to work excessive hours to stay in a job,
while others will want to work more hours to earn more dosh, it works
both roads doesn’t it.