17 or 26 weeks?

Forgive my naievity, but which reference period would you good people recommend and why?

I’m trying to get to grips with the WTD and my company’s insistence on using the 26 week reference period. The other drivers held a mass meeting last week and it was more or less decided that we should vote for the 17 week reference period in an upcoming ballot. My impression was that the 17 week proposal was just to oppose what the company wants - had the company insisted on 17 weeks we’d have been asked to opt for 26 weeks.

As you can gather I am not too clued up on this thing and I just want to know which reference period is preferrential and why you think so.

We heard today of one driver who completed his ballot paper (which were handed out last night and this morning) and handed it in to the traffic office this morning before going out on his first job. On his return to the yard he was summoned to the boss’s office and was asked to explain why he’d opted for the 17 week period and not the preferred 26 week option!!!

So far this week 5 of our drivers have walked, with many more threatening similar action unless the company up their pay rate. At the moment nothing has been said one way or the other, but the company seem hell-bent on wanting us to do 60+ hours for 48 hours pay at our current rate. I for one won’t be sticking around if that stance continues past 4/4/2005. Until then however, I will stay put until the company make a move one way or the other.

Kind Regards,

Paul-D.

Paul,

Do you still feel you did the right thing walking away from RR?

It sounds like there is a fair bit of unrest at your place. :astonished:

marcustandy:
Paul,

Do you still feel you did the right thing walking away from RR?

It sounds like there is a fair bit of unrest at your place. :astonished:

Yes. Absolutely.

There might be a wee bit of unrest, but I’m still getting a buzz out of driving again. I’ve made some great new friends in such a short space of time - more than I did in my whole time at RR. I know I’ve done the right thing.

Kind Regards,

Paul-D.

As I see it, the 26 week option is to cater for any sector(s) of the Industry where there is a seasonal variation.

Typical examples might be the Building Trades suppliers, Domestic Fuels & Gas deliveries.

I think you said you were back on skips. You will know better than most of us whether the work demand follows any predictable fluctuations.

I suggest the main problem with your employer is communication.

What many drivers seem to have failed to grasp is that whichever system is utlised, when the employee has reached 712 Working Hours (in a 17 week system), then, if that happens in week 14 or 15, then he must be laid off. I.E. Can’t be used for other tasks, can’t go Agency driving, can’t take Holiday, and if the reason for those hours being accrued is because the driver himself has failed to record non-Working Time accurately, then employers will be treating that as Negligence and withholding pay.

It’s not going to happen in every case, but there is a strong argument for employers to adopt a “Basic + Bonuses” structure which will hit those less detailed (and possibly inventive) in their Time Management recording.