Removal of Tacho

The company I work for are changing the way their Hub is operated.

When a driver arrives at the hub he will park his vehicle, remove his Tacho go for an hours break. During his break the vehicle will be moved by a shunter.

On return to his vehicle he will mark the Tacho on the back to show an hours break reinsert the tacho. Select the relevant symbol for PoA.

The driver is not changing vehicles.

Does anyone know if this is legal.

I have heard that they say if the persons that can ask for you to remove your Tacho are the ministry a police officer a traffic Warden the cpc holder or representatives that are instructed to do so by the cpc holder.

Does anyone know if this is true.

Any help or advice greatly received.

you will find that it is legal ,as the lorry is being moved and you are not in control of the vehicle in that time as you are on rest and the vehicle is being moved by some one else,and you are not doing a two man operation are you.also if you are that worried tell the trafic manager that
you wish to have a covering letter from the firm that will be able to show
any one who controls you why and who authorised the removal ,make sure that the letter is on headed paper witha reference no… so now
should haveno more worrys

Mike:
I have heard that they say if the persons that can ask for you to remove your Tacho are the ministry a police officer a traffic Warden the cpc holder or representatives that are instructed to do so by the cpc holder.

I think you are suggesting that these are the only people that can remove a chart during the working day.

The chart is the driver’s record of his work and if he needs to remove it to calculate accrued driving/when a break is due, then there is nothing to prevent him doing so.

The only caveat being that if it is removed for more than five minutes, then he may be expected to justify it.

Writing on the back, “Removed for break at …depot” is all that is required.

That sounds ok, it is written in the rules that you can make a manual record, especially if there is a chance the truck may be moved by someone else, like a fitter or a shunter!

Just make sure if you are manually recording an hour break, then you are only drinking tea and not pulling a pallet barrow :stuck_out_tongue:

It might be an idea to stick a blank card in when you remove yours, just to prove it to Vosa. Cover your arse

Wheel Nut:
It might be an idea to stick a blank card in when you remove yours, just to prove it to Vosa. Cover your arse

Excellent tip Wheel Nut and I have noted it down
just in case for future reference :smiley: .

Krankee:
The chart is the driver’s record of his work and if he needs to remove it to calculate accrued driving/when a break is due, then there is nothing to prevent him doing so.

Except in Belgium where they will nick you, or try to, for just opening the tacho head never mind leaving the card out for a minute or two. :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: .