Rest Hours Reduction querie

I Know from first hand experience that the Employer CANNOT under any circumstances force a driver to reduce his / her rest period.

I recieved a call one afternoon whilst in Harlow from a TDG Assistant Transport Manager insisting I be back at Newton Aycliffe for 7am :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I still had 2 deliveries to do which would take me to 5pm the journey back was something like 5 1\2 hrs and I needed my rest, I was told to start heading back and take a 9hr reduction to which I refused, I was advised that if I did not get back for 7 am, things could be pretty bad as the company I was contracted to may ask for me to be taken off the contract :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My Reply simply went something like, Well you’ll have to find another contract to put me on then as I wont be back for 7am :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sarcastically he replied You Will !!!

Anyway, when I arrived back at 9.30am he was not a happy bunny and was full of threats about my employment with TDG, I simply took out my mobile phone and called Graham Bird the URTU Regional Rep, the assistant TM’s face was a picture when I stood in front of him telling Graham the story :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A Meeting was held with top brass where it was pointed out that the Drivers legislation actually states “A Driver May Reduce his daily rest period to 9 hrs on no more than 3 occassions”

There is absolutely nothing in the legislation which permits an employer to reduce the drivers rest period without his / her consent :wink: :wink: :wink: