Another..... 'Am I Legal?'

I am currently working 6 shifts a week as follows:

Monday 15.00 - 23.00
Tuesday 15.00 - 23.00
Wed 15.00 - 23.00
Thursday 15.00 - 23.00
Friday 15.00 - 23.00

Sunday 19.30 - 23.00

Is this legal as far as weekly rest is concerned. Can I make my reduced rest up during the following week (attached to a daily rest). And can I keep working 6 shifts a week on this pattern legally.

I’ve rang VOSA twice and got two different answers. Second one mentioned spreadovers. (help!) Now totally confused. Would I still be legal if Sunday shift rolled over to 01.30 monday?

This is a minefield! Everybody has a different opinion.

About to get worse it think, with the WTD!

Thanks for your help.

Daff

From the information supplied you have a weekly rest of 44 1/2 hours between 23:00 Friday and 19:30 Sunday. This is a reduction of 30 minutes which needs to be paid back in one block.

Since you have 16 hours rest every day in the following week you can do this on any the following week. Because of this you will be able to work this shift pattern every week without breaking the law.

Even if your Sunday shift went on until 01:30 on Monday morning you would still be legal as your daily rest is still sufficient and has not reduced your weekly rest any more.

Hope this is of help.

Thanks for the reply Wiretwister. You have put my mind at rest.

I’ve never worked a 6 shift week before, neither have I had to reduce weekly rest. Still on that learning curve!

Daff