Sports News: Saturday roundup

Hi Guys

For Pat and any other petrolheads stateside try this for F1

it’s the official site and they even have live timing during the races, I usually have my laptop set up on the network with live timing going as I watch the races on ITV (what a trainspotter :unamused: :unamused: )

they also do a written commentary during the race, not as fast or as good as Martin Brundle and James Allen tho’

have fun

Jules

thanks Boots, other sites worth looking at are.

www.planet-f1.com

www.f1live.com

Important news from this week

Leeds 0
Middlesbrough 3(three) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Soccer
Leeds hold Chelsea
Chelsea stay top of the Premiership despite a 1-1 draw with lowly Leeds United.

Leicester 1-1 Arzenal
Man Utd 4-0 Aston Villa
Tottenham 5-2 Wolves
Newcastle 1-1 Liverpool
Birmingham 0-4 Blackburn
Middlesbrough 0-0 Portsmouth
Fulham 2-1 Bolton

P GD PTS 
1 Chelsea         15 19 36 
2 Arzenal         15 18 35 
3 Man Utd         15 20 34 
4 Fulham          15  7 25 
5 Liverpool       15  6 22 
6 Charlton        14  3 22 
7 Newcastle       15  1 21 
8 Birmingham      15 -6 20 
9 Middlesbrough   15 -3 19 
10 Man City       14  3 18 
11 Tottenham      15 -2 18 
12 Bolton         15 -7 18 
13 Southampton    14  1 17 
14 Blackburn      15 -1 17 
15 Leicester City 15  0 16 
16 Portsmouth     15 -3 16 
17 Aston Villa    15 -10 14 
18 Everton        14 -4 13 
19 Leeds United   15 -21 12 
20 Wolves         15 -21 11

FA CUP SECOND ROUND
SATURDAY’S GAMES

Bournemouth 1-1 Accrington 
Bristol City 0-0 Barnsley 
Cheltenham 3-1 Leyton Orient 
Colchester 1-0 Aldershot 
Gravesend 1-2 Notts County 
Hornchurch 0-1 Tranmere 
Macclesfield 1-1 Cambridge 
Northampton 4-1 Weston S-Mare 
Oldham 2-5 Blackpool 
Peterborough 3-2 Grimsby 
Rochdale 0-2 Luton 
Scunthorpe 2-2 Sheff Wed 
Southend 3-0 Lincoln 
Swansea 2-1 Stevenage 
Woking 0-3 Kidderminster 
Yeovil 5-1 Barnet

Cricket
England draw test in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka fail by one wicket to win the first Test as bad light comes to England’s rescue on the final day in Galle.

And that’s all that’s fit to print.

I notice Northampton beat Weston Supermare by 4 to 1 !!!

weston Super mare must have not turned up.

A few weeks back I was driving down I 91 in northern Mass, I saw a milage sign that read ‘Northampton 4’
‘Springfield 18’

With a score like that no wonder they were relegated.

Nice one Alikat!..very much appreciated :smiley:

That’s quite alright Cliff, you will get one of these a week. Partly to avoid flooding the forums with every single sports result immaginable, and mostly, because I have enough to do already. :wink:

If I missed YOUR favorite team or sport off the above post, then do let me know.

Being serious for a moment (if I can find that possible) thank you for the results Allicat.

Maybe you could do the same in sumer for Formula One ?

I have speedvision and never miss a GP but lots of others don’t have it.

:smiley: WOO HOO!! Leicester drew against Arsenal

Bully

I will try to sort F1 out in the summer, but since what I’m doing next summer depends on the US Embassy more than anything else…

Kinda tricky to keep an eye on the F1/footy results from the cab of an antique Freightshaker somewhere in the midwest, as you know yourself.

See you lot on the roads over there next summer - I hope…

You can put satelite TV in your Frieghtshaker, lots of guys do, Speedvision is Ch 122 or about that area. :smiley:

Cliff, even better news…

Chelsea won again last night…finished top of their group and are now in the last sixteen of the European Champions League!!!

cheers
STEVE.

Woooo, woooo…Keep the good news coming Steve!..I’ll be arriving ‘home’ next week for Xmas!, maybe I’ll get a chance to watch 'em live again.

Sorry,But can,t read all this ex-pat stuff about some london team begining with c—,there is another club of the red shirts,you can take the boy from the north,but not the north from the boy.

here you go cliff from http://www.sportal.com/sportal_portal/index.jsp

GERMAN TEST FOR BLUES
Chelsea will face German league leaders Stuttgart in the first knockout stage of the Champions League.

Stuttgart, who have conceded just three goals in 15 Bundesliga matches, finished behind Manchester United in Group E but beat Sir Alex Ferguson’s side at the Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion.

Claudio Ranieri’s expensively-assembled squad impressed in the group stages, with a home defeat to Besiktas the only real blip.

The Blues beat Lazio home and away en route to topping the group, with a 4-0 victory over the Italian side at the Stadio Olimpico particularly gratifying for Ranieri and his team.

History is on their side, with Chelsea having beaten Stuttgart to win the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1998.

And the Blues are urging UEFA to impose strict security conditions when they return to Germany.

There are already fears that a large number of Turkish fans, who live in the city, will try and attend the first leg of the first knock-out stage.

Chelsea’s anxiety stems from the match this week in Gelsenkirchen when missiles thrown by Besiktas fans rained down on the dugout.

That has resulted in UEFA opening disciplinary proceedings against the Turkish club, even though the game was played in neutral Germany.

Chelsea interim chief executive Paul Smith said: "Stuttgart is one of the centres for the local Turkish population.

"So if any of them are interested in coming to see the team that knocked out Besiktas then this time around they need to behave.

“The only issue we have concerns about is that UEFA has a very strong control over the crowd.”

Smith believes the momentum is with the club going into the match against Stuttgart.

Chelsea defeated Lazio and Besiktas away on their way to winning the group while the Bundesliga leaders lost 2-0 to Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Smith said: "There is a real momentum and expectation at the club that the team progressively will be among the elite in Europe.

"This is the kind of experience (facing Stuttgart) we want to have.

“We did well in the group away from home against Lazio and Besiktas. If we can repeat that level of performance then I think we need not be too worried.”

Smith also revealed the Stamford Bridge club would attempt to gain an advantage by consulting Premiership rivals Manchester United.

The Old Trafford side were in the same group as Stuttgart, beating them in midweek to ensure they topped the group.

Smith told Sky Sports News: "It is very interesting for us. Stuttgart are a very good team, top of the Bundesliga and very young.

“As always when there’s an England v Germany clash then there is a lot of media interest. I’m looking for to this one.”

Asked whether Chelsea will consult United, he added: "I think there may be some co-operation. We know Manchester United very well and we’ll try to learn as much as we can.

“We like to play in Germany as we demonstrated on Wednesday (in the win over Besiktas). I think everyone will be looking forward to this one very much.”

so bring on ze germans

jon

Cheers Jon! :smiley:

Froggy., you need to support a ‘good’ team, why waste your time with that northern riff-raff :wink: :laughing: