H&r transport facts please

Hi as the title says does anyone know there current rates for a company driver also do they pay waiting time. What’s the average take home pay. Cheers guys

i worked for h&r last year they were paying 42cents a mile.you are only earning when the truck is moving, however i did not stop very often only for rest periods as i dont run bent. i earned about £2400.00 net a month although you can earn more if you want to be imaginative with the log book,however the fine as in gb are unforgiving.i had the best time whilst there and had no problems, sadly i had to return to gb as i was unable to sell my house, but i would love to go back.

TiggerTigger, you had a good experience there, many have not, nice to see a different view of the place, especially as they’re having a recruiting drive in GB this year, I could be cynical and mention that your post is a bit coincidental, but I won’t (although I kinda did already :laughing: )

I see you converted your wages back to GBP, what were you pulling home nett in $'s ?

What did an average month’s work consist of? Miles? Destinations? Night or Day running? Resetting OTR or at home? How much waiting time?

tiggertigger:
i worked for h&r last year they were paying 42cents a mile.you are only earning when the truck is moving, however i did not stop very often only for rest periods as i dont run bent. i earned about £2400.00 net a month although you can earn more if you want to be imaginative with the log book,however the fine as in gb are unforgiving.i had the best time whilst there and had no problems, sadly i had to return to gb as i was unable to sell my house, but i would love to go back.

42c a mile in Canada, USA or both?
How much per hour were you paid for detention pay?
How much were you paid for unrequested layovers?
How long did you work for them?
Are you suggesting people might fiddle their log books to earn better money?

at a rough guess thats about $5k give or take i would say.
I got my interview o this saturday so a good few questions there for me to ask

$2400 a month US is really bad, $2400 a month Canadian is a disgrace :open_mouth:
How is anyone supposed to live on that ?

Just by sheer coincidence I was fueling next to an H&R truck at Schodack landing Pilot last night, nice looking truck driven by a bloke on very low wages obviously :laughing:

Pat, the 2400 was quoted as being in pound notes, with current exchange rates that works out to around $4000 a month, which is pretty average money for OTR up here, you don’t sit around much if you’re earning that much either if you’re netting that, you’re grossing mid five to six :wink:

I was chatting to an ex H&R driver a few weeks back on the radio, he left to go on day work, well nights actually, but whatever, he said that he enjoyed H&R, good equipment, good miles, nice sunny destinations and all the rest of it, but he conceded that he was the exception to the rule amongst the Brits, and for that matter the Canadians too :laughing: He lasted five years though, so there is a good job there, if you happen to have a face that fits, good job I’m settled at PBT and you’re happy at Foodliner Pat, we’d have no chance with a face that only a mother could love :open_mouth: :wink:

You are happy, I am happy but I am amazed at some of the guys on my company who think they have it rough ? I can only talk about Yonkers terminal but the pay is better than they will find anywhere else in the US (except Walmart maybe) and they are ungratefull, even on slack weeks like this last one where one of them worked 3 days and covered about 600 miles, the others did hardly anything and I did 1278 miles, started at one minute past midnight monday AM and finished at home at 09.00am friday off till monday again.
Not one of the greedy sods will get less than their guaranteed minimum, which is far higher than the average national wage.

I think that’s drivers all over pat. I’ve worked good firms and drivers still find something to ■■■■■ about.

Pat Hasler:
You are happy, I am happy but I am amazed at some of the guys on my company who think they have it rough ? I can only talk about Yonkers terminal but the pay is better than they will find anywhere else in the US (except Walmart maybe) and they are ungratefull, even on slack weeks like this last one where one of them worked 3 days and covered about 600 miles, the others did hardly anything and I did 1278 miles, started at one minute past midnight monday AM and finished at home at 09.00am friday off till monday again.
Not one of the greedy sods will get less than their guaranteed minimum, which is far higher than the average national wage.

A three day work week and only have to drive 600 miles, that’s my kind of job :sunglasses: :smiley:

Like i tell’em in the office ‘i came here to work but i did’nt come here to work hard’ :wink:

We have slack times at Wal-Mart too Pat but no minimum pay like you, but they do try to share the work evenly amongst the drivers, so everyone suffers not just one or two. :cry: :wink: :wink:

Back to H&R, seen quite a few in the north east this week so they have US freight but i’ve not talked to any of their drivers yet.

Had my interview with H&R yesterday daown in Reaing and to be honest they didnt come across to bad. Sure I know they feed you all the BS I know that but at least if you wanna get home after 2 weeks away then they do the best. Seems they do a lot going down to Texas and same for cali. Find out mid April if good to go or not

taffytrucker:
Had my interview with H&R yesterday daown in Reaing and to be honest they didnt come across to bad. Sure I know they feed you all the BS I know that but at least if you wanna get home after 2 weeks away then they do the best. Seems they do a lot going down to Texas and same for cali. Find out mid April if good to go or not

All companies give you a line of BS “do their best” is what they all say, I have heard that line so many times it a joke, when you are actually out on te road they all seem to do their best to keep you out, it’s like they feel if they bring you home you will quit, which in fact keeping a man out for too long does bring about.

Had an interveiw today and as taffy trucker says it does come across great in the interveiw but I’m enough of a realist to know if a company is recruiting from another continent it might not be a great gig. But if it comes off it may work out for me with them or it may not its a chance il take.

kr79:
Had an interveiw today and as taffy trucker says it does come across great in the interveiw but I’m enough of a realist to know if a company is recruiting from another continent it might not be a great gig. But if it comes off it may work out for me with them or it may not its a chance il take.

lol i think we all been there where promised the earth and end up stuck in folkestone for the weekend instad of being home, I agree though its a chance you gotta take as never know what may or may not happen. Also did you see on back of the newsletter you are given they are starting the road trains to, now thats a challange and a half

As there are new people looking at this H&R deal, I thought I’d chime in with some useful advice…

Do not consider it unless you can make a research trip, the area around the main Lethbridge terminal is quite nice, plenty of people, houses, schools, work for wives etc, it’s also an hour or so south of Calgary, so that part is all good, but the main part of moving to Canada is the job you will be doing :bulb:

Obviously H&R have a lot of work, they’re a fair size company, run decent equipment and have runs to nice destinations, but there is also a lot of negativity surrounding them, to find out the real story you’re better off hanging around the local truckstops/industrial areas and speaking to the drivers that are already doing the job, then you’ll get a better idea of how things really work and can then make an informed decision :wink:

taffytrucker:

kr79:

lol i think we all been there where promised the earth and end up stuck in folkestone for the weekend instad of being home, I agree though its a chance you gotta take as never know what may or may not happen. Also did you see on back of the newsletter you are given they are starting the road trains to, now thats a challange and a half

Good luck if you decide to come over.As NMM rightly says,a recce trip is vital,fly to Calgary and hire a car for the week,have a good look around,check housing,the company ,etc,money well spent.
Don’t rush into driving turnpikes(roadtrains),can be very boring as you only run the Prairies,and Calgary to Winnipeg is the most boring highway in the world,worse the further East you go :laughing: .They’re not much fun on the ice ,and pay is only slightly better than running a single trailer.Could be alright if you don’t like heights as they don’t use them in the mountains.

flat to the mat:
As NMM rightly says,

worse the further East you go :laughing:

You did quite well at first, but then your post went downhill, don’t make me use my new powers on you :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:

flat to the mat:
As NMM rightly says,

worse the further East you go :laughing:

You did quite well at first, but then your post went downhill, don’t make me use my new powers on you :laughing: :laughing:

HaHa,not only are you an attention seeking ■■■■■,but also a closet meglamaniac,(no personal insult intended as per forum guidelines,just an observation) :laughing: :laughing:

I’d turn in to adolf hitler if I was a moderator you would all be facing my wrath.