My boss wants British drivers

Can somebody tell me whether or not having a cousin and a half cousin is enough for me from the sponsorship point of view■■?

Cheers

Hi Irlam, I don’t think it is to come to the States, I had a cousin here too, when I first tried, and him and his wife said they would sponsor me, but to no avail. It has to be immediate blood relative, such as Father, Mother, Brother, Sister, its kinda ■■■■, but thats what the Yanks want.

Hope it didnt burst the bubble.

Stuart

Thanks for the help save me wading through the website which I didnt find at all helpful.

The new regulations that G W Bush has outlined regarding jobs that can’t be filled by US citizens should help (unless this only applies to Mexicans) try contacting the US Embassy and asking, it can’t hurt, we need drivers over here.

Yes indeed, a 3 year visa, renewable. Should certainly help. But will they let us drive trucks on it?

Learn to speak Spanish and call yourself Mexican and you can have anything you want here in the Good ol’ USA

Stuart

<<<<<_____Now driving a Mercedes SK cabbed Freightliner FL112 for a little while

HI Just found this site.
I live in Brasil, and normally I fly back to Europe to work for 4 months, then come back here to the tropics. I wouldn’t mind working again in the States. I did swinging beef from Colorado to California 20 years ago in a Freightliner. The money sounds roughly the same, and I’m fed up with doing the same old stretches of European motorways. 25 years on the road, no accidents, no convictions no ADR, boxvans, tilts, fridges, have driven most types of truck, including European-style roadtrains, hi-volume
I’m planning to leave Brasil end of March to work again in Europe, but if this boss chap in the US is a reasonable sort of geezer then I’d be up for giving it a go. Where is the work based?
peterberesford@ofm.com.br

Pat is based un in New England, and rural New York area. So I’d assume his boss is reasonably local to that.

Alli, as there are not enough drivers to fill vacancies in this country I can’t see why it would not apply to CDL drivers. All my company needs is for you to take a CDL A test or already have the licence and proof you have driven class one HGV for over a year (a letter from a good ex boss ) :wink:

We are in Fort Ann NY, 6 miles NE of Glens Falls, 60 miles north of Albany NY

I’ll talk to him today, and when I’m done with the harvest, I’ll come by and see him with my Class A CDL, and class 2 UK licence, and see if we can come to an arrangement.

Alli,
Just make sure you get the 3 month vacation visa put onto the end of your harvest visa before you do this.If you are caught by INS it could mean a nasty stay in a deportation centre before being put on a flight home and don’t think about going back to “uncle Sam” for at least 10 years!!! :blush:
Its really easy just to come home and then go back out again for the next years harvest,Two mates are flying out end of march for their 3rd USA harvest in a row.One mate arrived to two foot of snow in N.Dakota on Friday. Jan, The bosslady we worked for on harvest 2002 is coming over to Ireland with her niece to visit with us in April,I’ll put in a good word for you as there are girls on this crew who work all harvest in a mobile office that goes with the harvest crews.

I think Alli is trying to sort out a temp work visa through these new regulations that Bush has come up with. My boss wouldn’t hire anyone without papers, he can’t afford for anyone not be be legal, we only have to travel slightly north to sometimes come across border patrol road blocks.

I’ll ask Jan about these new work visa’s when she comes over to visit, she hires about 40 Kiwi’s,S.Africans and British guy’s n gal’s every year for harvest work between April and December.

Guys…whats this harvest you all talk about here…is it what is seems…getting labour to help with the harvest time etc…me and my wife tried ages ago to come over to the states…I had offers from all over the place just like many others have had. But then the key words were the same…“if you can get out here we will hire you”…I reckon I may stand more chance going to Canada because I have a 26 year old son been there for about 7 years now so I believe that he could sponsor me as such. Any feedback would be appreciated.

If you have a chance of getting to canada and want to you should do it.

The harvest thing seems to be a way of filling the temp driver shortage. I am not sure how it works but Big Truck has done it.
I live here full time because my Wife is a US citizen but even getting the green card through her took 18 months.

Nocturnalone,
The harvest visa is a special visa for the States if you go onto the “Archive” forums and look for my post “trucking USA through the back door” on the ex-pat forum this will give you an idea whats involved.Also “Allikat” from these forums is presently working on going to USA for this years harvest between April and December.

Thanks pat and Big truck for you fast replies…I remember when MS Carriers were advertising in T&D them years ago…you know I should have took that chance then but we all think about it for to long then its to late…same as this thing with Schnieder national as they were a few years ago…same old story…she that must be obeyed…aka “The Wife” was moaning saying Id be away for 9 months and home for 3…you know the normal stuff…then when this phone call from westcan came at 6pm one night we thought this is it…but they just dried up on me…no idea why.

Right then its 5 am and just got in from night trunking so I shall go and look at those archives you mentioned…just a thought came to mind…I got to know a brit in Texas who remembers seeing an MS carriers truck with all the Union Jack Emblems and british Bulldog in the screen…was that you pat.

Right …Thanks for this guys…much appreciated

You’ll find that truck belonged to our famous moderator of this site Cliff Warby,If you look for his posts you’ll see that he used to haul for MS and he also writes a column for “Truck+Driver” :sunglasses:He’s still over there trucking for himself flat out around the Atlanta area and OTR as well.

I’m confused… think I’ve been reading too much… Is it easy to get permits for work in the US or is it a lengthy process? Is it just getting the permanent residency that is taking all the time/money that a lot of the posts mention?
I’m not looking to emigrate, just to do a year or two to get the feel then maybe consider relocating.
I’m 41 y/o class 1 HGV and PSV (never used) both held 15 yrs. Currently working for Onyx Waste Management on Rollonoff and Bulker work. Done Container work subbying for P&O for a couple of years, 3 years with GBE up and down UK had a break from driving between 97-01 then agency work for a year before getting on with Onyx. Prefer to do long haul, could possibly have a mate willing to double man. Don’t mind living in the cab if needed. What do you think are my chances? Is it worth pursuing? Any thoughts gladly received.

I found the link to Cliff`s pages showing his truck and 4x4…ah kev u drive for onyx…aggghhhh…lol…sorry just haveing a laugh. I used to do breakdown recovery and we had a contract with them to recover the motors…man could you boys breakdown in some tight spots…lol…took all my experience some time to get the wrecker into a spot to do the recovery…and then there was the times I had to recover a dustbin truck while it was full…ah man gross laying under them trying to take the prop shaft off…lol