Here's hoping.

Well, I’ve applied to work the harvest over in the States next summer, driving those big long trucks. Odd to think they gross at 8 tonnes less…

All I can say from reading round here is that I am sooo glad I know how to double declutch.

I will keep you all up to date on how it goes as time goes by.

Basicly, I followed Big Truck’s advice on the old forums, and emailed Spencer in Texas, mailto:Agemployment@aol.com, and he got back to me very quickly with "We are always looking for drivers. " along with "The biggest problem we are having with the UK is that all workers must interview at the embassy in London, and the wait for an interview has increased to 6 weeks. " We shall see how it all goes.

Oh, and Cliff? Will I see you on the road over there before I get that email from you? :laughing:

alikat, re the double declutching.
they dont do that in the states. you dont use the clutch at all apart from when moving of and stopping.

They certainly do double declutch here unless the engine brake is disabled, if you don’t the brake comes on making it impossible to re-engage gears.
With the brake off however it’s just like using an eaton twin splitter in most cases.
If I’m loaded to the max I’m damm sure I ain’t ripping along the interstae at 70mph without my engine brake switched on.

Probably not as good as the twin split though :stuck_out_tongue:
Hopefully the engine brake will have a switch on whatever prehistoric motor they give me. Will be ■■■■ wierd to drive without a limiter, and on the wrong side of the road too!

Hope everything goes allright Allicat,if you need any info just give me a yell(Did the harvest thingy last year).
Make sure you get clear details on things like alcohol consumption etc in your “Off” time as some grain cutters have a strange requirement that staff shall not consume ANY alcohol,cigarettes,have a good time etc whilst employed with them at ALL TIMES.Might have something to do with the Mid-West religious beliefs.
Don’t sweat too much about driving the crash boxes and driving on the wrong side of the road as we had blokes that had never driven a truck at all in their life pass their CDL(American Truck Licence) with not much hassles.
The US Embassy interview is just a formality,red tape is the same wherever you go.
Whatever you do when you arrive in the States is don’t joke,antagonise,be sarcastic,flippant at all with any of the INS Customs when you arrive at the airport.They have the most rude,insensitive,obnoxious people ever to have a power trip with a uniform on.
You will have a great time there seeing the real America and meeting real Americans as opposed to just visiting tourist cities and sites.

May end up having an argument with anyone who wants to stop me having a ■■■. Sorry, a ciggy… ahem
Done the “Real USA” last summer, lived for 2 months in NC, and had a pretty good time. The Mountain dew withdrawal wasn’t fun, nor the going back to paying UK ciggy prices afterwards :imp: .
I loved it over there, which is why i want to go back.
Could you tell me what paperwork the embassy will want from me? Some of mine will need tracking down if they want stuff like birth certs and the like.
Last I went there I was very polite to the INS guy, he’s only there to do a job after all. Think I’ll treat him like I did the guy at the Dartford tolls the other day, he almost fainted when I thanked him :stuck_out_tongue: