Super B’s

Hi, anyone on here in Canada pulled Super-B tankers ?
We are hauling water and the company got sent a Super-B outfit, (both trl’s 22,000 ltr’s) from another depot.
We haven’t got room where we unload to run them together.
Last year we ran the back one and it was way under weight but that has now gone to another depot, which leaves us left with the lead trl.
I loaded it and it was 2,650kg over on my drive’s, my steer’s were 5,400kg, and the Tri’s were way under.
Surely adding the back trl won’t lift 2,650kg’s off the drive’s will it? Or am I missing something here ?

Guessing you need a raising plate on the fifth wheel if you intend to run it for a while , air bags on tractor were full ?

Neil. Thinking it through, that lead trailer is set up to run as a set. If the fully laden tail was added I’m pretty sure the weight added to your tri axle would increase, and the fulcrum effect take weight off your drive axles, and possibly add some to your steer. I guess somewhere along the line someone would of worked out king pin weight or % of total weight, king pin to center of axles and possibly bridge weights of combination! Perhaps even a shorter wheel base tractor was originally spec’d adding weight to the steer axle?
Paul

flat to the mat:
Guessing you need a raising plate on the fifth wheel if you intend to run it for a while , air bags on tractor were full ?

Hi FTTM, we have a raised plate on the 5th wheel and airbags were full.

Paul John:
Neil. Thinking it through, that lead trailer is set up to run as a set. If the fully laden tail was added I’m pretty sure the weight added to your tri axle would increase, and the fulcrum effect take weight off your drive axles, and possibly add some to your steer. I guess somewhere along the line someone would of worked out king pin weight or % of total weight, king pin to center of axles and possibly bridge weights of combination! Perhaps even a shorter wheel base tractor was originally spec’d adding weight to the steer axle?
Paul

Hi Paul, yes, what you say makes sense, don’t see many trucks pulling the lead alone.
I’ve loaded it and scaled it 5 times to get the correct weight and we have to run 5,000ltrs short, which makes for a great driving experience, just like being back at sea again.

If you just pulling a lead on it’s own for a while then would it not be easier to re adjust the levelling valve on the tractor and trailer to try and balance out the ride heights somewhat. As said though, they are meant to run as a set. We got a load of new fuel cans coming in and the pups don’t have landing legs on them! I’d imagine that would cause all sorts of issues in the winter if drivers need to split to pull up a mountain road or something like I have to do often in winter with propane bottles up ski hills.

Is the trailer compartmentalized?

Star down under.:
Is the trailer compartmentalized?

Hi, no, just a single tank. I weighed it again today fully loaded with our new truck and it came in at
Steers- 5,400kgs (max-5,500kgs)
Drives- 19,520kgs (max-17,000kgs)
Trl- 14,340kgs (max-21,000kgs)

Yes Neil I pulled them both for Richardsons and Manteis……here is one Kenworth I drove early 1990 s I think she had a CAT in it photo taken at Cluny Alberta