The ELOG effect

We have been on them since 2008 and are quite used to them, it’s no different to when tachographs first came into operation in the UK many years ago, we al said we wouldn’t be able to do the job a nd we were not going to put up with them, but I have noticed that the cheap and badly paying companies such as one of our rivals in the sugar tanker business has had to increase the pay for it’s drivers because they are all leaving like rats deserting a sinking ship. The company in question would cut up our runs and one of the shipping managers at Domino’s sugar once asked me why that company can deliver to St Albans VT and get back the same day ? “Because the run illegally” I told him and have now been proved right, none of them can turn the run and get back, hence we are no picking up most of the work that company can’t do anymore, also half a dozen of their drivers have moved to our company because of the higher pay and a weekly minimum pay no matter what you do.
I speak to other drivers from various companies who tell me the same story, the companies either increase the pay or lose drivers. Personally I find ELOGS are great, I don’t have to argue with a dispatcher when I know I can’t do a certain run and I get better rest, being in my health position (cancer) I stop when I get too tired to carry on, I don’t wait until the duty time is up because I know that finding a place to park later is hard, I will stop one hour before the time is up sometimes to ensure a safe place with facilities, the company know that and never say a word, so long as the delivery is made, that’s all they worry about and if it’s going to be late, all I have to do is tell them and I don’t get a penalty. My dispatcher gives me a Ben & Jerry’s load and usually say’s “Get to where you want and let me know when the delivery will be there next day” … I have a great dispatcher. He knows what hours I have available, every dispatcher does when you are on ELOGS, they are watching your every move.

Our safety guy kept stressing that if you are involved in an accident while running illegally you are still responsible even if it wasn’t your fault. I’m not blaming E-logs as it’s true no matter what system of records keeping you use but i think E-logs would be a lawyers dream.
A mate over in the UK said he heard that their Digi-card system may come here so i feel sorry for my fellow American drivers who are still struggling with E-logs.

remy:
Our safety guy kept stressing that if you are involved in an accident while running illegally you are still responsible even if it wasn’t your fault. I’m not blaming E-logs as it’s true no matter what system of records keeping you use but i think E-logs would be a lawyers dream.
A mate over in the UK said he heard that their Digi-card system may come here so i feel sorry for my fellow American drivers who are still struggling with E-logs.

If the average Brit driver cant cope with digi tacos what hope has a yank got ? :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

^^^^^^^
Not much :confused: :confused:

But the new younger generation are brought up on all this electronic gadgetry, they won’t have to learn it as they are already clued in not like us retired old ■■■■■ :wink: :wink: Well, maybe that’s just me :slight_smile:

Hi Guys ,

I was in Canada driving couple years back now,family didn’t settle but I wanted to say , I was using Elogs they were great easier to use and cope on to all this digi card in Europe and drivers hours it much more confusion I think than Canada Definitely think hole of Europe should use same system .

remy:

Obviously if you are running illegally it’s going to be your fault, but providing you have made a note in the remarks section of the elog to explain the reason you are over your time you should be ok, unless you are running ridiculously bent. I have often been stuck on the GWB or if traffic elsewhere and run over my hours, I have parked at the first available place, meaning food, toilets and other stuff are available, then made the note, I have been covered.

Pat Hasler:

remy:

Obviously if you are running illegally it’s going to be your fault, but providing you have made a note in the remarks section of the elog to explain the reason you are over your time you should be ok, unless you are running ridiculously bent. I have often been stuck on the GWB or if traffic elsewhere and run over my hours, I have parked at the first available place, meaning food, toilets and other stuff are available, then made the note, I have been covered.

As has been said before Pat , that’s all good until you have an accident then the lawyers will be dining on you for years to come . Don’t be so naive :unamused: