DEF consumption

How much DEF does your truck use ? My new truck drinks the stuff like it’s going out of fashion. My previous truck (same make and model) used about 2 gallons for every 100 gallons of fuel, this new one uses 6 gallons for every 100 gallons of fuel, I raised the matter with the workshop yesterday and all I got for an answer was ‘Yeah, the new one’s do use a lot’ :open_mouth:

Our Cascadia does 4,000ish K’s a week and we fill the DEF up once a week.
When I was running Calgary to Montreal, I could get Cal-Mon-Winn then fill up.

Pat Hasler:
How much DEF does your truck use ? My new truck drinks the stuff like it’s going out of fashion. My previous truck (same make and model) used about 2 gallons for every 100 gallons of fuel, this new one uses 6 gallons for every 100 gallons of fuel, I raised the matter with the workshop yesterday and all I got for an answer was ‘Yeah, the new one’s do use a lot’ :open_mouth:

6 gallons per 100 is a lot. What did the company CEO say when you rang him?

Rob K:

Pat Hasler:

6 gallons per 100 is a lot. What did the company CEO say when you rang him?

You are dead right, it’s a huge amount, I was talking to the head mechanic in Albany this morning, he is sending the truck to a dealer when we get the chance.

My Volvo with a 13l uses 2.5 gal every 450/500 miles. On a 6 day work week have to fill up twice, one tank will not go the distance of running the full week. I have not worked it out against the fuel though, and the gauge seems to drop really quick after quarter of a tank. I always carry a back up box for emergency, but prefer not to get below quarter of a tank.
I’ll look at the fuel to def ratio this week.
I must admit I don’t pay to much attention as its not costing me a dime!

I stopped yesterday at the Pilot in Castleton on Hudson, put 70 gallons of diesel in and 7 gallons of DEF, then this morning at the TA on I-84 near Waterbury CT, I put 60 gallons of Diesel in and 6.5 gallons of DEF, this is no joke.

Well guys, I did write a few figures down this week. Haven’t had a chance to look at it today bit will soon. Choose to go out with my mates today and consume Stella and Guinness. Now the consumption of those are relative to the reaction of my legs. The head thing or sense doesn’t factor in any more. Getting in practice for my mate and wife’s visit from Merseyside. Can those Brits drink or not! Am I the only one who feels the pain when we have visitors? To visit the U.K. is even worse, I used to think I could drink but holy ■■■■ these people have hollow legs ffs.

It’s that ■■■■ water you have south of the border that masquerades as beer, you’ll drown before you get drunk on it.

As for DEF, my Pete uses 0.0gals to infinite gallons of diesel, which I like a lot, the Volvo is all over the place though, sometimes it guzzles it, sometimes it sips it, I gave up trying to measure it as it is so inconsistent, as long as the check engine light stays off, I’m happy.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Got your DEF right here :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Well, managed to put these figures together.
I ran 1710miles used 13gals of DEF=144miles/gal at a cost of $36.56. Diesel 210gals=8.14mpg at a cost of $715.64.
I do spend 4hours a day on city roads just to cover 150 miles in both am and pm rush hour traffic. Due to traffic delays, construction and delays in Atlanta loading times I seldom run the same route daily and the mileage and mix of interstate and city roads differs daily. In fact on these trips I spent less time on the Interstate than normal.
As Mark said no point doing a comparison and add in weather conditions and temperatures, what’s the point.
If you fuel up regularly and do your DEF in a pattern then any spike would come to light, just as Pats did.

Going back a few years I did do a cost analysis when DEF first came out on a 15l ISX, running it on a number of set routes to add the extra cost to the running costs.
I think I took the average figure and added 10%.

Mark, you are right about the domestic beer though, I can’t drink it. We can get Molson and LaBatts in bottles so a hangover is easy to achieve.
Paul

2017 Volvo, last trip out was 3200kms mix of city and highway, 37ltrs of DEF running 24 hrs a day for the aircon, do the maths. Labatts is ditchwater PJ, Guinness and Kokanee when we visit please :laughing:

Kokanee is a nice drink, but I find it takes the wrong route through the body and comes out the exit meant for solids.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dropping the truck at Detroit diesel on Monday morning, I have the week off and they can phone me when it’s sorted.

I wouldn’t worry about it Pat you’ll be getting a new one soon, seem’s like you get a new truck every few months :slight_smile: :wink: :wink:

remy:
I wouldn’t worry about it Pat you’ll be getting a new one soon, seem’s like you get a new truck every few months :slight_smile: :wink: :wink:

Not so Charles, it has been every 4 years so far, although I was told by the powers that be I may get a new automatic this month.

That’s a lot, it’s too late to work out the numbers accurately but I just did Winnipeg to Iowa and back then out to Toronto and back over 9 days which is rouhgly 450 gallons of fuel, I left with full def and at the end of the trip I put just over 15 gallons in. So you’re looking at 3.5 gallons of DEF per 100 gallons of fuel. That’s a '15 Cascadia Evo DD13, no idling when not driving.

It was a faulty EEG valve, now it has been replaced the consumption has dropped by 75%.