Driving in the States

I was reading a post on another bbs and this company: http://www.truckersforusa.com/drivers_wanted.html places Kiwi’s Aussies and drivers from the UK into US companies.

One of the companies that hire “foreign” drivers (Bless you, I love English speaking drivers :smiley:) is this company: http://www.ddsextoninc.com/index.htm

The are a reputable company and I have had the pleasure of talking with many of their drivers. The company is based in Carthage MO. (140 miles from my home)

I was amazed at reading the price they charge for a CDL. My cost, when I had a Missouri license, was around $60 US. I couldn’t imagine that the state of Missouri would charge the prices quoted on TFU’s website.

I hope I’m not stepping on any toes (ie. TFU is a website sponsor) but I believe a little research may provide a much better deal.

Heya Hairbear. That the same Hairbear from the US trucknet? The mail hauler?

Welcome to Trucknet UK anyway. Civilisation awaits you :wink:

The cost of a cdl can alter according to how much time is left on your car licence, i had held my car licence for 3 years before taling my CDL A then with the time left it cost $25, i am told when the licence needs renewing it should be around $150,

Never herd of the company but don’t send anyone money because they ask for drivers from the UK, lots of people fall for that ‘Send us money to see if you are eligeble for a green card’ phrase, then get a ‘Sorry, you are not’ reply but no refund.

Hi Hairbear,in regards to Truckers for USA I havnt dealt with them but I know of blokes that have and the biggest misconception with them,as well as companies that I went through doing the USA Grain Season, from a lot of people is that you recieve a green card,you are in USA on a TEMPORARY WORK VISA.That basically means that you entitled to work in United States for the company only on your Visa and for the time frame on the work visa as well.
It was stressed to me that whilst in USA you are to only be employed by the company sponsoring you and if you leave the company they are obliged to notify INS,US Customs,of your whereabouts and that the person is no longer working for them.
I was intercepted by Border patrol in Yuma Arizona and first thing they asked to see was my passport and work visa and checking it against the truck I was driving, on hearing my accent.I have heard stories of others skipping and going “walkabout” but its not worth the risk and consequences.