Why work for this pay?

I was handed a truck driving mag in the TA in Ruby Rd yesterday, here is an example of pay for an owner operator, the weekly profit shown at the bottom left are $200 a week less than my pay as a company driver. Why on earth would someone work for this crap pay and have to pay taxes on top of this, also health insurance for a self employed driver is usually double that of an employee.

I did not show the company name to save them having fun poked at them, but I would imagine the drivers have to work like dogs for this pittance, I work Monday to Friday for better pay and conditions.

As long as there will be this attitude of not naming, not shaming, not coming out to point in their face that they are rats there will be managers who will think this is OK.

You - by hiding company name are also part of the problem.

These posts about terrible pay and conditions have been there for decades - as long as no one will name and shame nothing will change.

The only way of changing is by shaming company so drastically that they simply have no applicants and recruiter is ashamed of walking down his street…

Owners, managers, dispatches will get the idea ONLY once they will have dog ■■■■ thrown in their face and called names while driving down to get their weekly shopping.

Maybe my Eyes aren’t so good anymore but that looks like a Company name at the bottom

Ok, I will name and shame … It’s RTI, but I just noticed it say’s ‘Riverside transport corp’ at the bottom :wink:

Before I came to my company I spent 6 months trying out the self employed game, the very first day I started I was told by the man who helped me get started that companies who take on lease or owner drivers do their best to keep drivers deep in debt and owing the company and it’s true, the first month I made a small fortune, it was December and I was hauling Christmas mail, after that it went downhill, disgustingly low rates, lies and utter BS, being away from home for weeks on end with a couple of days home after 4 to 6 weeks and I was broke. I was offered a job with my present company ‘Foodliner’ and it saved my life, my marriage and my bank balance. When I told the money grabbing company I was leaving they tried every type of trick to stop me leaving, from offering me a dedicated run that would get me home every weekend (which I didn’t believe) to then saying how they had paid me more than I had earned when I was doing the mail runs, it didn’t work and I got my stuff out of the cab and quit, they still owe me for my very last run from Homestead FL to Springfield MS, the from there as far as Albany NY which was where I got out of the cab leaving someone who I had considered a good friend behind the wheel. I was continuously pestered on the phone by them sometimes threatening me with various things, then being very nice and telling me what a good driver I was and please come back, then there was the “Foodliner are just lying to get you there, they will not keep their promises”
" You mean like you didn’t then"
As it happens Foodliner have not only kept every promise they made 11 years ago, they have gone above and beyond their promises. I am so glad I stopped listening to the others.

I retired from Wal Mart a couple of months ago after almost 21 years. I was paid 48 cpm and 54 cpm on the weekend but any driver starting now will only get 38 cpm and 44 cpm on weekends. They’re advertising on the radio and the internet and also holding job fairs but have not got drivers stampeding to their front door like they thought they would do. What was a good job has turned to crap.

I was self employed many years ago, then a small fleet owner, but fortunately never went down that particular route. I was offered, a brand new Daf dangled before my eyes in one instance, but I had wised up beforehand.

For all those who didn’t, or haven’t, wised up, I reckon this timeless classic says it all.
The critcal moment comes about 48 seconds in, and then again right at the end.

youtu.be/Joo90ZWrUkU

I seriously cant see why the companies would even think about advertising such poor pay rates ? At least I know the company I work for pays O/O drivers seriously good pay and actually it’s better to lease a brand new truck, all the warrantees and other covers make it worthwhile, but then it is a remarkable company.

remy:
I retired from Wal Mart a couple of months ago after almost 21 years. I was paid 48 cpm and 54 cpm on the weekend but any driver starting now will only get 38 cpm and 44 cpm on weekends. They’re advertising on the radio and the internet and also holding job fairs but have not got drivers stampeding to their front door like they thought they would do. What was a good job has turned to crap.

They will end up giving more work to Swifts, saving even more money.
I refuse to shop at Wal-mart, Sam would turn in his grave if he new what a sell out those sons are. Pity there isn’t a law to put those tossers in jail. They have sent the working girl and guy backwards, no full time hours, no benefits, no future. In Florida they can’t get Americans or any English speaking half educated person to work for them. They cost more American jobs than they will ever create.
Remy, no offence but 48 cpm is average. Most LTL companies are paying 58 to 65 cpm with good working conditions and benefits.
Going back many years now, but Sam always put his drivers first.
Standards are dropping all the time!

Rant over

Paul John:

remy:

They will end up giving more work to Swifts, saving even more money.
I refuse to shop at Wal-mart, Sam would turn in his grave if he new what a sell out those sons are. Pity there isn’t a law to put those tossers in jail. They have sent the working girl and guy backwards, no full time hours, no benefits, no future. In Florida they can’t get Americans or any English speaking half educated person to work for them. They cost more American jobs than they will ever create.
Remy, no offence but 48 cpm is average. Most LTL companies are paying 58 to 65 cpm with good working conditions and benefits.
Going back many years now, but Sam always put his drivers first.
Standards are dropping all the time!

Rant over

Paul you called this a rant but it’s true ! Sam did put the drivers first but now they put $$$$$ first and get it wherever they can and most of us think the private fleet will be gone soon so they can turn it over to Swift or another mega carrier.
I’m stopping now before i go on a rant :wink: