New Zealand trucking

It is still possible to get into New Zealand with a work visa, even though truck driver is no longer on the skills shortage list.

I know, because that’s where I am now, in my second week as a heavy machinery operator for a North Island depot of a freight haulage company.

The key is finding an Accredited Employer who is willing to take you on and effectively sponsor your "talented worker’ visa.

Knocking on doors and talking to depot managers seems to be a good way of finding work if you’re presentable and have suitable experience, but that means a flight out to NZ on a reconnaissance mission. Then there’s the visa medical, driver licence conversion test and medical, police certificate and other costs, and funding accommodation and transport upon arrival.

It isn’t cheap, and you’re unlikely to get any financial assistance from your employer, but if you’re determined enough you can make it happen.

There’s plenty of demand for Class 1 (NZ Class 5) drivers, as long as you can get a work visa.

It’s a viable option for a single person up for an adventure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well done mate, I thought it must be possible as I meet foreigner truckies all the time.
I am in Napier, where abouts have you landed?

AndieHyde:
Well done mate, I thought it must be possible as I meet foreigner truckies all the time.
I am in Napier, where abouts have you landed?

I’m in Tauranga, a little way north from Napier, but with just as lovely weather in the Bay of Plenty as you get in Hawkes Bay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I considered Tauranga before I came here but ended up in HB.
Similar sort of towns, tourists and loads of agriculture. Always work in a town with a deep water port, the logging guys around here are going hard out at the moment.

Must be weird for you with all the Christmas decorations and being 25degees.
I have been here going on for 15 years and I still cant get used to it.

I’m back in New Zealand too at the moment… Accredited employers seem to be the way to go… Worth doing the rounds as some companies are accredited but don’t appear on the listings on the government website… Been back for 2 weeks and already had a lot of interest…

Absolutley.

I worked for an accredited employer when I first arrived and helped a great deal when applying for permenent residency. I think it is like a commitment test from NZIS as when I tried to apply for a visa from the UK before setting off, it was denied.
When I did what I think ORC has done, was to just come here and find a job with a decent employer, getting a visa was really easy.

Best of luck fellas, its a bit hard at first settling in but it gets much better after you have had time to adjust.

Duck:
I’m back in New Zealand too at the moment… Accredited employers seem to be the way to go… Worth doing the rounds as some companies are accredited but don’t appear on the listings on the government website… Been back for 2 weeks and already had a lot of interest…

HAHA , read a post a few up from yours and immediately thought of an inbound Duck , ■■■■■■■ beat me too it . Best of luck fella :laughing:

Yup, loved Canada and Iceland but you can’t beat a “winter” in “Un-Zud.”
Chilling out on the Coromandel peninsula to escape Auckland for the weekend.
2nd. meeting on Monday with NZ’s largest heavy haulage company…
Fingers crossed…

IMG_3248.JPG

New Zealand. Australia’s Canada.

Does anyone know exactly what the process is for converting a UK class 1 license to a New Zealand class 5 (and a ball park figure of total cost)? As far as I know so far it requires a medical certificate and completion of a theory test (plus all the usual paperwork and fees)?

I am currently in Dunedin and have just discovered I can’t get class 5 work until I have converted my license. Bit frustrated I didn’t find this out before I arrived here :frowning:

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Just got my NZ class 5… Paid $75 for the medical which includes eyesight test and then roughly $95 dollars to convert at the specified AA conversion centre which consists of filling out a form and then a 35 question multiple choice theory test.
They give you a temporary certificate until the proper licence can be issued which normally takes 5-10 working days.

Unfortunately the visa processing is an issue due to the extended Christmas and New Year holidays and although I have been offered the heavy haulage job in Auckland it could take up to 2 months for me to get my work permit approved.

Therefore I’m taking a plane home on Friday morning as I don’t want to hang around for that long with nothing to do.
The company in question have been very understanding and have said I can apply from the UK and come back to work in NZ at a later date!

nedincredible:
I am currently in Dunedin and have just discovered I can’t get class 5 work until I have converted my license.

Strictly speaking, you can drive on a UK licence in New Zealand for a year after arrival, in the equivalent classes of the entitlements you hold in the UK. Therefore if you have Class 1 (C+E) you can drive Class 5 in NZ.

However, any safety-conscious employer will probably expect you to convert your licence before starting work. The logic seems to be that, were you to have an accident, questions would be asked about what steps your employer took to ensure you were safe on NZ roads if you had not converted your licence. That seems fair enough. It came as an unpleasant surprise to me, since I was expecting to be able to leave the driving test until after I had settled in.

The theory test is similar to the UK, but the questions are more technical and less idiot-friendly. There are websites and apps available to take you through nearly all the official questions, so once you have memorised all the answers you should be able to get the 33 out of 35 required for the truck licence.

Booking a test is fairly simple. Just wander into an AA shop that does testing, pay your money and wait for the next available slot at the computer. If things are quiet, it can be within an hour. If you fail, you can pay again and re-sit the test straight away without any waiting time restrictions.

If you have held your UK C+E licence for long enough (3 years I think) you don’t have to do the practical test, only the theory.

Being nosy ORC you say your driving heavy machinery i take it that’s mobile plant?
i’m just curious really as i’m sure when i did my 360 excavator training they said the qualifications (CPCS) were recognized over in NZ? Just wondering if this is actually the case?

ORC:
Strictly speaking, you can drive on a UK licence in New Zealand for a year after arrival, in the equivalent classes of the entitlements you hold in the UK. Therefore if you have Class 1 (C+E) you can drive Class 5 in NZ.

Yer that’s what I thought but every employer I’ve spoken to won’t touch me until I’ve converted my license.

ORC:
If you have held your UK C+E licence for long enough (3 years I think) you don’t have to do the practical test, only the theory.

It’s two years thankfully :smiley: otherwise I would have to sit a practical as well.

RB84:
Being nosy ORC you say your driving heavy machinery i take it that’s mobile plant?

It is mostly trucks, but I also have to use forklifts, Mobicons and hoists for containers so they roll it up as heavy machinery operations.

ORC:

RB84:

It is mostly trucks, but I also have to use forklifts, Mobicons and hoists for containers so they roll it up as heavy machinery operations.

Aah right thanks a bit different from what I was thinking of.

How are you guys getting work in NZ with no experience over there?

Is there some kind of temporary visitors visa that allows you to work for 12 months? Curious because I know that the Canterbury Skills Shortage List shows truck driving as a required shortage, and it states that you need 3 years experience Class 1 (NZ 5), PLUS 12 months NZ work experience?

Something I am interested in.

Hey Beaver.

NZ immigration is a good starting point, but things here a not as black and white as they are in the UK so certain “rules” get overlooked. Truck driving is not on the OSS list anymore but it is a skill and there is a shortage. I have met a Croation and an Indian driving heavy trucks here in the last few months so there must be a gap in the fence, so to speak.

From my own experience, admitedly 15 years ago, most employers dont touch applications from abroad as it’s a bit of a lottery. From your point of view, I can see the merits of wanting some security before setting off to the other side of the world but employers need commitment, the labor laws here are quite strict and once you have sponsered an idiot, you are pretty much stuck with them so meeting a prospective employee in the flesh mitigates some of that risk and shows you are “eager” to have a go. The hard yards are getting here and putting yourself in that position, the rest is just a form filling (and fee paying) exercise.
Dont be put off by job adverts say must have experience or must have work permits, these are just put out there to try and deter the lazy wannabees and dreamers. Nothing can beat a bit of cold calling door knocking when looking for work, it’s what I did and looks like what some of the others here have done also, and getting your foot in that door.

When I first arrived here I was told by the AA that I could not exchange my UK class one to a NZ without starting from scratch, so I never bothered. However from the exchanges between posters above it would seem that changes have happend and I will be looking into this in the new year.

I know you have faith in yourself, you could make it here.

Andie.

AndieHyde:
Hey Beaver.

NZ immigration is a good starting point, but things here a not as black and white as they are in the UK so certain “rules” get overlooked. Truck driving is not on the OSS list anymore but it is a skill and there is a shortage. I have met a Croation and an Indian driving heavy trucks here in the last few months so there must be a gap in the fence, so to speak.

From my own experience, admitedly 15 years ago, most employers dont touch applications from abroad as it’s a bit of a lottery. From your point of view, I can see the merits of wanting some security before setting off to the other side of the world but employers need commitment, the labor laws here are quite strict and once you have sponsered an idiot, you are pretty much stuck with them so meeting a prospective employee in the flesh mitigates some of that risk and shows you are “eager” to have a go. The hard yards are getting here and putting yourself in that position, the rest is just a form filling (and fee paying) exercise.
Dont be put off by job adverts say must have experience or must have work permits, these are just put out there to try and deter the lazy wannabees and dreamers. Nothing can beat a bit of cold calling door knocking when looking for work, it’s what I did and looks like what some of the others here have done also, and getting your foot in that door.

When I first arrived here I was told by the AA that I could not exchange my UK class one to a NZ without starting from scratch, so I never bothered. However from the exchanges between posters above it would seem that changes have happend and I will be looking into this in the new year.

I know you have faith in yourself, you could make it here.

Andie.

Cheers Brother :wink:

Need to find out if my girlfriend could come over with me, or if it’s a case of me coming over for 12 months or so and her following on.
Still not sure on which visa I would potentially come out on though?

Everybody has a different position.

Mine, and was advised by NZ house in London, was to simply get on a plane with a tourist visa and find a job. Once here with a job offer, applying for a 2 year work permit was dead easy.

Just out of interest, what does the girlfriend do?
Teacher or a nurse and they will roll out the red carpet. Truck drivers not so much but if you have additional skills like forklift or swing lift cranes, it will help you massively.

Thought about a holiday? Rent a camper and have a drive around, talk to people. See what you can find. I sold everything I owned and came out here to start again without ever being here before, Austrailia is a short hop and was my second choice if NZ didnt work out for me, but the overwhelming factor was get out of UK.
What I did do before, was to read up. Find out as much as I could about the place and decide what and where would suit me best.

That was Hawkes bay. And 15 years later, I am still here.
The weather is awesome. And on the note, am going to play on my jetski while it’s still holidays.