ROI

Hi All,
Looking at class C (at the moment) jobs in ROI, they seem A far fewer than the UK (no surprise I guess because there are fewer jobs maybe) B, there seem to be more stringent requirements to get a job in the first place and C, The advertisers seem to be shy to publish the rates online! Is it more a case of who you know over there? I want to leave the UK after I have my class 1 (probably leaving around May/June) and a little experience at least, but how does a man get a job with little experience? Am I better to sit tight for another year or so? I REALLY do not want to stay here.
ATB,
Tommy.

Companies that do not advertise rates usually know that the wages will not attract employee’s.

Tommy, whats up with Cardiff?

Paul John:
Tommy, whats up with Cardiff?

The Mrs is Irish mate, we have no family here. She wants to be near her family who are mostly in Ireland. I hunt also and the laws are better for hunters in Ireland than here in Wales.
Tommy.

Hi Tommy. Yes women tend to want to stay close to their mothers.
I emigrated to the States 26 years ago and all was well until my daughter was born. Over the years not having family around and missing out on lots of occasions took its toll. Visiting just compounds the issue!
My ex and daughter are off to Cardiff later this week where she will celebrate her 18th birthday and catch up with both sides of the family.

Hope all goes well whatever you choose to do.

Paul John:
Hi Tommy. Yes women tend to want to stay close to their mothers.
I emigrated to the States 26 years ago and all was well until my daughter was born. Over the years not having family around and missing out on lots of occasions took its toll. Visiting just compounds the issue!
My ex and daughter are off to Cardiff later this week where she will celebrate her 18th birthday and catch up with both sides of the family.

Hope all goes well whatever you choose to do.

Hi,
Cardiff eh? It is okay tbh, we would stay here but my wife finds it difficult whilst I am out long periods, we have 3 young girls and she needs help really, it would also be beneficial for the kids to have their family around them.
Tommy.

Hi Tommy.
Totally agree with you. You are already used to being away from home, so it probably shouldn’t be to hard for you to adjust.
I screwed up by putting myself first instead of my family.

Life and decisions can be a burden, but it seems that you will do what’s right for your family!

Paul

Paul John:
Hi Tommy.
Totally agree with you. You are already used to being away from home, so it probably shouldn’t be to hard for you to adjust.
I screwed up by putting myself first instead of my family.

Life and decisions can be a burden, but it seems that you will do what’s right for your family!

Paul

I have to mate, It isn’t me that is stuck at home all day doing domestic stuff, I do not blame here one bit. She just needs to hang in there for a while.

the only negative aspect of life over here if you have been brought up in the uk will be the fact you will kick yourself for knowing you could have been here 20 years ago .
nobody gives much of a toss about much once your out of dublin and the likes.
no average cameras
no speed cameras to be bothered about
once in a blue moon you may see a camera van.( they set fire to one in donegal with the guy inside it so they tend to be few and far between)
people are friendly and helpfull.
next to nill traffic gridlock eseciay compared to the uk,though theres more tractors and sheep.
get yourself into eire and have a life.
i got pulled a while ago by a cop…( basically it was quiet and he was bored though i was hammering it on a bit )
i hope youve a card in that tacho driver…
yep,no probs…will i pull it and you can see it?
nope,your dead on,just so long as you have one in.
keep er lit.
bye bye.
end of story…and no innuendoes please as thats the exact conversation.

dieseldog999:
…once in a blue moon you may see a camera van.( they set fire to one in donegal with the guy inside it so they tend to be few and far between)…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now that made me laugh out loud!! :laughing: :laughing:

bullitt:

dieseldog999:
…once in a blue moon you may see a camera van.( they set fire to one in donegal with the guy inside it so they tend to be few and far between)…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now that made me laugh out loud!! :laughing: :laughing:

it was actualy the 3rd van to be torched with the fanny still inside ( though not for long). its all good craic :smiley:

independent.ie/irish-news/g … 22085.html

Back in the 90s I drove a wagon and drag (traditional, not caravan) across NI doing several drops on the way, then cleared at the border before doing another in Letterkenny.

Had to go south from there to Galway, but met a low bridge on the way. There was a high load route posted towards Dublin so followed it. After a few miles and no other signs I asked directions and was diverted down a narrow lane to regain the Galway road. I met an 8 wheeler, fortunately on a bend where the hedges opened out so we could just squeeze by.

We stopped, cab to cab, engines off for a bit of the craic and after 10 minutes a gardai car pulled up behind him. We better move on I told him. ‘No need, sure he’ll wait till we’re finished’ he replied, and sure enough the cops turned off their engine too and waited patiently for 5 minutes before we moved on.

I had a similar experience in Dublin with a traffic warden. I love the Irish and their officialdom. Are they still the same? Somebody told me they had changed. I do hope not.

theres a complete turnaround with officialdom regarding trucks and cops in eire nowadays as its recently been dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century.
as of 2010 treble yellow lines on the road make it compulsory that they cannot be ignored anymore,nowadays you have to abandon your truck with at least 3 wheels up on the pavement.
in rural areas,then its still carry on as normal. :slight_smile:

Your mention of the yellow lines makes me laugh. The traffic warden mentioned above allowed me to park my drag on doubles on Parnell St. while I drove round the corner to unload, despite the disruption to the one way traffic around it. When I pointed this out he replied simply ‘sure, you have your job to do’. :smiley:

He then stood guard over it while I struggled first round a tight corner in a street market and then reversed 200 yards the wrong way down a one way street to my drop.

i rest my case…welcome to the land that time forgot… :slight_smile: