Driving in Canada

Hi all, I’m new so go easy on me

Has anyone recently made the move to Canada? I would be keen to hear opinions from Brits who have actually made the move recently.

I’m under no illusion that pay rates are not the best in the world and it’s long hours and many miles. However a better lifestyle and a beautiful country has many draw. Plus I have no intention of living in the UK anymore.

I’ve been researching online and believe it would be a good move for myself. Do you drivers get much home time? I have no issue with running 2-3 weeks at a time, but would like a few days downtime.

From what I’ve seen online it’s as simply as finding an employer that I would be a good fit with and getting a Canadian licence.

Hi,

It’s not a case of simply finding an employer etc. The government decide based on numerous factors to turn the tap on or off and the PNP program is not currently active.

I have lived in Canada since 2011 and I now have my citizenship.

Trucking here is very different. I’ve run coast to coast, dry vans and reefers and now I pull super b’s in Canada. Personally I think Canada gets boring after a while and it lags way behind the U.S in so many ways. If you don’t have any criminal past then run CA/US.

In the UK it’s hourly but most jobs here are mileage base driven. You’ll be lucky to receive 75% of pay for the time you put in.

I sum North American trucking up in 3 words ‘Feast or famine’.

I have so many wonderful memories, I have no regrets. It’s not been without its challenges. They want their pound of flesh. People criticize the industry and rightly so but much of that in my opinion is down to their labour law standards being below par.

Be prepared to take a step back in time in so many ways. Some of that of course can be beneficial.

My opinion of course. Best of luck.

Rhyde87:
Hi all, I’m new so go easy on me

Has anyone recently made the move to Canada? I would be keen to hear opinions from Brits who have actually made the move recently.

I’m under no illusion that pay rates are not the best in the world and it’s long hours and many miles. However a better lifestyle and a beautiful country has many draw. Plus I have no intention of living in the UK anymore.

I’ve been researching online and believe it would be a good move for myself. Do you drivers get much home time? I have no issue with running 2-3 weeks at a time, but would like a few days downtime.

From what I’ve seen online it’s as simply as finding an employer that I would be a good fit with and getting a Canadian licence.

There’s plenty of posts on here about Canada, have a read through.
Jobs are not plentiful like they were 10yrs ago but MB have a PNP scheme going where you don’t need an LMIA and getting PR within 12mths.
There’s a couple of threads below mentioning company’s that are coming over to the Canadian High Comission in London next week interviewing, get hold of one or two of them, see if you can get an interview.
Ask plenty of questions, every company has a different way of working and time-off etc.
Loads of us have been here yrs and very happy, there’s good and bad company’s here, as there is everywhere.
You just have to go with the flow till PR then that opens up a whole lot of options for you.
If you’re by yourself, what have you got to lose trying it.