Vacation time in Canada

Hey

I’ve been offered work in Canada but in the terms and conditions it says I can’t take any vacation time for 12 mths and then only 2 wks in the next 12, is this normal?

most of them yes but usually if you give notice they let you take it early your vacation pay usually 4per cent on what you earn

North America doesn’t get holidays like Europe, 2 weeks is normal maybe 3 for old hands.
As an employee the company has to pay holiday pay of 4% of earnings sometimes added to your bi weekly paycheck sometimes held in a separate account till you want it. You get bank holiday pay too, % of earnings based, and paid in your wages after the holiday.
In reality you’ll be being paid on mileage and no work means no pay so most companies wont mind when you want a holiday as long as you graft well enough when you are working.
But they do work longer hours with far less holidays over here.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I have tried to deter guys from coming over for reasons like this, most companies will give you week after you have worked a year as you say, some raise the allowance to 2 weeks after 2 years and it stays at that level until you have served 10 years. I have just reached that 10 year period and am now allowed 3 weeks, I also get 2 days personal time if needed.
A lot of companies do not give drivers any paid vacation. This isn’t the UK, we are not granted such frivolous rights LOL

spot on geezer lol

I was on 4% for the first 5yrs, 6% for the next 5yrs and now on 8% and that is as far as it goes.
When my present boss took over the contract that we worked on with another company, he agreed to honour our time served already, luckily for us, not many bosses like that over here.
He holds our vacation pay back until we want it, I’ve got 16mths built up and it’s a tidy sum now.
Also, we can take as much time off as we want unpaid.
I once read that 4%=1week, 6%=2weeks & 8%=3weeks, or the equivalent of.

My holiday pay is 4% of gross and payed every two weeks. It bumps up the net pay so it looks like you are better paid than you are. I got nothing for the weeks vacation I just had. Just a little trick to cover up the poor rate of pay. But I take as much time off as I want because the company is always short of drivers; mainly because they pay so bad and will give anyone a job.

ChrisArbon:
My holiday pay is 4% of gross and payed every two weeks. It bumps up the net pay so it looks like you are better paid than you are. I got nothing for the weeks vacation I just had. Just a little trick to cover up the poor rate of pay. But I take as much time off as I want because the company is always short of drivers; mainly because they pay so bad and will give anyone a job.

Why do you still work there if they’re so bad ?

flat to the mat:

ChrisArbon:

I get good miles. I earn more than I did at my last job, where the cents per mile were 7 cents more. I have a reliable truck. The work is easy. The trips are nice and long. The office leaves me alone to get on with the job. I’ve only got another year before I retire and this lot will be good for some part-time work if I need it. So they do have their good points.

wow what a lucky boy well done kiddo :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

ChrisArbon:

flat to the mat:

ChrisArbon:

I get good miles. I earn more than I did at my last job, where the cents per mile were 7 cents more. I have a reliable truck. The work is easy. The trips are nice and long. The office leaves me alone to get on with the job. I’ve only got another year before I retire and this lot will be good for some part-time work if I need it. So they do have their good points.

Fair comment Chris , whatever works and suits . Good for you fella

It is bad over here if you’re expecting holidays,

personal experience is they don’t like you taking time off work and you’re a slave to the job, those of you who don’t like what I’m saying and over here don’t act like i’m wrong.

I work for one of the largest companies in North America not going to name them…
10 days is standard i didn’t get a day holiday for 17 months after starting
in order to get 4 weeks paid holiday with said company be prepared to graft for 25 years continuous service with them…

why didn’t I leave ? well hourly pay good benefits unionized and set days on and off… hourly paid jobs in Canada are rare and high paying ones in trucking are even harder to come by.

When you do get that elusive time off don’t expect any last minute.com deals anywhere lol, options are Mexico and if you don’t want a horrid time after your hard work and efforts at work you’ll be paying about $2k pp per week its expensive.

I came to Canada for a “Better life” In many ways I got that, bought a new house had nice cars experienced the open road etc. After too long you realize you get stung out of valuable time off work what we all take for granted in UK I know I did.
If I could do it all again I would have gone home after two years and called it a great experience.

Im not being negative just truthful of my own experience, we found these facts out for our self living and working here.

A lot of people stay sure but deep down they all have that gut feeling they’re missing out on our great country we left.

No , “they” don’t . Absolutely no long term regrets whatsoever , the thought of returning to broken Britain with crime , anti social behaviour , benefit society , speed cameras , no parking signs , Brexit , never mind the cold damp miserable attitube/weather(oh and cricket, yawn) makes me shudder .Then there’s the over crowded road network , gas prices , property prices , the PC dumbing down brigade , the list is endless .
If the above is what floats your boat then go for it , but leave me out . Back on topic , 4 weeks paid plus stats .

flat to the mat:
No , “they” don’t . Absolutely no long term regrets whatsoever , the thought of returning to broken Britain with crime , anti social behaviour , benefit society , speed cameras , no parking signs , Brexit , never mind the cold damp miserable attitube/weather(oh and cricket, yawn) makes me shudder .Then there’s the over crowded road network , gas prices , property prices , the PC dumbing down brigade , the list is endless .
If the above is what floats your boat then go for it , but leave me out . Back on topic , 4 weeks paid plus stats .

Again a “pro Canada crusader” crops up, you didn’t read it, I wrote “my experience” so what I’ve wrote isn’t true is that what you’re saying. I find English people in Canada are the worst kind, can’t say a negative thing about Canada at all… don’t sugar coat it you’ve had bad jobs I’m sure, we all put up with it and maybe find something better sooner or later. Im dual citizen but I will never be prouder to be an English born Citizen, I’m sick and tired of hearing about “Brexit” the “gas prices” you mean petrol mate :stuck_out_tongue: and the negative out look on England its where you are from where you grew up, don’t turn you’re back on our great country in such a way. Brexit is a good thing the people voted for it, and it will make the country a better place, its only the same as USA and Canada being separate and you choose to live over here. Canada has a huge Drug problem with fentanyl and Meth or do you live under a rock, indigenous people are treated as lesser people and it their land… theres crime here especially in the big cities. Don’t make out like its perfect over here Flat to the mat. People get hooked on drugs because theres nothing else to do if you’re on a low income.

rowson85:

flat to the mat:

Again a “pro Canada crusader” crops up, you didn’t read it, I wrote “my experience” so what I’ve wrote isn’t true is that what you’re saying. I find English people in Canada are the worst kind, can’t say a negative thing about Canada at all… don’t sugar coat it you’ve had bad jobs I’m sure, we all put up with it and maybe find something better sooner or later. Im dual citizen but I will never be prouder to be an English born Citizen, I’m sick and tired of hearing about “Brexit” the “gas prices” you mean petrol mate :stuck_out_tongue: and the negative out look on England its where you are from where you grew up, don’t turn you’re back on our great country in such a way. Brexit is a good thing the people voted for it, and it will make the country a better place, its only the same as USA and Canada being separate and you choose to live over here. Canada has a huge Drug problem with fentanyl and Meth or do you live under a rock, indigenous people are treated as lesser people and it their land… theres crime here especially in the big cities. Don’t make out like its perfect over here Flat to the mat. People get hooked on drugs because theres nothing else to do if you’re on a low income.

Read your last sentence 2 posts up :unamused: Yeah I pro Canada though not so much the crusader , if I didn’t like it here I wouldn’t choose to be living here it’s as simple as that .
Why do you stay if England is where you want to be ?