Lmia

Hey peeps not been on for awhile just wondering if anybody knew of any companies with LMIA, looking to hire British drivers doesn’t matter which province just want to get myself over there :smiley:

Where are you at moment?

@Marty

If you are looking for worst em0loyment conditions, Canada is for you, otherwise I would be staying in blighty.
Grass isn’t greener on the other side, if it was they wouldn’t be looking for drivers all over the world.
You would be better off working for Stobarts in here.

I’m in the UK at the moment, as for stobart how can you say they’re a good company lol I currently work for a good company now on a self employed basis but driving in Canada and states has been a dream for a long time, I know some companies in Canada aren’t the best but the UK isn’t the best place to be doing comparisons by far.

I’ve been looking into this for the last three years, and I’m still keen on making the move, but after spending countless number of hours researching the subject, the conclusion is clear, trucking in Canada is a much poorer career path than doing it in the UK.
Unless you enjoy being away for weeks, ( when you get PR after 3 - 4 years of slave like labour, you might be able to get away with being away only for a week) at a time and enjoy supplying your employer with a lot of unpaid time at work it is not a better option.
There are a few jobs that pay good, but they are few in between, there are some local ones, but pay poorly.
If you are not happy with conditions that Stobart offer, you won’t enjoy doing it in Canada.
But, hey, I am a type of person that can be easily convinced, as long as you talk sens, so tell me, what makes you think it is a better job over there than what you have in the UK?

MartyG:
I’m in the UK at the moment, as for stobart how can you say they’re a good company lol I currently work for a good company now on a self employed basis but driving in Canada and states has been a dream for a long time, I know some companies in Canada aren’t the best but the UK isn’t the best place to be doing comparisons by far.

First question, are you single? If so, yes I would give it a go,you will spend a lot of time in the truck and see some fantastic places, scenery. Just make sure you take a good lot of money with you, you will need it.
If your not single, I would think twice, was out in Alberta for 2.5 yrs, it’s tough to start up, house,car,insurance, health care blah blah. Also remember the partner will be home all the time whilst your away and not knowing anyone.
Lots more, but your choice at the end of the day

jono5:

MartyG:

First question, are you single? If so, yes I would give it a go,you will spend a lot of time in the truck and see some fantastic places, scenery. Just make sure you take a good lot of money with you, you will need it.
If your not single, I would think twice, was out in Alberta for 2.5 yrs, it’s tough to start up, house,car,insurance, health care blah blah. Also remember the partner will be home all the time whilst your away and not knowing anyone.
Lots more, but your choice at the end of the day

For single person, Canada is a great experience regardless of the pay and the conditions. I’ve been here 11 years and the pay is the same as eight years ago; the 70 hours a week is also still the same. But I’ve always had long hours and poor pay where ever I have worked in the transport industry. I still enjoy driving and don’t think I would have changed a thing after all the unique experiences that I’ve had. If you have a dream, then follow it and do all you can to make it come true. Life is not all about pay and conditions at work. If you don’t do it while you have chance then you may regret it for the rest of your life.

You could try Agri-Tel at Beausejour, Manitoba.

I’ve contacted agri-tel just waiting on a reply, I too have researched it on many occasions I know it’s long hrs and away plenty, I’m married but would be going over alone to start with, my wife has family there so she’d be with them while I’m away, I just want the experience another feather in my cap so to speak I adapt to whatever I’m doing if it’s ■■■■ I make the most until I can move on, it’s a better life for my kids over there and once I have PR if driving is no longer the way forward I can look at something else, I’m aware it doesn’t pay great but cost of living is better and standard of living is way better

hkloss1:
I’ve been looking into this for the last three years, and I’m still keen on making the move, but after spending countless number of hours researching the subject, the conclusion is clear, trucking in Canada is a much poorer career path than doing it in the UK.
Unless you enjoy being away for weeks, ( when you get PR after 3 - 4 years of slave like labour, you might be able to get away with being away only for a week) at a time and enjoy supplying your employer with a lot of unpaid time at work it is not a better option.
There are a few jobs that pay good, but they are few in between, there are some local ones, but pay poorly.
If you are not happy with conditions that Stobart offer, you won’t enjoy doing it in Canada.
But, hey, I am a type of person that can be easily convinced, as long as you talk sens, so tell me, what makes you think it is a better job over there than what you have in the UK?

Have you ever been here , or just basing your comments from the internet ? From what I see those that are willing to make an effort are doing fairly well tnx .

flat to the mat:

hkloss1:

Have you ever been here , or just basing your comments from the internet ? From what I see those that are willing to make an effort are doing fairly well tnx .

Hi FTTM
As you know I have never been there.
I’ve done a lotmof research on the internet, yt vl0gers, and there can only be one conclussion.
Rates of pay for the effort you put into this work in Canada are worst than what you get paid for what you need to do in UK.
When you divide your monthly pay per 1 hour of your time spent at work, the pay is poor.
You might be having a good job, but your job is an exception and not the common type of job.

What do you think of H&R? Is this a good company to work for?

hkloss1:
@Marty

If you are looking for worst em0loyment conditions, Canada is for you, otherwise I would be staying in blighty.
Grass isn’t greener on the other side, if it was they wouldn’t be looking for drivers all over the world.
You would be better off working for Stobarts in here.

Well said that man, same goes for the USA, crap pay and conditions compared to the easy life the drivers have in the UK. The only way to make it in Canada unless you can become an O/O after you get established. I do know a few guys who are company drivers and do ok but I hear from others I actually meet in truck stops who are treated like garbage and paid disgustingly poor pay and are away from home for months on end.

Well it seems there are alot of sad stories in Canada, however the UK has many of its own, it isn’t all Rosie here either, iv spoke to drivers face to face who have come back mainly because of their wives but one thing they do say is that they regret coming back and I know of a couple who are looking to go back, as has been said in many other forums there are good and bad companies but drivers are renouned the world over for complaining about the company they work for, I personally am not looking to make my million I’m looking for a better life for my kids and the way I see it, if I want to make a life for myself and my family in a new country then I’ll have to graft but I’ve always done that I’ve worked for seriously ■■■■■ companies and some good so there’s no difference other than it’s a dream and another life experience at least when I’m retired I can say “I did” instead of “I wish I had” no one truly knows what it’s like until you experience it yourself, so can anybody help me with names of companies that may have LMIA’s available?

hkloss1:

MartyG, most of this is crap, I’ve been here over 10yrs and earned more here, every year,
than I ever did in the UK.
Take note of what Chris Arbon has said above, pretty much spot on, not some wannabee that tries telling us, the one’s that are here doing the job and happy, how it really is.
Give it a rest HK, you’re in no position to advise anything Candian having never even been here.
I did work for H&R and stayed there for 2yrs after my PR and had they not lost the contract I was on, would possibly still be there now.
And what a load of ■■■■■■■■ you’re talking about local work, I’m on local, home every night and on the highest wages I’ve ever earned.
Stop spouting crap.

Said it before and no doubt I will say it again on here , no pain no gain . Too many want to come here and live the lifestyle without putting in the effort , going out and buying all the toys then realizing that their bi-monthly pay cheques don’t cover the bills , whilst doing SFA towards gaining PR or Citizenship then all of a sudden a few years have passed , the rules have changed , and they’re screwed .
Lots of opportunities here , and silly money to be made , but some seem content to stay in the crap low paid jobs whining like ■■■■■■■ rather than exploring other avenues . Each to their own by all means , but do not slag Canada for failing to pave the streets with gold .It is here , just slightly hidden from view .
Discuss :wink:

Edit , failure to grasp basic English .

Spot on FTTM.

The job is different here. In part because of the distances from pick up to drop and mileage or percentage pay means Canadian drivers usually work longer hours, and since we only earn when the wheels turn to enjoy the lifestyle opportunities you will be putting in some road time to pay for it.
For some its a nightmare, personally it suits my wife and I very well but everyone is different.
I would say the opinion of people like the last couple of posters who are time served and experienced out here are those you should be taking note of, (sucess stories as much as failures) those of dreamers wannabes and others with fixed ideas and nothing else are a negative waste of your studying time.
I moved to the Maritimes in 2010 and its worked well for us.
On this side of the country there are hiring opportunities, but they’ll all be at least a week out at a time.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

As you fellas said , everyone is different, so what suits one man, might not suit another.
Best way of finding out the truth is to analyse some numbers.

so, would you FTTM, Neil and Dunchues be willing to answer some questions about pay conditions that a driver can expect from the likes of H&R and similar before he gets his PR (so first 3-4 years if things go well) and after he gets PR and still does long haul?

We could analyse other types of jobs after one gets his PR, but to make it easy and not complicate too much, lets start with long haul before one gets PR and after getting PR.

Are you up for it?

dunchues:
The job is different here. In part because of the distances from pick up to drop and mileage or percentage pay means Canadian drivers usually work longer hours, and since we only earn when the wheels turn to enjoy the lifestyle opportunities you will be putting in some road time to pay for it.
For some its a nightmare, personally it suits my wife and I very well but everyone is different.
I would say the opinion of people like the last couple of posters who are time served and experienced out here are those you should be taking note of, (sucess stories as much as failures) those of dreamers wannabes and others with fixed ideas and nothing else are a negative waste of your studying time.
I moved to the Maritimes in 2010 and its worked well for us.
On this side of the country there are hiring opportunities, but they’ll all be at least a week out at a time.

I’ve been told East side is good for more home time, I work away now and my wife prefers the break lol, I’m really not fussed where I settle at least not yet, I just want to get my foot in the door, I’ve spoke to quite a few who are over there and here who have been and all have said once there it’s easier to sort things out, so all I’m after right now is a heads up on who’s got LMIA, I’m no sprog so I’m aware I’ll most probably get the crap to start with but I can always move on if necessary once I’m established :slight_smile:

If you go to Alberta, your Lmia will only be for 2 yrs, so given that you will need to be sponsored within 6 months as it can take up to 15 months to obtain your Pr. Not sure with the other provinces, maybe quicker. H&R is a bit like marmite, you’ll either love it of hate it, I’ve had friends who worked for them and hated it, as most of the time your reset will be away in the states waiting for a reload back. I know some people who have been working for them for a long time also, it suits them as their single.
I started at Walters trucking in Lethbridge on $0.44 a mile and they normally get a lot of Lmias, personally I wouldn’t work for them again but it’s a door way in.

hkloss1:
As you fellas said , everyone is different, so what suits one man, might not suit another.
Best way of finding out the truth is to analyse some numbers.

so, would you FTTM, Neil and Dunchues be willing to answer some questions about pay conditions that a driver can expect from the likes of H&R and similar before he gets his PR (so first 3-4 years if things go well) and after he gets PR and still does long haul?

We could analyse other types of jobs after one gets his PR, but to make it easy and not complicate too much, lets start with long haul before one gets PR and after getting PR.

Are you up for it?

I’m not, cant speak for the others. Ive seen numerous attempts to help you and none of it works.

You’re right everyone works differently and my numbers only apply to me, they really wouldn’t help you at all.

There really is no secret, your need for assurance is not helping you; out here if you work pretty ■■■■ hard, (because of the size of the place its all longer trips than UK) dont whine and get on with the job youre going to make out ok. If you ■■■■■ and remind everone they dont do it like this in Europe you will have a miserable rotten time. Dont matter whether its hit and run in AB or Eassons in NS thats OTR trucking in Canada.

I drive with my wife and dog, out 3 or 4 weeks at a time and not long between trips either. Done that for 7 years for the same company I started with and 6 months with my new one, last 18 months in my own old truck. Not many people would want to do it but it suits me well.

To be honest to me its still fun, I love what I do out here.