Emigrate to new zealand

Hi, a repeated question but as a lot of posts are quite old just wandering if any one knows of any current employers in nz looking to recruit from uk at moment, I have uk class 1 =nz class 5 looking to move with wife and 2 kids, any info appreciated.

stevehounslow:
Hi, a repeated question but as a lot of posts are quite old just wandering if any one knows of any current employers in nz looking to recruit from uk at moment, I have uk class 1 =nz class 5 looking to move with wife and 2 kids, any info appreciated.

Better of looking in the ex pats forum mate…Someone there will know the score

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

stevehounslow:

Better of looking in the ex pats forum mate…Someone there will know the score

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That’s a great idea…

I’ve moved it for him. :smiley: :smiley:

I’m pretty sure Steve will now start getting some answers from those in the know.

Same as Steve just wondering if any one knows of any current employers in nz looking to recruit from uk at moment, I have uk class 1 HGV license 25 yr any info appreciated.

Truck driver was removed from the NZ skill shortage list a couple of years ago. There was a short-term exemption in the Christchurch region while they rebuild after the earthquakes, but I heard that this is well advanced so even those temporary visas are difficult to get now. I think you have to have worked in NZ for 2 years before you can get one (so those already there can renew, but it prevents new drivers coming in).

All very depressing… :frowning:

Not just truckies I’m afraid.
There is a election coming up in September and immigration has become somewhat of a political hot potato. One of the ideas being discussed is a median minimum income of $48k a year as some of the “skilled migrants” are things like yoga instructors and cant make the dollars so sign up for income support. Not the greatest asset to a small country when as soon as the ink is wet on their permanent residency, they bring over their whole chuffin family who are entitled to a full pension after only 10 years with no contributions.

NZ falls into line with Austrailian policy on a lot of things, they have their fare share of unwanted attemps of invasion, and having seen whats going on in Europe with uncontroled migrants, the drawbridge is coming up even for Brits.

Driving trucks here is just not an option as it is no longer considered a skilled vocation.

On a brighter note, we have just had a visit from Boris Johnson, with fine words of renewing anglo/kiwi relations and easier visa entries for both countries in return for post Brexit trade agreements, so chin up people.

AndieHyde:
Not just truckies I’m afraid.
There is a election coming up in September and immigration has become somewhat of a political hot potato. One of the ideas being discussed is a median minimum income of $48k a year as some of the “skilled migrants” are things like yoga instructors and cant make the dollars so sign up for income support. Not the greatest asset to a small country when as soon as the ink is wet on their permanent residency, they bring over their whole chuffin family who are entitled to a full pension after only 10 years with no contributions.

NZ falls into line with Austrailian policy on a lot of things, they have their fare share of unwanted attemps of invasion, and having seen whats going on in Europe with uncontroled migrants, the drawbridge is coming up even for Brits.

Driving trucks here is just not an option as it is no longer considered a skilled vocation.

On a brighter note, we have just had a visit from Boris Johnson, with fine words of renewing anglo/kiwi relations and easier visa entries for both countries in return for post Brexit trade agreements, so chin up people.

Thanks for the heads up i’ll keep all that in mind

AndieHyde:
There is a election coming up in September and immigration has become somewhat of a political hot potato.

Just to note that the election resulted in a coalition government being formed which has removed the National party and replaced them with a Labour/NZ First coalition government led by Jacinda Ardern.

One of the Labour party’s pledges was to significantly cut immigration numbers, and you can imagine that NZ First are equally xenophobic. If it was hard before, it will now become harder still and the door is likely to slam shut altogether. Such a shame, given that there is a real shortage of HGV drivers according to many/most of the haulage companies.

Hey ORC.

Did you see this a couple of weeks ago.
i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri … z-shortage

Place where I work had a Toll truck in today piloted by an Indian, very young so can’t have been here that long. There must be a way for British drivers to get here, if you were determined enough.

AndieHyde:
Hey ORC.

Did you see this a couple of weeks ago.
i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri … z-shortage

Place where I work had a Toll truck in today piloted by an Indian, very young so can’t have been here that long. There must be a way for British drivers to get here, if you were determined enough.

Interesting article so I googled a little and found this.

irishtimes.com/news/ireland … -1.3236226

It is an Irish newspaper so the article relates to Irish drivers but I assume visas are even easier for UK passports.

Canstaff seem to be one agency that are looking for foreign drivers, preferably English speaking I assume is the reason they have travelled so far.

jobs.canstaff.co.nz/jobs?job_typ … ch+For+Job

Certainly worth an email and a cv if one had one ready I should think.

Enquire at the Kiwi embassy about visas and applying to companies direct might be a good option.