Elog questions.

I work days, do about 6hrs driving, do 4 load & tips which is about 80mins overall for the whole day.
When the day is broken down it’s,
Pre-trip-15mins
Drive-10mins
Work-5mins
OffDuty-17mins, load
Work-5mins
Drive-40mins
Work-5mins
OffDuty-30mins, unload
Work-5mins
Drive-40mins
Except for Pre-trip & first 10min drive, it’s rinse & repeat 3 more times.
AB have just changed the law, whereas I don’t have to do a logbook but I have to show my working day broken down like as above.
All I’ve had to show up to now is my start to finish of day but on paper it looks like I’m going over my hrs every week.
With the Elog when you change duty, can you break it down into less than 15min increments unlike the paper logs, so that it will show the various duties of 5mins etc ?
Is there an Elog that you can get which isn’t linked to a Qualcom sort of machine, so something like a tachotrak (in the UK) sort of hand held machine which I can email or print off at the end of the week ?
I googled Elog and all I could see was the Qualcom type that does all the messages etc.

As I live and work down here and not up there I don’t fully understand the rules such as the 15 minute break ? We have to show a 30 minutes before we hit 8 hours duty.
One tip that may help is that you need to actually go one minute over whatever break you are on, for example a 30 minutes break needs to be 31, a 10 hour break needs to be 10 hours and 1 minute. If you switch your status right on the exact end of the break it sometimes shows 29 minutes and so on for the other breaks. I have experienced this problem in the past.

Pat Hasler:
As I live and work down here and not up there I don’t fully understand the rules such as the 15 minute break ? We have to show a 30 minutes before we hit 8 hours duty.
One tip that may help is that you need to actually go one minute over whatever break you are on, for example a 30 minutes break needs to be 31, a 10 hour break needs to be 10 hours and 1 minute. If you switch your status right on the exact end of the break it sometimes shows 29 minutes and so on for the other breaks. I have experienced this problem in the past.

Hi Pat, legally speaking, I don’t have to show any breaks at all during the day but if I don’t, then I add up all the hours at the end of the week, it looks like I’ve worked over 70hrs when in fact, out of 12ish hours a day I have only worked for about 7 1/2.
So, with these Elogs, will it show a change of duty to the minute you change it or just to the nearest 15mins like a paper log ?
The only thing I have to prove to CVSA is that I am not actually working more than 70hrs in 7days and I take 24hrs off before the 14th day.

It will show the change down to the exact minute, if you are on duty then start to drive even if you move off and get a mile or two into driving it will set the change back to when you started moving. Everything depends on how your company set the logs up ? We are allowed to travel 1.9 miles without the log changing allowing us to drive that distance to get food when off duty etc, or we can be preloading tankers and moving around a terminal when in the on duty mode and it will not change modes, also if we get near the 1.9 miles whilst doing so if we stop for 10 minutes it will reset to 0 miles.
You need to consult with your safety dept to get full details of how it is set up.

Pat Hasler:
It will show the change down to the exact minute, if you are on duty then start to drive even if you move off and get a mile or two into driving it will set the change back to when you started moving. Everything depends on how your company set the logs up ? We are allowed to travel 1.9 miles without the log changing allowing us to drive that distance to get food when off duty etc, or we can be preloading tankers and moving around a terminal when in the on duty mode and it will not change modes, also if we get near the 1.9 miles whilst doing so if we stop for 10 minutes it will reset to 0 miles.
You need to consult with your safety dept to get full details of how it is set up.

Cheers, change to the exact minute is what we want.
I can’t be doing with having to write out every change of duty.
So now I’ve changed my mind on Elogs and am now a great supporter of them.