Long haul trucking in Canada and import of foreign drivers

Since this forum has become a little quiet these days, I thought I would post an interesting exchange of views on an Canadian trucking website.
It is a bit old , it’s from 2011, but from what I’ve researched so far, things have not changed much, if at all.

Glen says:
November 8, 2011 at 4:10 am
The whole problem with the industry ISN’T a lack of qualified drivers, it is however a lack of qualified drivers willing to put up with the ever changing rules, low pay and poor treatment.
Let’s take a quick look at the rules: We’re “allowed” (read required by most companies and your paycheck) to work 70 hours in a 7 day period, we can work up to 14 hours in any one day (but if you don’t want to get stuck in a reset or run south your stuck at 10-11 hours). Let’s see how this affects your paycheck, let’s do a little math
average wage : $0.35 / mile
average speed: 62.5 mph (100 kph)
wage x speed = $21.87/hr
At first glance that doesn’t seem too bad cause you want to got $21.87 x 10 = 218.70 for a ten hour day.
Let’s first look at things that have to be logged but drivers don’t get paid for: 15 min pretrip inspection, 15 min post trip inspection, 15 min(min) fueling (your supposed to log waiting in line for fuel and receipt as on duty). Well just starting and ending your day has cost you 45 minutes of pay.
There’s a ton of other factors that all negatively affect a drivers paycheck: breakdowns not many companies compensate you for sitting around waiting for a tow truck. Road construction, rush hour traffic, bad weather and driving through the mountains all slow down your average speed and increase the danger to you as a professional driver (isn’t ironic that the trucking industry may be the only profession that gets paid LESS when it gets more dangerous?)
Heck let’s throw in loading and unloading, these can take anywhere from 30 minutes to all day and drivers seldom get paid more that 20 bucks per drop off or pick up if they’re paid for it at all:
So let’s add it all up here:
pretrip/post trip/ fuel:
time .75 hrs pay: FREE
Loading/unloading:
time 4 hrs pay: $40
delays(breakdown,rush hour, grade climbing etc): 2 hrs
Driving:
time: 3.25 hrs pay: (62.5mph X .35/m X 3.25hrs)=$71.09
total: 40+92.97= 111.09 or 11.10/hr
wonder why only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the licensed class 1 drivers use it? I think the problem is pretty obvious from the pay side of the argument.

trucknews.com/blogs/should-c … -overseas/

Yep, about sums it up but there are exceptions to the rule with some decent companies.

From the friends I have who left the UK to live and work in Canada I mainly see them coming south and on US roads to work, down here the rules are 70 hours in 8 day’s, not 7 day’s and as soon as they cross the border they come under those rules, just as I automatically come under Canadian rules when I head north. At the border my elog changes to Canadian rules by itself and I get 2 extra hours driving added.
Many guys who move across the Atlantic to live the dream and get those dreams shattered after spending weeks or even months away from their families and homes, a lot of these guys end up going back home to the UK with bloody noses, if you will excuse the pun LOL.
I work for a rare company, Foodliner pay drivers for waiting, breakdowns and other delays, they pay good rates, higher than most and at times when I have sat for 24 or even 48 hours I have been paid for such, this is where the other companies let drivers down. The problem is that most companies in Canada exploit the eagerness of the drivers who want to cross the ocean and drive over here, they know those guys will settle for less just to move here, they pay them less and don’t care if they are ruined and move back broken hearted because there is always some other dreamer waiting to take their place.
On the other hand I have friends who have made the right move and found companies that really care, some have become owner drivers and are making a go of it. I keep in touch with all of them and even meet up with them when I get the chance.
There will always be the miss led fools who fall for these scams to get over and regret the move soon after.

Pat Hasler:
From the friends I have who left the UK to live and work in Canada I mainly see them coming south and on US roads to work, down here the rules are 70 hours in 8 day’s, not 7 day’s and as soon as they cross the border they come under those rules, just as I automatically come under Canadian rules when I head north. At the border my elog changes to Canadian rules by itself and I get 2 extra hours driving added.
Many guys who move across the Atlantic to live the dream and get those dreams shattered after spending weeks or even months away from their families and homes, a lot of these guys end up going back home to the UK with bloody noses, if you will excuse the pun LOL.
I work for a rare company, Foodliner pay drivers for waiting, breakdowns and other delays, they pay good rates, higher than most and at times when I have sat for 24 or even 48 hours I have been paid for such, this is where the other companies let drivers down. The problem is that most companies in Canada exploit the eagerness of the drivers who want to cross the ocean and drive over here, they know those guys will settle for less just to move here, they pay them less and don’t care if they are ruined and move back broken hearted because there is always some other dreamer waiting to take their place.
On the other hand I have friends who have made the right move and found companies that really care, some have become owner drivers and are making a go of it. I keep in touch with all of them and even meet up with them when I get the chance.
There will always be the miss led fools who fall for these scams to get over and regret the move soon after.

About right but I will dispute the sentence about us coming here and settling for less, if you mean less than Canadian drivers.
Some companies had to increase their wages significantly when the LMO/TFW scheme started because of the wage figure on the LMO.
I know personally one company had to increase their mileage pay by 25% or 8cpm to meet with the TFW requirements. So in a a way, for some Canadian drivers, it was a hell of a pay rise and benefit for them when they started bringing us in.

hkloss1:
Since this forum has become a little quiet these days, I thought I would post an interesting exchange of views on an Canadian trucking website.
It is a bit old , it’s from 2011, but from what I’ve researched so far, things have not changed much, if at all./

Almost every post of yours is waffle about how bad pay is in Canada yet you’ve never been here and clearly only read what the doom and gloom merchants say who haven’t got a days work in them.

I laughed at the bit where Pat goes drivers are away for weeks or months :laughing: Certainly not in the prairies they aren’t, majority of companies get you home weekly or fortnightly at the most.

Keep up the Canada bashing posts though it’s enjoyable :smiley:

^^^ should be a “like” button on here :laughing: , back to work myself in the morning , just trying to pay the bills etc :laughing:

clyde:

hkloss1:
It is a bit old , it’s from 2011, but from what I’ve researched so far, things have not changed much, if at all./

Almost every post of yours is waffle about how bad pay is in Canada yet you’ve never been here and clearly only read what the doom and gloom merchants say who haven’t got a days work in them.

I laughed at the bit where Pat goes drivers are away for weeks or months :laughing: Certainly not in the prairies they aren’t, majority of companies get you home weekly or fortnightly at the most.

since you enjoy my “bashing posts”, why there is so much anger in your reply, just sit down and relax.
If you, on the other hand, aren’t happy with me posting negative posts about trucking in Canada, why don’t you post some positive ones, showing the numbers, how good pay is in Canada, how well drivers are being treated, how much respect there is for truck drivers, don’t hesitate, if there is so much good about trucking in Canada, let us know, we all want to learn.
I have asked many specific questions in the past, but only questions that could put trucking in Canada in some kind of positive light were answered, questions that would show Canada in a poor light, worst than it is in the UK, were conveniently left untouched.
Wonder why?
Since you’ve been following all my posts so closely, you know very well, what I’m talking about, and you still have a chance to answer them all.
I have even started a thread basically asking people on here to post positives about trucking in Canada compared to the UK, and guess what, nothing of any significance was posted.
Where were you then to counter my arguments.
It’s not all lost though, you can still go back to those threads and contribute, show me, how wrong I have been all these years.
Saying " I like it more in Canada, because of the weather , lifestyle", is not going to be good enough, you need to base your positive arguments on numbers, as that’s what shows the real picture of trucker’s life in Canada.
99% of drivers thinking of emigrating to Canada, are making the move because they want to improve their financial position, and quality of life, which to you and me means, getting more money per 1 hour of work then they do in the UK, everything else is just some distracting background noise.
If I was Roman Abramowich or any other rich man and wanted to emigrate to Canada I wouldn’t be asking questions about money, but would be trying to learn about the lifestyle, and what there is to do in your spare time, unfortunately I am not, I am just a simple driver, and for me the main concern is whether I would be able to improve my financial situation, as that’s what would determine whether I would be able to afford better lifestyle in Canada.

So, please, don’t let me wait to long, I’ve spend 3 years looking for positives of trucking in Canada, and have not been able to find many, you are my last hope, don’t disappoint me , please.

hkloss1:

clyde:

hkloss1:

since you enjoy my “bashing posts”, why there is so much anger in your reply, just sit down and relax.
If you, on the other hand, aren’t happy with me posting negative posts about trucking in Canada, why don’t post some positive ones, showing the numbers, how good pay is in Canada, how well drivers are being treated, how much respect there is for truck drivers, don’t hesitate, if there is so much good about trucking in Canada, let us know, we all want to learn.
I have asked many specific questions in the past, but only questions that could put trucking in Canada in some kind of positive light were answered, questions that would show Canada in a poor light, worst than it is in the UK, were conveniently left untouched.
Wonder why?
Since you’ve been following all my posts so closely, you know very well, what I’m talking about, and you still have a chance to answer them all.
I have even started a thread basically begging people on here to post positives about trucking in Canada compared to the UK, and guess what, nothing of any significance was posted.
It’s not all lost though, you can still go back to those threads and contribute, show me, how wrong I have been all these years.
Saying I like it more in Canada, because of the weather , lifestyle, is not going to be good enough, you need to base your positive arguments on numbers, as that’s what shows the real picture of trucker’s life in Canada.
99% of drivers thinking of emigrating to Canada, are making the move because they want to improve their financial position, vs quality of life, which to you and me means, getting more money per 1 hour of work then they do in the UK, everything else is just some distracting background noise.
If I was Roman Abramowich or any other rich man and wanted to emigrate to Canada I wouldn’t be asking questions about money, but would be trying to learn about the lifestyle, and what there is to do in your spare time, unfortunately I am not, I am just a simple driver, and for me the main concern is whether I would be able to improve my financial situation, as that’s what would determine whether I would be able to afford better lifestyle in Canada.

So, please, don’t let me wait to long, I’ve spend 3 years looking for positives of trucking in Canada, and have not been able to find many, you are my last hope, don’t disappoint me , please.

Most of us that moved here I would say are here for the lifestyle change not the money.
Anybody who thought Canada was paved with gold is a ■■■■■■■ idiot.
Even when I moved here as a TFW, I earned year after year more than I ever did in the UK but as I said it’s not about the money.
We don’t have to prove ■■■■ all to you or anybody else what we earn, 'cause quite honestly, I dgaf if not one more TFW comes here or not.
And most that moved back, went because they couldn’t adapt to the way of doing things here, I saw it many times with my own eyes.
Anyhow this is just repeating what has been said many times on here.

ive said it before, some o us from the rural north/Scotland /ulster had not a lot of choice in either moving to the south o England where there were jobs as the jobs we had were gone… but couldn’t afford housing etc in the south as we were bloody broke!or doing something totally out of the box and coming to Canada. I was lucky having a house to sell that “retired people” liked the view etc but after paying out came ower with a small amount cash…but enough to buy a house in a village , and a friend did the same in the next village(same as me young family ,work had gone away needed to work )and is still with the same grain trucking company as he came over wae years back,not a perfect company he says but mon-frid ,good miles and treated more than fair. Now for myself ive been driving since 81 made the move in 08 ,as companies go my first company was good ,gave them 30months (had a 2yr twp was PR last 6 months) if the bonus scheme and other small things had been sorted out I probably would have been their still…BUT water under the bridge and all that! :neutral_face: then 6 yrs for a local redi mix company on mixers and driving btrain on stone/gravel. great job full medical etc ,good bosses …was left to do my work /treated like a professional knew what was to be done and only contacted if a change was needed. But a change in company policy (outsource the incoming aggregate and sold the artics left me out o work) BUT the guy that bought my truck took me along with it :smiley: and for the last two seasons have been on camp work on highway maintenance so all in all Canada has been good to us but no roads paved in gold that’s for sure its the same old same old but with logbooks and longer days or in my case no logbooks. NOw wages ,first company I was with money was at least 50% more than I earned back in uk…2nd one even more and only mon -frid and home at night. now the camp job good money easy work but a bad summer weather will cause wages to drop …unlike the UK ,only paid when working and cant work in the rain!!! and as neil said I too have seen people leave the UK on 14gbp an hr come ower buy a mansion ,big 4x4 each and all the toys and last a couple o years went bust and went home skint …its a marmite sort o place Canada is ,some like it and some hate it.

hkloss1:

clyde:

hkloss1:

If you, on the other hand, aren’t happy with me posting negative posts about trucking in Canada, why don’t you post some positive ones, showing the numbers, how good pay is in Canada, how well drivers are being treated, how much respect there is for truck drivers, don’t hesitate, if there is so much good about trucking in Canada, let us know, we all want to learn.
Wonder why?
I have even started a thread basically asking people on here to post positives about trucking in Canada compared to the UK, and guess what, nothing of any significance was posted.
Saying " I like it more in Canada, because of the weather , lifestyle", is not going to be good enough, you need to base your positive arguments on numbers, as that’s what shows the real picture of trucker’s life in Canada.
99% of drivers thinking of emigrating to Canada, are making the move because they want to improve their financial position, and quality of life, which to you and me means, getting more money per 1 hour of work then they do in the UK, everything else is just some distracting background noise.

See Neil, for me quality of life is how little I have to work for as much money per hour as I possibly can get, so I can afford to take as many days off per year as I possibly can, so that I can enjoy my life doing things I like to do, and not just work and work for crap pay.
You can live in the most beautiful country in the world and still not be able to enjoy the lifestyle country has to offer because you know you get pay rubbish money per an hour of your time spent at work, and you have to just keep working and working to put food on your family’s table.

There are some beautiful countries on earth, but it’s of no use to many of their inhabitants as they can’t afford to enjoy them.

Thailand, Philippines, many south and central american countries are beautiful to visit, and can provide with a very nice lifestyle, providing you can afford to enjoy the lifestyle, and most people living there simply can’t.

What you need to remember is that most posts about Canada will be bad news, that’s how news works, people get ■■■■■■ off and go on the internet for a rant. If people were to post about how good life is it would generate very little interest, apart from the keyboard warriors, who would try to get it all kicking off.

People tend to keep their personal financial situation private, so your question as to would you be better off in Canada is likely to go unanswered and even if it does get answered it’s irrelevant as everybody’s situation is different.

Personally I took a massive drop to come here, I went from living in a nice 3 bed semi detached house in the suburbs and driving a nearly new Mercedes-Benz to sharing a flat and driving a $1000 car, my wages were less than a quarter of what I earned in England. On paper that doesn’t sound very good, but you need to know the specifics. If you knew what I knew you would know that things were very different to how they appeared on the surface.

I have seen a lot of people come and go in the 9yrs that I’ve been here, some have had a complete nightmare and gone back to the UK out of pocket, some have the Canadian equivalent of their lives back in the UK and some have prospered to varying degrees.

Which category you fall into depends on you, the opportunity to make a mess of things is there if you want to take it, but so is the opportunity to make a successful move.

In your case, three years of should I, shouldn’t I, has me inclined to advise you to stay put, fortune favours the brave. You should have at least made an exploratory trip by now to see for yourself how things work over here. You ain’t going to learn to swim stood on the side of the pool you know!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

JIMBO47:
ive said it before, some o us from the rural north/Scotland /ulster had not a lot of choice in either moving to the south o England where there were jobs as the jobs we had were gone… but couldn’t afford housing etc in the south as we were bloody broke!or doing something totally out of the box and coming to Canada. I was lucky having a house to sell that “retired people” liked the view etc but after paying out came ower with a small amount cash…but enough to buy a house in a village , and a friend did the same in the next village(same as me young family ,work had gone away needed to work )and is still with the same grain trucking company as he came over wae years back,not a perfect company he says but mon-frid ,good miles and treated more than fair. Now for myself ive been driving since 81 made the move in 08 ,as companies go my first company was good ,gave them 30months (had a 2yr twp was PR last 6 months) if the bonus scheme and other small things had been sorted out I probably would have been their still…BUT water under the bridge and all that! :neutral_face: then 6 yrs for a local redi mix company on mixers and driving btrain on stone/gravel. great job full medical etc ,good bosses …was left to do my work /treated like a professional knew what was to be done and only contacted if a change was needed. But a change in company policy (outsource the incoming aggregate and sold the artics left me out o work) BUT the guy that bought my truck took me along with it :smiley: and for the last two seasons have been on camp work on highway maintenance so all in all Canada has been good to us but no roads paved in gold that’s for sure its the same old same old but with logbooks and longer days or in my case no logbooks. NOw wages ,first company I was with money was at least 50% more than I earned back in uk…2nd one even more and only mon -frid and home at night. now the camp job good money easy work but a bad summer weather will cause wages to drop …unlike the UK ,only paid when working and cant work in the rain!!! and as neil said I too have seen people leave the UK on 14gbp an hr come ower buy a mansion ,big 4x4 each and all the toys and last a couple o years went bust and went home skint …its a marmite sort o place Canada is ,some like it and some hate it.

Yeah Mate

Very good, balanced post, there is no point trying to get upset about someone posting what he read on another forum, in this case a Canadian forum, to see what others have to say.

I’ve been looking into this for the last 3 years, maybe more, and I’ve seen various posts being posted, always try to learn from them and dig deeper.
There no question are some good jobs in Canada, but to get them is very difficult, considering you have your PR sorted and a few years experience in that field, especially these days when oil sand companies in Alberta don’t employ as many people as in the past and don’t pay as well as they used to.

Another sign of things not being so good in Canada is when you read some drivers staying put with the same company after gaining their PRs.
If there were other, easily accessible, better jobs out there they would be running as soon as they got their PR, but many stay.
When you do some proper calculations, most companies in Canada don’t pay any better than what Stobarts pay in here.
I suspect many Stobart drivers would be having troubles accepting Canada companies pay conditions, and we all know what how much respect there for Stobarts, as an employer, in the UK.
I look at GBP to CAD as 1 - 2, as that’s where long term average sits, according to my research.
Yes, we are below this , but that’s because GBP is depressed because of Brexit uncertainty, Canada performing well due to high natural resources prices, but this can’t last forever, so I think long term average is around 1 GBP to 2 CAD.
Even when you look at costs of groceries, that’s the exchange rate that would make the most sense.
So, if Stobart driver, Mon - Fri tramper, can easily earn over £30K, in Canada he would need to expect to earn over $60K, for 60 hrs week.

My posts were not actually ‘Canada bashing’ I am just telling it like it is, if you take a good look I was praising some of those who have done good, those are the guys who didn’t fall far BS from companies, many have become owner drivers and made good choice, there are also some of my friends who work as company drivers and are doing great. It’s not just Canada that does it, Look at the ads seen in Truck mags over there promising to employ drivers in the USA, companies like Schneider who say you will train through ‘Bridgewater college’ which doesn’t actually exist. What Schneiders actually want are idiots who are willing to work for 2 years with no holiday pay and for a rate of 25 cents a mile. We have a driver who recently started with our company, I spent a day with him in my cab to show him how to unload a liquid tanker, he told me he left Swifts because he was paid 25C a mile and was out for 2 months at a time, it destroyed his marriage.

Mt point in the negative posts aimed at those guys who think driving trucks over here is a dream job is to get them to really investigate the company that has offered them a new life, talk to those who are here doing it, to those who have made a success of the move and not just take offers of jobs and residency to get their new life, that will only bring heart ache.

hkloss1:

JIMBO47:

Yeah Mate

Very good, balanced post, there is no point trying to get upset about someone posting what he read on another forum, in this case a Canadian forum, to see what others have to say.

I’ve been looking into this for the last 3 years, maybe more, and I’ve seen various posts being posted, always try to learn from them and dig deeper.
There no question are some good jobs in Canada, but to get them is very difficult, considering you have your PR sorted and a few years experience in that field, especially these days when oil sand companies in Alberta don’t employ as many people as in the past and don’t pay as well as they used to.

Another sign of things not being so good in Canada is when you read some drivers staying put with the same company after gaining their PRs.
If there were other, easily accessible, better jobs out there they would be running as soon as they got their PR, but many stay.
When you do some proper calculations, most companies in Canada don’t pay any better than what Stobarts pay in here.
I suspect many Stobart drivers would be having troubles accepting Canada companies pay conditions, and we all know what how much respect there for Stobarts, as an employer, in the UK.
I look at GBP to CAD as 1 - 2, as that’s where long term average sits, according to my research.
Yes, we are below this , but that’s because GBP is depressed because of Brexit uncertainty, Canada performing well due to high natural resources prices, but this can’t last forever, so I think long term average is around 1 GBP to 2 CAD.
Even when you look at costs of groceries, that’s the exchange rate that would make the most sense.
So, if Stobart driver, Mon - Fri tramper, can easily earn over £30K, in Canada he would need to expect to earn over $60K, for 60 hrs week.

I’ll try to keep this short . 1, Drivers staying with the same company after PR more often than not reflects on the determination of the personality to sort out a better life , maybe some have come over here and like the company , a few . More often than not it’s down to lethargy .2 , do not make the mistake of comparing exchange rates , yes it’s important during the initial moving process but afterwards you’ll be earning $CAD and spending $CAD so the performance of the pound /euro doesn’t equate . 3, Natural resources have taken a dive in recent years , Oil and Potash especially , and combined with the current idiot in charge of this country we are taking a hit , for sure .
4 , most importantly , if you can’t find a driving job paying more than $60 CAN you must be failing somewhere and have done well to find Canada let alone move here :unamused: :laughing:

Good point here /\ /\ /\ /.
I often talk to folks back in the UK and they sometimes ask how much I earn and when I tell them I get the same response, “How much is that in pounds ?”
It doesn’t matter how much it is in pounds because we don’t live in the UK, whatever I make here in dollars has no effect on what I earn in sterling.

So what else can one ask to be able to gauge to level of wages against the cost of living? I agree, the straight exchange conversion is not overly helpful, but it is a start at least. The other important factor is to know how much equivalent things cost. A cheaper cost of living in the US and Canada makes a lower wage affordable and manageable.

According to this, Toronto is around 27% cheaper to live than London, for example:

expatistan.com/cost-of-livi … on/toronto?

So a CAN $45,000 job could comfortably equate to a south east UK £30,000 salary once the buying power is taken into account.

ORC:
So what else can one ask to be able to gauge to level of wages against the cost of living? I agree, the straight exchange conversion is not overly helpful, but it is a start at least. The other important factor is to know how much equivalent things cost. A cheaper cost of living in the US and Canada makes a lower wage affordable and manageable.

According to this, Toronto is around 27% cheaper to live than London, for example:

expatistan.com/cost-of-livi … on/toronto?

So a CAN $45,000 job could comfortably equate to a south east UK £30,000 salary once the buying power is taken into account.

Pardon my rudeness , but why the f**k would someone move to Canada and base themselves in or around Toronto ? Compares well with the South East of England , both consist of overpriced concrete ■■■■■■■■■ and far too many people , and no , $45k will get you nowhere in the metropolis .Even out in the wilderness thousands of miles East or West of Toronto $45k would be hard to exist on , especially if you have a partner like mine :unamused: :grimacing:

If I could get drivers for $45000pa I would go and buy ten more trucks tomorrow and put my class one in the shredder!

Last year I made over $90,000 and we still struggle, and we live an a rural area where the cost of living is very low. I have no idea how our drivers who live in NYC cope.
Toronto, although being my favourite city in the entire continent is a dam expensive place to live. Toronto is nearly all tower blocks and I don’t mean the type you would see in Birmingham, I mean dam tall condo buildings with costs of about $300,000.00 lease for a one bedroom flat. In my village as a comparison you could rent a 3 bedroom house for $500.00 a month and our house which is not exactly small, 3 double bedrooms, a large modern kitchen, dining room, den, living room and even a small reading area, with two big bathrooms, one of which has a jaccuzi, set on half an acre of land with a swimming pool cost us … Dare I say it ? Only $54,000.
You couldn’t get a garage for that in NYC or Toronto :laughing:

newmercman:
If I could get drivers for $45000pa I would go and buy ten more trucks tomorrow and put my class one in the shredder!

Maybe you should recruit from the UK Mark, you are bound to get some to apply, they will live in the trucks :laughing: