Beam, US mail hauler

This company are all over the north east running US mail, most of the drivers are nutters, I was even threatened with a gun by one of them some months back when I told him how much the fine was for driving in the far left lane, they run flat out and seam to have no regard for others safety, all because the have that ‘US MAIL’ sticker on their cabs. Having run US mail when I was doing my O/O bit I know that DOT tend to let them slide by. I won’t deny I ran as bent as a nine pound note during that period, using loose leaf logs and destroying them every week to start again by showing a weeks vacation for every previous week.
It seems however that one of their drivers has turned on them, probably pleading for immunity from prosecution and has told DOT that he was made to falsify his logs every day because he was told that if he didn’t he would not get paid, he had to run illegally every shift. The company have now been prosecuted to the full extent of the law, this involves a lot of drivers and trucks. It makes me wonder what is going to happen with nobody to work the mail ? This means a lot of dam trucks.

HI Pat. Beam Bros are based in MT Crawford VA. They were supposed to have been in trouble previously with the DOT, but nothing ever came of that investigation. They have decent equipment and I know a few of their drivers who come into Orlando. They all seem happy enough there. Mind you they are always looking to hire, check out their website!
Not all, but most Postal Service contractors have switched to electronic logs, and as you know all long distance routes run as relays. Lately they have put more team runs together and whilst the 1st class mail is dying out fast, the Priority Mail is booming (parcels). Most runs are Tuesday to Sunday six days a week which takes it toll on drivers family life, hence the continuous turnover of drivers with all contractors including myself. I have been working the mail since 2001 mostly full time, but nowadays part time.
If you get the right contract its a good number. Easy work, schedules can be tight in some lanes but with the trucks and trailers being tracked you have a good defense with traffic delays.
Actually, I’m waiting to return full time as my body tells me working flatbeds on trench shoring equipment, chaining three or four loads a day is getting a little hard at fifty seven.

Paul

When I did the O/O mail runs I got a roasting for telling them I was driving solo. the expected us to have team drivers, after that I told them the other driver was in the hotel LOL.
To tell you the truth I have often been feeling bored and wondered how I would like to get on flat beds, I have not done that stuff since the 80’s, then I got this dam sickness and I know I couldn’t do it, besides … I would have to be crazy to just give up the job I now have, no company in the USA pays this weekly minimum for 5 days a week work. On my elog when I finished today it showed I ha done 52 hours and this was a hard week LOL, most weeks I have at least 20 hours available when I get home.

Hi Pat. It sounds as if Foodliner is a decent company. They look after you.
I came off the mail three years last November when my daughter was diagnosed with LCH, a tumor which eats the bones. Its not a cancer but treated as one as it spreads through the body and if it gets in to the organs is a lot more serious.
I was running a team operation between Dallas and Orlando turning in Mississippi about one hour north of Mobile Alabama each driver running 580 miles per day. There were three drivers working four days per week over six days on a three week schedule, leaving Orlando 6.30am and getting back about 5.00 the next morning. I was never more than 24 hours away which meant I could always get to the house or hospital if needed. Then the contract changed and we were expected to run Orlando-Dallas, either New Jersey back to Dallas then Orlando or Dallas to Los Angeles, then back to Orlando. I couldn’t risk being away that long as we were spending a lot of time at Nemours children’s hospital, and my daughter always comes first.
I was brought up in a farming, engineering and transport family business spending a lot of time on the tools. I landed a job with a company called Pile Boss who rented 360 degree excavators with computerized hydraulic hammers. Mostly Dae Woo’s/Doosans , Caterpillar and a few JCBs as well. The owner had lost interest in the business and decided to sell 22 of the 26 machines off. It was my job to get them all in tip top condition to sell privately and at Ritchie Brothers Auction here in Davenport.
I did such a good job, I did myself out of a job lol, two and a half years down the road. Pile Boss was a subsidiary of Trench Shoring Services which rents Trench boxes to utility contractors to protect the workers from soil collapsing into a trench whilst working in a trench.
I helped out with big jobs at TSS as needed and when a friend of mine who worked for their competitor found out I would be looking for a job, he got me an interview and I was hired immediately, less than one hour after learning I needed to start looking.
Ironically, the company I work for now are in the process of buying out my old employer and seven or eight of their locations.
I will admit its hard work, but its days, Monday to Friday and has a decent health insurance plan, which I seem to be using more often than I would like.
The heat is getting to me, April and we are in the high 80s ffs. Its taking its toll on my tired body, so if the right contract at the Postal Service comes up I’ll be jumping ship.
Lots of changes since you were involved Pat, but a steady easy number, one to retire to.

Paul.

HI Pat. Well that seven year investigation into Beam Brothers has resulted in both brothers and their finance director being charged with fraud.
Forcing drivers to run over their hours and falsify log books, and then not paying the correct hours for the job. The FED"S are seeking $40 Million as the company pocketed the money over a twenty year period.

The contracts and vehicles have been taken over by Eagle Express Lines on April 13th and are currently working out of Beams premises along with the current staff in MT Crawford VA.
Word is the owner operators and sub contractors will go as you are not supposed to sub the work out on a regular basis. Christmas is the only time you are allowed to do that.
Eagle Express Lines were from South Holland Illinois, owned by the Pal family who sold the business a year or so ago. Their motors were some of the smartest on the road, red, white, blue and silver.
Eagle Express are now based in Chicago, Indianapolis, Pittsburg and MT. Crawford. Possibly the biggest U.S. Mail contractor.

After two years working two jobs, my part time gig in the Orlando/Atlanta relay has turned into a full time position. I just hired a part timer to cover my Sundays and vacation. Work days Tuesday to Saturday, 9.25/9.5 hrs per day feel as if I’m semi retired. Sweet.

Looks as if your health is holding up, take it easy, Paul