Calculating Axle Weights?

When I was on holiday in Florida 3 years ago,I got chatting to a driver who was parked up a Disneyland.One of the things that came up was how American drivers work out axle weights for each state they drive through.Sliding axles are one way of doing it but he also mentioned some sort of mathematical equation that I think he called the Bridge Rule.Can any of you guys over there explain this for me as I was left a bit bewildered by the answer he gave me (amongst the very southern drawl of an accent!)

I have no idea where my axles have to be to change the wieght distribution, I do however move the wheels foreward if carrying a light load. The bridge law is just a safety rule in some states effecting the distance between tractor and trailer wheels that stipulate the turning circle of a truck, in Vermont fo instance (on route 4 east of Rutland) no vehicle may be over 67ft or 72ft with a permit and with that permit the rear wheels of the trailer must be no further than 43ft from the kingpin.
I was stopped on the Masspike by a cop one day because the wheels were right at the back, they were siezed so he let me go as I had defected them earlier that day.

Thanks for that Pat. I also wondering why all the states seem to have different weight rules when its meant to be one big country.Doesn’t seem very United when it comes to traffic rules and laws.I was impressed with the fact that places like Disneyland and the other big theme parks in Florida don’t mind trucks parking up in their carparks so long as you are visiting them.I can’t really see places like Alton Towers or Thorpe Park welcoming drivers to park up and visit like they do in the states.They’d more than likely slap a parking ticket on you for taking up a coach parking space!

Can’t really answer that one Bryan, but it does get confusing.
When I load out of Poland Springs in Maine a sign in the dispatch says that certain states will allow 52 ton loads, but how we are suposed to get them across the other states I don’t know. Maine in particular is very strict on weights, they lock you up on the spot and someone has to come and pay for your release, other states you get just a ticket to pay within 20 days.