Visiting Australia

Hiya Folks

I’ve got the opportunity to visit some friends in Australia soon and one set of those friends have a 7.5t motorhome.

I’ve been perusing around the various government/state departments to glean information but I was wondering anyone here has had first hand knowledge.

Basically, I’ll be there as a visitor, for less than 30 days and I’d like to help them with the driving of their motorhome. I’ve got a C+E and D in full on my licence in the UK, and their vehicle is equivalent to a UK 7.5 tonner.

So, I’ll take my licence but is there anything else I need to consider or take? Or apply for? I’ve got the PDF for the IDP which I’ll apply for too.

Most countries allow the use of a UK licence for 30 day’s or more (excluding some Islamic ones and Asian countries). The vehicle you describe would be classed as a private vehicle and therefore no special licence would be needed. Car licences are accepted, HGV or PSV are not recognized. Before I moved here I worked with an Australian guy who had a full Australian HGV class one, he was never questioned on it either by the company or by police when someone hit his truck.

On another point, look in every ■■■■ and cranny of the vehicle for nasty poisomous things LOL.

Hello Mate, I am not sure if the different states have different rules but my advice to you would be to go to your local A.A. office in the U.K. and for a couple of quid (if they still do it) get an International Driving Licence with your C+E stamped in it. I used to do this whenever I visited Australia or Southern Africa and I never had any problems.

I hope this helps.

qld.gov.au/transport/licens … s/driving/

From a NSW perspective. I have a LGV1. When I came here, I automatically got a HR licence which is the same as a LGV2. … I was a perm resident, and I wasn’t permitted to drive any vehicle higher than a car on my uk licence prior to exchanging to nsw Licence … my wife has the C1 on her licence U.K. And she lost it in nsw. U don’t think u are legally able to drive it in this state on a visitor licence as we couldn’t hire a vehicle of said size.

Www.rms.gov.au that the website u can look at for nsw. You could always send them an email,they are prompt.