Is 18 too old?

I’m not talking about barely-legal teens but the truck I have been given to drive at my new employer; a 1998 Kenworth W900. I did tell them that I liked old trucks at the interview but wasn’t expecting something from the last century. Would any body else have taken-on such such an old motor?

If it’s still Legal and works why not , there’s firms in U.K. Using older trucks than 18 years old
Yes I would drive it as long as it was a legal and safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
If it’s still Legal and works why not , there’s firms in U.K. Using older trucks than 18 years old
Yes I would drive it as long as it was a legal and safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is all legal and safe. It has just passed it’s yearly Safety test. The only fault I can find is that the revcounter is a bit scatty.

that’s newish out here in the sticks :laughing: …lol the oldest one ive been given to drive in MB was a 69 DMM that was in2010.with my regular mixer was a 82/3 … as you will have noticed my regular motors is a 98/99 .

mabey their just seeing what your made of and if you get on with it,or turn into a drama queen…do a week,then say yay or nay.at worst,you will appreciate a newer truck when you get one that little bit more…

It could be that they are testing me out but my mate started last month and got a 2010 Western Star. They do have new trucks but seem to give them to the teams. I can’t complain about the inside. Really well cleaned and a brand new mattress.

Jimbo’s boss must be similar to mine; liking the old stuff and still out driving.

aye chris both my bosses ive had out in the sticks buy near new /new and rebuild and rebuild again, they both drive and would not let you take out a motor that they wouldny drive…welllll apart from any o the Macks wae a Mack 13sp in.he prefers the Eaton 13( I would rather have the Mack 13 than an Eaton 13 any day o the week but there again he says Scotsmen are strange )… and my last summers boss has a couple o rebuilt mack visions/ch sitting waiting to sell if the pre 2000 no elogs needed comes in . :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: meant to say the difference I have been told is the Mack 13 box cogs have straight edge cut and doesny wear the corners of the gear like the eaton box so imo feels tighter better move but no mercy if speed/revs not right. :blush: :blush: what a fun day if jumping one tae another in a day.

I drive an 05 T600 with 1.5 million miles on her and one rebuild under her belt and she’s fine, absolute reliability compared to the new engines and all their ills. We still have a 97 on the road, two 99s an 03, three 05s and six 07s that are all pre emissions for all intenses and purposes with the 05s and 07s being CAT C15 acert engines with no EGR valve. We also have 3 Cascadias 2014 and newer that whilst not bad, give more trouble than the rest of the older trucks combined.

One of the 99s went from New Brunswick to Florida and then to BC the other week. Our company maintain them meticulously and they just keep running. I’d prefer a bigger modern truck for living comfort but the most important thing for me is reliability and not being stuck for days on end in a dealer on no pay etc.

Robinhood, you’ve made me feel a whole lot better knowing that there are others out there with the same type of equipment as me. Reliability is the most important thing and I hope it will be a good earner for me. I’m still out on my first trip; Winnipeg to Laredo, reload Houston and back to Winnipeg, but so far so good.

ChrisArbon:
Robinhood, you’ve made me feel a whole lot better knowing that there are others out there with the same type of equipment as me. Reliability is the most important thing and I hope it will be a good earner for me. I’m still out on my first trip; Winnipeg to Laredo, reload Houston and back to Winnipeg, but so far so good.

I’m at the point now where by if they offered me a brand new truck I’d seriously consider turning it down in favour of keeping this old thing. In this truck I have something I can trust and coming in to winter now thats even more important. Your new truck is 18 years old, its hardly likely to have made it to that age by being a bad or unreliable motor, it’d have been scrapped or exported long before now had that being so.

See how it goes, so long as maintenance is kept on top of, I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Chris, I have seen Robinhood’s truck twice and even sat in the drivers seat and watched as he shoveled coal into the fire box :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Actually Jordan, did I see you heading north on 81 yesterday ?

Pat Hasler:

I was on 81 yesterday between I80 and I84. Probably around midday, give or take.

Pat Hasler:
Chris, I have seen Robinhood’s truck twice and even sat in the drivers seat and watched as he shoveled coal into the fire box :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Haha classic!

Well, I got home from the trip and the truck never missed a beat. Over 3000 miles inside my 70 hours, so not a bad weeks work. Off out again on a similar run on Monday. Here is a map and a couple of pictures.

robinhood_1984:

Pat Hasler:

I was on 81 yesterday between I80 and I84. Probably around midday, give or take.

Yep that would not be you, I was on the section south of Carlisle and it was about 9.00am. I will be heading north in ME Mon/Tues as I have an 8.00am delivery to Old Town on Tuesday.