CDL USA

Just read that CRST in US have been granted an exemption by the FMCSA to allow non-CDL holders with learners permits to drive without the trainer in the seat of the truck, then allowing them to run as a team.
This is beyond crazy, who next ? Swift ? Werner ?
These big carrier’s accident records are shocking now as it is with CDL holders, it can only get worse.
Glad I don’t drive in the US no more.

I think all the Megas will try to get an exemption because the can’t find enough drivers to fill their seats.
And yes, it’s getting worse, I’m now driving thru the States since 2009 and a lot has changed in these years.
My experience, keep an eye on Swift, CR England, Werner, Prime, CRST, USA Truck, stay far away from them at a truck stop when they try to find a spot.
You will find hundreds of Videos on YouTube :frowning:

This is a recipe for disaster… Even those who have supposedly been trained are terrible :astonished:

I doubt much will change. Many of them were already sleeping and “teaming” in effect already and regardless of any of that, those doing the “training” are often entirely useless themselves and are “veterans” with 3-6 months driving experience and are as clueless as those they pretend to train.

I was speaking with a Swift trainer at a delivery,He told me when he get’s a student they have an average of around 2 and a half hours of driving by the time they get their test passed at the school.
His student just then had been through the school in Salt Lake,He took the student’s out for a month to teach them the job.
He also told me the learning truck had 6 seat’s in it,1 seat for the instructor and 5 for the student’s,1 of the 5 seat’s was the driver’s seat.
I remember when i learnt to drive it took 2 week’s and cost me 108 quid,When i eventually got a job as i was only 22 years old,I was driving a Mickey Mouse Foden with a 180 Gardner in it,They said can you rope and sheet i said just about i can do the dolly knot’s,Go and load that 40ft flat and hurry up back,That was my training done,40 years later and still learning.

From what I gather most of the trainers have only got a couple of weeks experience anyway :laughing:

neilg14:
Just read that CRST in US have been granted an exemption by the FMCSA to allow non-CDL holders with learners permits to drive without the trainer in the seat of the truck, then allowing them to run as a team.
This is beyond crazy, who next ? Swift ? Werner ?
These big carrier’s accident records are shocking now as it is with CDL holders, it can only get worse.
Glad I don’t drive in the US no more.

From what i have read about this, the Carriers that are allowed this, is for the driver to drive to his home state do pass his test. if the carrier has proven that the driver is capable of driving alone, and is trained (to what standard, i don’t know). Then he can drive alone, legally.