Driving in USA - toll roads

OK folks, I’m driving from Disney land to sunlife stadium to catch a Dolphins game in October. In a car BTW.

How do the toll roads work over in the states, it says they are cashless on the Florida Turnpike Toll road , so I take it that means I have to use card?

Any information you can provide me with for this journey will be fantastic

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I think that they are transponder operated. I’m pretty sure you can add them to the rental car package.

Here in California they use a transponder but you can usually pay online too within 5 days.

W.

PS. If you don’t pay the tolls the hire car company will add them to your card plus and admin fee!

Thank Pilotwolf. How do I get one of these transponders? Or should I just ask the rental company to sort me out?

The rental Co will offer it, and like the man said it will be cheaper to accept it as if you ‘forget’ there will be a little addition on your next cc statement!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

sunpass.com/index

sunpass.com/rentalcar

W.

‘Cashless tolls’ means if you don’t have a tag the licence plate is snapped on camera as you pass under the toll gantry. There are not many toll roads in Florida, I have driven many miles in the state without using them so I wouldn’t even bother, just find other routes.

Take route 417 and 528 to I-95 south to Miami, it’s only slightly longer and far more interesting route and you will not have to pay any tolls.

Woops, forgot about this thread,

Pilot wolf, once again, thank you.

Pat, I will look into these routes.

Was thinking of running on the us 192 all the way to I-95.
Good/bad/indifferent?

sinclair89:
Good/bad/indifferent?

when you go to get your hire car ask for a sun pass transponder. It cost me $20 for a month for the transponder. I travelled all over the east side of the country including florida and when I got back here I was billed for £19. for that sort of money its not worth all the hassel of trying to avoid the toll roads. should imagine your bill would be less than that if you confine your journey to florida

boycie49:

sinclair89:
Good/bad/indifferent?

when you go to get your hire car ask for a sun pass transponder. It cost me $20 for a month for the transponder. I travelled all over the east side of the country including florida and when I got back here I was billed for £19. for that sort of money its not worth all the hassel of trying to avoid the toll roads. should imagine your bill would be less than that if you confine your journey to florida

Cheers mate [THUMBS UP SIGN]

I’m pretty sure you can stay on interstate 4 and the state highways to get to most places in Orlando, just stay off the Florida turnpike which is a toll road, when I was last on it a year ago you could pay cash, it wasn’t a great deal about $18 for a 5 axle truck and trailer, there’s also a website where you can calculate the cost from point a to point b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matynp:
I’m pretty sure you can stay on interstate 4 and the state highways to get to most places in Orlando, just stay off the Florida turnpike which is a toll road, when I was last on it a year ago you could pay cash, it wasn’t a great deal about $18 for a 5 axle truck and trailer, there’s also a website where you can calculate the cost from point a to point b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the info.

Spoke to the company we booked our holiday with, they just told us to speak to the rental company when there :slight_smile: not fussed about costs, more just how it works XD

Sinclair89.
If you are driving from Disney Land you will have a long trip as that is in California. Disney World is in Orlando FL.
The rental car company will offer you the Sun-pass Transponder. If your’e going to be using the car a lot take it, as there are a lot of toll roads now in Florida. The 528 Bee Line, Osceola Parkway, 417 and 429, and 408 along with the Turnpike all around Disney World.
Depends if you are flying into Sanford or Orlando International, but you will hit a toll some where and most are now Sunpass/E-Pass or exact change only. They are cutting back on Manned toll booths for cash. If you don’t take the transponder some roads will bill the rental company by pay by Tag/ Number Plate. Not all Counties do this and there is a fine of $100.00 for non payment of toll, photo enforced by the vehicles Tag. Have a stash of quarters (25 cents) handy and you should be ok. If an exit says E-Pass only skip it there will be another regular one not to far away.
You can take 192 to I 95 to get to Miami, but from the Disney area you can take Hwy 27 south and its quicker. No tolls at all. Old road, much more interesting drive.

Pat, lots of changes down here. Interstate 4 through Orlando has a six year widening project going on and its a mess. Can be a parking lot both directions through out the day.
The amount of traffic on the roads is unreal. Tremendous growth in Central Florida the past ten years and no sign of it slowing down.

Regards Paul.

Evening folks, thought I would update.

We picked the car up from Alamo in Disney on the first Saturday of the trip then dropped it back off on the Tuesday by some hotel near IHOP, which was convenient as we hadn’t had breakfast by this point.

I asked about the tolls and they said it’s already set up on the car, they just took my credit card details so they can charge me for them. There was a moment where I saw a sign near a toll saying “blue hyundai contact insert number " I was like “erm… I have no phone signal!!” Then I remembered the one I was driving was black. The Mrs responded with " zb it!”

I hazard guess and say if I did something wrong then it would have came up when we took the car back or I would have been stopped by police at some point.

Had lots of fun driving down to Miami, went down the Florida Turnpike (?) Was about a 3.5 hour drive and well worth it!

Thanks for all the information

Happy for you and the fact you had a good time :slight_smile:

sinclair89. The sign you saw was a Statewide Amber or Silver Alert. Amber is when kids are abducted, Silver when people go missing possibly due to illness or medication. You can phone the cops if you see the car they are looking for. You can get the same message on your phone.
They wouldn’t chase you down for a toll infraction.
Those signs are quite successful.
Glad you took the trip to Miami, and had a good time.
85 Degrees today, its been a long hot summer. Can’t wait for the cooler temps.