What's Poland like to live and drive in?

I’ve been busy learning French and about France since last year as that was my plan to escape Britain, where I’ve not managed to buy a house. I planned to take a bit of dosh to France and get some kind of life for myself. However, with Brexit that plan is now very much up in the air. However, I’ve met a charming Polish girl and it looks promising. We are having the ‘where would you like to live?’ discussion. It’s ironic that EEs flooding the UK driving and housing markets (wages down, housing prices up) is part of the reason why I’ve been forced to think about leaving. Does anyone have any experience on what life might be like for a Brit out there and just what it’s like generally, including trucking obviously? Cheers.

No idea myself. Get your girl-friend to look at the Polish trucking web-sites for job advice. But the winning combo might be; UK wages and buy a house in Poland?? And allow extra cash for winter clothing…

id imagine its like driving around milton keynes on a sunday morning in 1963 seeing as theyre all over here…cheapo country…cheapo houses…cheapo wages,so youl end up doing what they do…work here for 4 weeks solid,spend nothing,then hop a sleazyjet home for a week.thats what the ones i know do…30 days straight,then offski for a week.theyre not working over here because its better in krakov.

If you think she’s ‘the one’ and she’s saying that she’d rather go home than stay here,this country isn’t exactly flooded with eligible young women.If it was me there’s probably nothing to lose by looking for the best job you can find over there and see if you can settle there.You might even find the best of all worlds of better quality work that gets you home here on a regular basis with wages that aren’t that much lower taking into account cost of living difference. :bulb:

It’s great driving in Poland, the roads are empty, they are all in the UK driving trucks. :laughing:

What a lot of helpful, supportive messages. Thank you so much. I got something from each of them. I feel really encouraged and if it works out with my gal I think I will take the plunge!

learn Polish the French will be ■■■■ all use in Poland.

Yer good point mate. The resources available for learning Polish are really limited compared to learning French, altho I have an ace up my sleeve with her good self! They say that’s the single best way to learn anyway. I am finding it a really pretty language now I am paying attention to it - bloody near impossible to learn fully or pronounce properly tho apparently!

is a flippin impossible language to understand i gave up the idea of trying to learn a bit of it years ago

I grew up with what was called a natural flair for languages. Did French, Geman and Spanish at A level, as well as Latin O level.

Bear in mind, my dads parents were Polish, and he could speak both up until school at school age, he decided to listen in Polish but answer in English.

My grandparents were alive well into my 20s, and I could never understand a bloody word.

Ask a Pole to pronounce a word you see written in front of you.

Hang on, just off to google something.

poniedziałek

Ponny jow egg. Lot off fuss to say it’s Monday in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I’m not having a laugh or insulting anyone that is over here to earn a crust. We have loads of Polish drivers on our books, rate nearly all of them better than half of the agency dirtbags we have, asked one the other day whereabouts he was going in Poland for his holidays (well he did say he was having 3 weeks off)

I received the answer “Gran Canaria”

So if the grass was particularly green over there, I’m sure they’d still be on it

I’ve heard the language is infernally difficult and impossible for a non-native to really master. If you can’t do it when you have family members who are Poles, that pretty much backs up the idea that the rest of us have no chance. It is really pretty tho!

Why should it be impossible to learn.Any language can be learnt if you want to.You have to have the willingness,the enthusiasm,and the patience to get over the starting hurdles of sounding strange when you try to make conversation and you have to like the country
Many of the drivers on here have learnt other languages due to different circumstances,i.e.living and\or working in another country,or romance.
Obviously some languages are more easy than others.I found Dutch and Swedish easier than French or Dari but managed to learn them all so it is possible.

Because of the number of cases and declentions, the same word can be conjugated a hundred different ways. Altho I agree a positive and ambitious attitude is necessary for learning any language.

I can pronounce “kooooooorva” it’s probably spelt jzurk

Several years ago I was in Germany visiting my aunt who was terminally ill in a hospice. One of her nurses was Polish and told us she’d been in Germany for over 20 yeas. She would have been in her 40s at the time so would have left Poland in her 20s. She said that after spending so long in Germany and not being surrounded by Poles, she’d forgotten how to speak Polish properly because its so complicated and despite living in Poland for the first 20 odd years of her life, she now could not communicate properly in what was once her native language.

When i lived in Holland i travelled a lot to[and in transit to USSR] to Poland.I met many Dutch guys who spoke medium to good Polish.They only learnt by driving to Poland[and having ‘‘special’’ girlfriends.So if cloggies can learn it there should be no problem for someone like you with a PL girlfriend.Every language has it’s idiosyncrasies.
PS.I never learnt any Polish as it is one of my least favourite countries[together with Albania].

Robinhood - that story is simply amazing!!

Hutpik - thanks for that. By the way - what makes Poland one of your least favourite countries? Am interested…

Hi W.I suppose it was a mixture of things,remember i’m going back to the early 70’s and onwards.It just seemed so bloody dismal there,the customs were rubbish and it was just not for me.It was not really any worse than anywhere else in the Eastern block or USSR,but as i had a lot of multi drop work over the years it just seemed worse to me.Perhaps not speaking the language added to the misery,yet the same problem in other countries didn’t seem to make a difference,you got by with hands and feet,and a smile.
We all have our favourite and non-favourite countries,i mean i personally love Turkey [even now]and i would go back to Afghanistan to live if it was like it was in the 70s.France was never a favourite ofmine even though i spoke reasonable French and my wife was Quebecois,but contrary to many guys i loved Iran.I suppose it all boils down to personal feelings,i mean who in their right mind would move from Holland 3000kms North,above the Arctic circle to voluntarily have 6 months of Winter down to -43c.And yet i am more than content here.

That’s very interesting - thanks! I guess a lot of things do boil down to personality as you say - but interesting observations! Bet it was a different world back then.