Can't swap my class 1 for the Canadian one

Hello folks

I’ve come to Canada with a work permit (working holiday visa )
I’m in saskatchewan province. I had heard in this forum some guys who could exchange their class 1 for the Canadian one but I’ve been told recently by the sgi clerk that they don’t do it. I just can get a class 5 (cars) and then take up the class 1 exam by myself.

They even showed me the computer and it didn’t allow them to select class 1 or anything else than car license. .

Any help ?

Cheers.

This is correct, you can still work but not drive a truck till you take a drivers exam. I think that’s pretty standard across canada but I’m sure someone will correct me if not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russjp:
This is correct, you can still work but not drive a truck till you take a drivers exam. I think that’s pretty standard across canada but I’m sure someone will correct me if not

Ok thank you . I was mistaken then .

Can I ask you something about the tests
.I went to the sgi and they gave me 3 books. Air brake manual, saskatchewan profesional handbook and saskatchewan drivers handbook.

Is that all i need to study? I don’t need class 2 manual (bus ) … right?

Cheers

You’ll get your class 5 then you’ll sit a computer theory test for class 1 and a seperate airbrake test, for your driving test you need to do a full walk round check of the vehicle before you go out on the road naming all the vital parts of the vehicle and engine/air components. That should take 20-30 mins minimum - the driving test itself is a piece of cake, get your head round the airbrake system I found that the most difficult part to get my head round

alvaro00:
Hello folks

I’ve come to Canada with a work permit (working holiday visa )
I’m in saskatchewan province. I had heard in this forum some guys who could exchange their class 1 for the Canadian one but I’ve been told recently by the sgi clerk that they don’t do it. I just can get a class 5 (cars) and then take up the class 1 exam by myself.

They even showed me the computer and it didn’t allow them to select class 1 or anything else than car license. .

Any help ?

Cheers.

this is correct my friend. I moved to regina 16 years ago, I couldn’t swap my car license back then. had to retake car test…

Who on this forum told you that you could do a straight swap for a UK/European class 1 to the a Canadian class 1?

Thank you guys.

I might have misunderstood some post I read time ago. I thought I could get class 1 but yes, that’s not the case.