Emigrate to U.S?

Hi, Is it possible to emigrate to the US from the UK and get a job out there? If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

Thanks

In a word no.

Unless you have an American wife or husband or intend getting one the chances are almost zero.

If you have a specialties skill a US company may sponsor you for a visa. Or if you work for a company that has a US operation and they’re willing to transfer you.

If you’re from certain countries including Ireland you can enter the visa lottery for a green card.

The only other way I know of is to invest (I think) $500,000 in a business in the US.

Uscis.gov gives you all the information you need.

PW

I thought Canada had a program in place?

Check out the ex pats forum…Everything you need too know is on there…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

PandyDandy:

Canada isn’t the US though…

W.

My older brother lives in Texas working with oil company and back last year he took my other brother back out with him to start work. Not a chance went to apply for green card and they told them they still processing from over 5 years ago. So basically he had a few weeks holiday if you put it that way and had to come home when time was up.

you could do the contract harvesting route …grain or silage and don’t forget about construction jobs (MN ) all on visa 6month ones iirc you never know you could get shacked up wae a local…US custom harvesters inc . road construction also on site.

Do you know how difficult it is to come to the uk and get a job… i’ll give you a clue, just cross the border… and thats it

PandyDandy:

That’s a different country. :wink:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :blush:

davebo99:
Hi, Is it possible to emigrate to the US from the UK and get a job out there? If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

Thanks

I can’t help you with an answer, but I’ve moved your topic to where I think it will be best seen and discussed by those in the know.

Not to put a spoiler on things but I moved here 16 years ago, married an American and have a daughter with her, I love what I have but knowing what I do I can’t understand why anyone would really want to move here ?
Drivers are treated in a disgusting way by almost every company, there is virtually no vacation pay until you have been working for any company for a year, then you usually get 5 days, there are only 6 national holidays recognized by trucking companies, there is no real healthcare system, you can be fired at a minutes notice without pay, if you do anything wrong you can be suspended on the spot with no pay, you have no employee rights whatsoever, taxes are disgustingly high despite what you may think, true … you may pay less from your pay check but town taxes, village taxes, school taxes (you don’t need to have kids to pay this, it’s the law), my property taxes alone come to $600.00 a month and we live in a poorer rural area. Our healthcare insurance costs $150.00 a week and if you are sick for over 6 weeks it is cancelled and you loose every cent of your premiums and are left to go bankrupt because you can’t afford the treatments. If you have dental insurance you go to the dentist only to be told your insurance only covers a tiny bit of the costs so your ridiculously high dental charge of $10k means you will still have to pay 3/4 of it. In all you need to make a great deal of money to survive, each doctor visit that you think is covered by your insurance involves a co pay of about $25 to $50.

Now for the truck driving bit…
You will be treated like a slave. You will only be paid for the miles you cover and mostly then it will be from zip code to zip code so you loose a far bit of actual milage, you can sit around for days in a truck stop for hours or days unpaid waiting for an assigned load, you will not be paid overtime and get days off if you actually do work a holiday and as said earlier you will not get vacation pay or very little anyway.

As others mentioned, unless you are married to a US citizen you don’t have a chance anyway.

Sorry to be a spoil sport but you need to know the truth.

very well put pat :smiley: :smiley:

Bloody hell Pat, don’t sugar coat it !!

I worked in the USA when I left school, with the Young farmers club , international student exchange visa JI program, one lad went out ,met a lady, and didn’t come back.
I looked at the harvest teams, of driving combines or tractors covering most of the States.
I was sent to a dairy farm in Michigan then to a tree plantation in Fort Lauderdale.
They are not tolerant of giving green cards to live and work there, just by getting married, maybe years ago, but not now.
There is the cruise ship option, from Port Everglades Miami they go to all of the Caribbean and South America , to get work.

Unless you are Irish you have zero prospects of a green card unless you marry a septic tank.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pat Hasler:
Not to put a spoiler on things but I moved here 16 years ago, married an American and have a daughter with her, I love what I have but knowing what I do I can’t understand why anyone would really want to move here ?
Drivers are treated in a disgusting way by almost every company, there is virtually no vacation pay until you have been working for any company for a year, then you usually get 5 days, there are only 6 national holidays recognized by trucking companies, there is no real healthcare system, you can be fired at a minutes notice without pay, if you do anything wrong you can be suspended on the spot with no pay, you have no employee rights whatsoever, taxes are disgustingly high despite what you may think, true … you may pay less from your pay check but town taxes, village taxes, school taxes (you don’t need to have kids to pay this, it’s the law), my property taxes alone come to $600.00 a month and we live in a poorer rural area. Our healthcare insurance costs $150.00 a week and if you are sick for over 6 weeks it is cancelled and you loose every cent of your premiums and are left to go bankrupt because you can’t afford the treatments. If you have dental insurance you go to the dentist only to be told your insurance only covers a tiny bit of the costs so your ridiculously high dental charge of $10k means you will still have to pay 3/4 of it. In all you need to make a great deal of money to survive, each doctor visit that you think is covered by your insurance involves a co pay of about $25 to $50.

Now for the truck driving bit…
You will be treated like a slave. You will only be paid for the miles you cover and mostly then it will be from zip code to zip code so you loose a far bit of actual milage, you can sit around for days in a truck stop for hours or days unpaid waiting for an assigned load, you will not be paid overtime and get days off if you actually do work a holiday and as said earlier you will not get vacation pay or very little anyway.

As others mentioned, unless you are married to a US citizen you don’t have a chance anyway.

Sorry to be a spoil sport but you need to know the truth.

May I spoil your cry a bit… just a bit… - I agree that Health stuff over there is gravelike…

About holidays etc…
Here - in modern tax avoidance scheme Britain… (it’s different now from when you were young…) majority of us - Drivers are on Self Employed of Ltd tax avoidance schemes = NO Holidays, Sickpays etc goodies… so … I would say almost equal to US…

About poor US driver in his Flat on Wheels…
Here - in Europe, we have polyester/foam/smth plank few inches behind seats (seats are half of US seats)… while you are jumping around in your moving Flat…
Most of young people here rent till they die rooms in shared houses that are smaller than your Flat on Wheels…

What else - oh right… insurance scams and cyclist scams…
We here have cyclists trying to get compensations - they do that sneaking up to left side door and scraming just few meters after left turn on junctions… then claim compensations…
Then these crash for cash and whaiplish watewa scams…

Oh, yeah … and we are not driving in straight line all day… we have corners tight places and lanes are narrover than yours guess…
Cameras everywhere cashing in…

Oh, and services yeah… showers… do you really want to even start on this…

Get real… you guys over there are in much better conditions…

Only downsides I would agree:

1. no tacho so slave labour probably if it’s the same as here all non tacho jobs… fake papers and just roling… but there are certain pluses on this as well - streching to services anytime with pen…
  2. your VOSA - DOT is much rougher on you than these ones here…
  3. Food… ■■? maybe food is worse over there… plasticy, chemicaly…

Just saying - cheer up, you’re better off than you might think…

You can buy house for one years salary over there… we here can’t… And I mean proper house not 2 brick walls and fake grass 10x5m
You can drive proper car - we can’t… we have to struggle with micras, vans and hothatches due to all these insurance scams racking up money for last 30 years to clownish rates… how many do you think in here - on this forum can afford to drive pickup trucks her ein UK■■?

:open_mouth:

Having been driving over there from 1975 to 2000 I know exactly how trucks are equipped inside and would swap my ‘Flat’ as you call it for my Scania that I last used to spend weeks in actually as I worked for an exhibition company and I was away for months at a time. The seats in the Scania were far more comfortable than the cheap crap in this new Freightliner I live in LOL. Did you know that suspension that can go up as well as down still has not been invented here yet ? In fact if I mention any such suspension to others here they think I am joking LOL
I understand the self employed comment but I am referring to the way employees such as myself are treated. The fact remains that nobody can come here and just drive, live or do any work without a green card and as an employee they would have no rights.

Well then I have to appologise, I was just judging from youtube US driver videos and they did have airypumpysuspensiony seats…
What do I know… just watching youtube… :frowning: no one let’s me in there to see for myself… :frowning:
:grimacing:

Surely driving those Flats on wheels without airsuspensionseats in straight line on highways can’t be worse than driving old tipper with hard suspension and old seat on these roads… ? :smiley:

i would kill someone for my auld Reiver 6wheeler tipper from the early 80s than the solid camelback (0% suspension )tipper I now spend my day in ! :sunglasses: :laughing:

Maybe don’t go to jail, just go to shop:
bostromseating.com/