New cashless tolls, question

Not really to do with trucks really but I have noticed all these new ‘cashless’ tolls going up everywhere, Tappan Zee Bridge, PA turnpike and now it seems the whole of the Mass pike is being kitted out. If you don’t have an ezpass you will be billed by mail, I assume a photo is taken of the licence plate. We currently have some friends over here touring the country in a hire car, they landed in Boston and are over for about a month. How will they be billed after they fly home ?

Pat Hasler:
Not really to do with trucks really but I have noticed all these new ‘cashless’ tolls going up everywhere, Tappan Zee Bridge, PA turnpike and now it seems the whole of the Mass pike is being kitted out. If you don’t have an ezpass you will be billed by mail, I assume a photo is taken of the licence plate. We currently have some friends over here touring the country in a hire car, they landed in Boston and are over for about a month. How will they be billed after they fly home ?

Most if not all hire company’s hold credit card details with written in the contract that any fines charges etc incurred will be debited. Not much you can do once you’ve left the country

In 2009 I rented a VW Passat estate and on the final day of our holiday I drove into and around the city of London in violation of the congestion charge, mainly because although I saw all the info signs advising drivers of the charge, not one sign explained how to pay the dam charge, as a result about a month later Avis contacted me to say they have received a fine of 250 pounds, I said I had no idea what it was about and they just paid it but never charged me, next year we retuned to Avis, used the same card but again nothing was mentioned.

Yeah but in the States Pat you only gotta ■■■■ and you get a ticket, if it’s not paid they hold you at departures making you miss your flight costing you god knows how much to get home :wink:

I just don’t see how it can be properly enforced ? The signs say ‘billed by mail’ but most licence plates here are so hard to read even at a crawl let alone high speed.