How much can this load be paying?

So Monday morning I unloaded in St Albans VT and was running back down to NYC for another load back up there. All got changed about 95 miles north of the city, I went to Kearny NJ instead, got the tank washed as I took 10 off, and then ran empty to Rochester NY where I am now loading for Aspers PA which is about 290 miles away, how much can they be making to have me run about 700 miles empty just to run 290 miles loaded ? It makes no difference to my pay, I don’t loose out and still get my minimum weekly wage. I just can’t see how they can be making such a profit.

Short haul loads pay a Helluva lot more per mile than long haul.
It’s not unusual for short haul to pay as much as $5 + a mile.

Same old same old Pat, it’s worth what it’s worth.

If production will stop for say 2 hrs that could cost the plant $50.000 or more on down time.

My point is actually that it took up 2.5 days to do, it must have paid the company a lot, I was told to book all the empty miles on the trip sheet.
2 1/2 day’s to deliver a load from Rochester NY to about 20 miles SE of Carlisle PA… Also a load was delivered only the previous shift.

I checked my pay advice the load only paid $125.00 plus $97.00 empty miles, it took two days to do. It makes no difference to my pay as I get a minimum weekly amount. I did mention the ridiculously low rate to my dispatcher and he said they are trying to arrange a fixed higher rate. When you think that a load from Yonkers NY to Fairlawn NJ which is a distance of 14 miles pays $125.00 it is beyond belief LOL.

Sometimes a company will do a job for nothing just to stop another haulier getting their snout in the trough.

There are a number of reasons a job like that happens, human error being one, your lot may have forgotten about it and you were the only truck available to cover it, or the planned driver had a problem, or another carrier let the customer down, or the customer made a balls up and your lot got them put of the ■■■, it may have been a contract job that had to be done regardless. Strange things happen in offices, only the men behind the desk know the big picture, so it’s best to leave the office dwelling folk to the thinking and just get on with the driving.

newmercman:
There are a number of reasons a job like that happens, human error being one, your lot may have forgotten about it and you were the only truck available to cover it, or the planned driver had a problem, or another carrier let the customer down, or the customer made a balls up and your lot got them put of the ■■■, it may have been a contract job that had to be done regardless. Strange things happen in offices, only the men behind the desk know the big picture, so it’s best to leave the office dwelling folk to the thinking and just get on with the driving.

As it happens Mark, mine turned out to be the 3rd load in 4 days so I think they knew the rates.

One thing I don’t understand is having to go over 300 miles from B&J in Vermont all the way down to Newark NJ to wash the tank out then over 300 miles back up north to reload, I am dam sure there are tank washes between St Albans VT and Rochester NY.

Pat Hasler:
One thing I don’t understand is having to go over 300 miles from B&J in Vermont all the way down to Newark NJ to wash the tank out then over 300 miles back up north to reload, I am dam sure there are tank washes between St Albans VT and Rochester NY.

Could be a contract thing Pat , they may only accept particular wash contractors due to having contamination, another problem is your place might not have a valid account and the time to set one up and the amount of times being used ?

I would go with nick2008’s answer above.

newmercman:
I would go with nick2008’s answer above.

Maybe but I happen to know the charge for the wash alone was over $600.00 LOL

I’m pretty sure a company the size of Foodliner incorporate cleaning into the rates.

We have our own tank washes, but not in the NYC area, I think there are talks going on two outfit one of 3 bays in the building we have leased next to Dominos but I think the EPA are against it, I don’t know why when the filthy Hudson runs right next to it LOL.