Getting job in Vancouver

Hi I am Interested in moving to Canada (Vancouver BC). I am only about to take my practical test here next month so I’m brand new and I understand companies out there need at least 2/3 years experience. Has anyone moved to Vancouver? Can anyone point me in the direction of how to go about this

Many Thanks

Dave

You’ll need two years experience first before anyone will entertain employing you, plus I’m thinking Vancouver is probably one of the most expensive places to set up and live in too but I’m sure someone from that area will be able to advise more than I can

Thanks

What about other areas in Canada?

The 2 years still apply everywhere but as far as I know Saskatchewan and Manitoba are two of the easiest provinces to gain PR but finding a company with LMIA’s is close to impossible at the moment

davebo99:
Hi I am Interested in moving to Canada (Vancouver BC). I am only about to take my practical test here next month so I’m brand new and I understand companies out there need at least 2/3 years experience. Has anyone moved to Vancouver? Can anyone point me in the direction of how to go about this

Many Thanks

Dave

What Russ said above. +1
Have a read of past threads on here, plenty of information on how to go about it and also look at cic.ca website, also tells you how to do it.
Are you a UK citizen and under 30yrs old by any chance ?

It’s still possible to get a job in Canada even without an LMIA and even if you are over 30 (IEC visa) as there are other ways but they’re pretty much non existant, i’m moving to Manitoba in February so it is possible but it’s taken since February this year to get sorted. It is, however, pointless to recommend or start looking for companies now for yourself. When you hit the 2 year mark you should contact companies and see what the situation is then as rules will have changed, the ease of gaining a permit will have changed and which companies are recruiting from abroad will have changed. BC is not the most difficult province to get into and stay but it’s also not the easiest, they also might want you to have more than 2 years experience because you’ll likely be crossing the Rockies a lot but that’d be down to company policy rather than immigration purposes.

I suggest you use the next 2 years to do a lot of research on google, all the info is there, learn about the visas, about the requirements, about the provinces and you will then know how to proceed, I always find it odd when people say they are wanting to move to Canada, specifically a city but haven’t really done any research. Should be something you do for a long time before coming to a decision.

Kiowan, what are the other ways into Canada without a LMIA or IEC ?

Rubber dhingy and lots of cash… Seems to work for others.

You can go in via the PNP, you need a job offer from a pre approved company and you have to get nominated before you even leave the UK. I have my nomination already, just need to apply for PR in the next few weeks before I head over but will enter on a 2yr TWP while that goes through. I think Kindersley transport used to do it this way back when they were one of the bigger overseas recruiters, they don’t need an LMO/LMIA. I should point out that to my knowledge said company no longer recruits abroad, this was 8 years ago or so they were part of it.

You need an LMIA to get your work permit whether you have nomination or not as far as I’m aware

You also get a “letter of support for a work permit” from provincial immigration to go with your nomination.

I don’t know if things have changed or if the criteria is different for the PNP before arrival route, but back in 2010 when I got New Brunswick nomination and it came time to renew my TWP after the first year, I already had my PNP cert from the province and did not need an LMO because of that, though I was still tied to the company on my certificate. Has this since changed?

Wow some great information thank you all very much for the response I really appreciate your time. Dave

Robinhood, the TWP still ties you to the company until PR comes through, wouldn’t fancy your chances of switching companies during TWP either as then you would need an LMIA.

Kiowan:
Robinhood, the TWP still ties you to the company until PR comes through, wouldn’t fancy your chances of switching companies during TWP either as then you would need an LMIA.

The PNP cert states which company you’re tied to, and as a result so does the TWP. You can change jobs before getting PR while on PNP without getting a LMIA. I know a few personally here in New Brunswick who have gained PNP through one company and bailed out to another firm before getting PR. In their cases they contacted the PNP office and got them to issue a new PNP cert with the new company name on etc. This could easily differ from province to province of course.

It’s no problems to switch companies once you have your nomination through from the province as long as said company has an LMIA.

Kiowan:

You can go in via the PNP, you need a job offer from a pre approved company and you have to get nominated before you even leave the UK. I have my nomination already, just need to apply for PR in the next few weeks before I head over but will enter on a 2yr TWP while that goes through. I think Kindersley transport used to do it this way back when they were one of the bigger overseas recruiters, they don’t need an LMO/LMIA. I should point out that to my knowledge said company no longer recruits abroad, this was 8 years ago or so they were part of it.

Pre approved company IE they have got lmia for you. Without that you can’t get a WP

taffytrucker:

Kiowan:

Pre approved company IE they have got lmia for you. Without that you can’t get a WP

Taff, not in AB you can’t do this, but in a couple of Provinces, you didn’t/don’t need a LMIA, it’s like a couple of other posters have said.
Have seen it on other forums before.

neilg14:

taffytrucker:

Kiowan:

Taff, not in AB you can’t do this, but in a couple of Provinces, you didn’t/don’t need a LMIA, it’s like a couple of other posters have said.

The whole system is a joke

taffytrucker:

neilg14:

taffytrucker:

Kiowan:

The whole system is a joke

You still over here Taff ?