Moving to Canada

Hi peeps

I know this question has probably been asked a 1000 times but all answers seem to vary I’ve been offered accommodation in winnipeg by a cousin and told to apply for work from there, each time I look into it all I get completely confused iv been told that UK licences are transferable in manitoba but when I look into it there’s only mention of car licences and no mention of the hgv licence.

There’s also mention of English exams surely as a British citizen at 45 I wouldn’t have to sit an English exam?

I also read about bringing paperwork with me but what paperwork do I need? And forgive my ignorance but the abbreviations don’t make a lot of sense to me iv managed to pick up some along the way but others are still a mystery.

My intention is to go over for a wk with interviews already set up if I get offered work I can stay on and move the family over later but not sure how long the process takes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Cheers

Hi Marty, it’s not an easy process anymore. To much for me to go into at this time but have a read through the below link. It will give you some idea.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=131065&hilit=Canada

Hi yeah I read it seemed to go off point as most threads do on many sites, it becomes confusing as everyone starts talking like we understand everything (UK drivers). I understand it’s not easy, was also wondering if the new pm will b changing anything. Every where I look I end up in circles.

Don’t tell customs you are looking for a job to start with. Even if you get offered a job it could take a good few months for your new company to get the relivent paperwork on place so best bet is to leave the country and square things away in the UK. Car licence can be transferred not a problem but not your class 1. Got to retake that along with your air brake tests

My cousin (well Mrs cousin) has good connections over there so they’ll set up the interviews for us, I’m not expecting it all to slip into place straight away but so that I can help get it right does anyone know what paperwork I’m going to need iv downloaded the air brake manual and the professional driver hand book so I’ll have a head start on that, I’m planning on going over Feb time for interviews and go back to set up b4 the family comes over so would like everything I need to b in place for then

Before any interviews are set up to wanna make sure that company in question cab get a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) because without that they can employ you even if they want.
That means at least 3 months proof they have tried to employ locally on at least 3 different Web sites etc. Each advert has to be worded a certain way then they have to apply to the provincial government for LMIA. All proof of trying to employ local will need to be sent off along with a $1000 fee per LMIA they apply for. Even if all the points are met they still might not get the LMIA and have lost the money they have put into it

taffytrucker:
That means at least 3 months proof they have tried to employ locally on at least 3 different Web sites etc. Each advert has to be worded a certain way then they have to apply to the provincial government for LMIA. All proof of trying to employ local will need to be sent off along with a $1000 fee per LMIA they apply for. Even if all the points are met they still might not get the LMIA and have lost the money they have put into it

Blimey it would be easy to imagine them making the jump from that to as it was in the 1980’s.Where ‘proof of trying’ to employ a ‘Canadian’ national meant it being a continuous requirement even ‘after’ and ‘if’ the ‘foreign’ worker was employed. :bulb:

1 of the connections my cousin has is with the owner of polar another I know is an hgv trainer, they’re pretty clued up with what’s needed at that end what I’m desperate to find out is what paperwork I need so that I can produce everything in 1 go

MartyG:
1 of the connections my cousin has is with the owner of polar another I know is an hgv trainer, they’re pretty clued up with what’s needed at that end what I’m desperate to find out is what paperwork I need so that I can produce everything in 1 go

That’s the paperwork that needs to be in place before they even supposed to offer you a job.

I mean the paperwork I need to produce like crb check and do I need to have taken the AZ test b4 applying also what type of permit is it just a straight 4ward work permit I believe a drivers record is also needed iv read so much iv gone in circles and no longer sure what I actually need

hi full criminal background check from uk full ten yrs previous employment record rest is basically done here just one thing unless your cousin knows a company that does the lmo basically work permit its impossible u will need interview with whatever company then they apply for you it all changed recently b4 that companies were throwing lmo /at just about any uk guy/woman but now they have to stump up 1000dollars the companies have dropped right of. also if u going to manitoba in feb be prepared for gruesome depressing weather . b4 moving here 10yrs back i done 20yrs european with commi/bloc and parts of scandinavia thrown in . but nothing like weather in canada i was stuck in winnipeg last xmas waiting 4 load 2 usa 3days straight minus 35/38 deg hope some of this helps gd luck with it all :smiley:

stevejones:
hi full criminal background check from uk full ten yrs previous employment record rest is basically done here just one thing unless your cousin knows a company that does the lmo basically work permit its impossible u will need interview with whatever company then they apply for you it all changed recently b4 that companies were throwing lmo /at just about any uk guy/woman but now they have to stump up 1000dollars the companies have dropped right of. also if u going to manitoba in feb be prepared for gruesome depressing weather . b4 moving here 10yrs back i done 20yrs european with commi/bloc and parts of scandinavia thrown in . but nothing like weather in canada i was stuck in winnipeg last xmas waiting 4 load 2 usa 3days straight minus 35/38 deg hope some of this helps gd luck with it all :smiley:

Thanks I can produce all that. cousin lives in winnipeg so had the low down I drive up in the Highlands a lot and although it’s not a minus 38 temp it can b pretty bad especially in the mountains

ok gd luck with it all :smiley:

APCO check for the police check should take about a week to come through. All the air break course etc is done once you have your work permit

APCO check?is that something else to a CRB check

MartyG:
APCO check?is that something else to a CRB check

It’s not a CRB you need it’s the APCO. Or ACPO can’t remember which way round the letters go lol just Google it and it will come up

you need a uk police search background check which now all get done in scotland your local plod office will give you details and cost

immigratemanitoba.com/mpnp-i … a-austria/

kyk:
http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/mpnp-information-and-employer-engagement-sessions-in-vienna-austria/

That’s great but I’m a very long way from Vienna need to know when they’re in blighty

I came to alberta in Jan this year
Paperwork I needed was
Birth cert
Licence
Drivers abstract -call DVLA they will help you £5
Resume (all on one page if you can)
Police check ACPO -about £45
Think that was all…
If you want to stay and get residency the id advise getting an IELTS English test done before you get here
Have all your references for the last 10 years work
Have your high school/college certs with you

The employer applies to the gov for an LMIA which is then sent to you when/if they get one, you take that and all the relevant paperwork to immigration at the Canadian airport and they will issue a work permit

There is probably something I’ve missed but that’s what I needed from memory
Hope that’s a help for you