Moving out to France

I find myself to be a lucky guy who has ended up with a lovely French wife (she speaks English and my French is so so) and we currently live here in the UK. However, we feel that the time has come to move over to France, sometime soon, to hopefully start a better life. I would hope to continue my truck driving over there, but like I said, my French isn’t perfect but I can understand more or less what people are saying. It’s not perfect but I like to think I can speak better French than most people from Europe and beyond can speak English over here (no disrespect intended). So I was just wondering if anyone here has any advice on what to do and the best way to approach this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

Once over get yourself down to as many local agencies as you can find. As long as you can communicate in French and understand what your mission is you’ll be fine. You have the advantage of having a French wife that in conjunction with being in France will quickly bring your French on. All your UK driving quals are valid here, so no worries there. Most companies after having worked for them a bit will ask directly for you once they are happy with you.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Edit. Think carefully about where you live to put yourself in the best place for driving jobs. I live over an hour from Montpellier so no good for the 90% of driving jobs that are from that area.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice. It’s very much appreciated

No problem. :sunglasses:

My school teacher that taught French was agressive, so i did not learn well with him, so i decided to teach myself French by reading childrens books in the library or at home.
The best way is to start at the lowest age range of books and work up through the age range.
It will take time, but all of a sudden the brain recalls what you have read in the books and the language all clicks in to place.
You then learn fast when the wrong food arrives at the table at restaurants, when i started driving in Europe, i pointed to what the next driver was eating to order.
When getting stopped by the Gendarmes or the Douanes, they are impressed in my fluency and most of the time i am waved on after a few minutes, if on a full controle, which could take an hour in the mobile X ray machine or the cab or trailer being checked over, you can crack a few jokes with them, they love taking the mick out of our Prime Ministers, you can fire back and mention Le Penn or Sarkoszy, and have a good craic,they like the Thatcher jokes and Major.
Ooh la la.
Also vary the reading from novels, magazines and newspapers, time tables, every day life reading.

Another question I have is: what’s the current status for type 1 (injected) diabetic drivers in France? It’s allowed in the uk but on a 1 year license to be renewed with medical each year (a pain in the ■■■ (no pun intended)). Although be sure before you answer because I know a lot of drivers in the U.K. Think it’s not allowed at all. This because when the law came into effect diabetic hgv drivers had their licenses taken off them, but thankfully the law has been relaxed to how it is now and not everyone knows that.

Thanks et Merci beaucoup

Sorry, no idea of the situation here for drivers with type 1 diabetes.

What part of France is your wife from ? (as I’m guessing you’ll be moving to that area).

Volvo gaz:
I find myself to be a lucky guy who has ended up with a lovely French wife (she speaks English and my French is so so) and we currently live here in the UK. However, we feel that the time has come to move over to France, sometime soon, to hopefully start a better life. I would hope to continue my truck driving over there, but like I said, my French isn’t perfect but I can understand more or less what people are saying. It’s not perfect but I like to think I can speak better French than most people from Europe and beyond can speak English over here (no disrespect intended). So I was just wondering if anyone here has any advice on what to do and the best way to approach this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

Is she ■■■■?

Depending on where you intend moving to, maybe work for a UK firm, but be based in France? There are a few companies that do this I believe. You`ll therefore overcome any language difficulties, but will still have to research about French licence/medical requirements, if changing to a Fr one because of residency etc.

Volvo gaz:
Another question I have is: what’s the current status for type 1 (injected) diabetic drivers in France? It’s allowed in the uk but on a 1 year license to be renewed with medical each year (a pain in the ■■■ (no pun intended)). Although be sure before you answer because I know a lot of drivers in the U.K. Think it’s not allowed at all. This because when the law came into effect diabetic hgv drivers had their licenses taken off them, but thankfully the law has been relaxed to how it is now and not everyone knows that.

Thanks et Merci beaucoup

Hi the short answer is yes you can Drive PL and SPL Here, The best thing you can do is contact your local prefecture and ask.
I know pre 2013 Permis Poids lourds (HGV) was always with a yearly medical vist, But I think it’s now every Three years!
I could be wrong about the Three years. but a worst it’s the same as the UK.
To be honest your lucky being your wife is French. the is nothing on this earth like the French admin. :question:

Regards Jim

Was forced ( talked into ) taking French in school! Hated the country with a passion ever since! :unamused:

Good luck though :wink: