Trapped in Greece, how can I get my van out?

Hi, my van broke down in Greece and I couldn’t afford to repair it so I parked it on a friends private land and flew back to the UK to save up.

I didn’t realise a non Greek vehicle could only be in the country for 6 months, so now I don’t know how to get it out again without being impounded at the border.

Apparently the fines are extortionate for overstaying. I have read on forums that they don’t check road tax on the ferry to Italy, but if they are wrong I’ve lost my van (and home).

I’m exploring the idea now of having a Bulgarian tow truck drive over and carry me out, as that way I wouldn’t be on the road.

Does anyone here have any ideas, besides planning better?

Thanks,
Andy

Easy, fill your van up with paying economic migrants, pay the fine, you’ll still be quids in.

Get a cheap personalised plate and re register it and get all the documents? I Don’t know lol

rent 2nd van from Bulgaria or Albania etc…drive in with 2nd van…have spare plates made with you for 2nd van…take a mate with you…put spare plates onto 1st van…drive both vans back at same time,and cross border simultaniously at diff places.worse that can happen is the van thats going to get impounded…gets impounded…mabey try following your nose up the back roads till you know your across the border.? depends on the value of your van if its worth the effort?..change your insurance as if your heading there next week,and do an I.J on it? :confused:…or…bin it for scrap in Greece,and hello officer,my vans just been nicked from the street it was parked in where theres no security cameras…not that anyne would condone any such naughty goings on,but if someone did that,then it would be a quick payout,plus whatever the van made in spares in greekland?..the emphasis being on the wording on the ins payout…stolen,and unrecovered. :bulb:

dieseldog999:
rent 2nd van from Bulgaria or Albania etc…drive in with 2nd van…have spare plates made with you for 2nd van…take a mate with you…put spare plates onto 1st van…drive both vans back at same time,and cross border simultaniously at diff places.worse that can happen is the van thats going to get impounded…gets impounded…mabey try following your nose up the back roads till you know your across the border.? depends on the value of your van if its worth the effort?..change your insurance as if your heading there next week,and do an I.J on it? :confused:…or…bin it for scrap in Greece,and hello officer,my vans just been nicked from the street it was parked in where theres no security cameras…not that anyne would condone any such naughty goings on,but if someone did that,then it would be a quick payout,plus whatever the van made in spares in greekland?..the emphasis being on the wording on the ins payout…stolen,and unrecovered. :bulb:

Sounds like a good week, through some beer in there and I’ll be your mate!