New Zealand

Hi all,
I’m going on holiday to New Zealand in November to visit my best mate. While I’m there I thought about trying to get a job interview and hopefully a job offer. Does anyone on here know of any firms that might hire me? I’m not fussed about location too much.

Last time I checked unless you have a working holiday visa the only place you can get a temporary work visa for truck driving is Canterbury and only for one year. Won’t take you long to find out the companies hiring there, likely to do better just looking when there and knocking on doors.

Yup, Class5 drivers are still only on the CSSL - Canterbury Skills Shortage List. To be honest, there’s quite a few companies always on the lookout for drivers and also, many of agencies are taking new staff on their lists. Like said, you can get work permit only for a year at a time but there’s no limit how many times you can re-apply for it.

prefix:
Yup, Class5 drivers are still only on the CSSL - Canterbury Skills Shortage List. To be honest, there’s quite a few companies always on the lookout for drivers and also, many of agencies are taking new staff on their lists. Like said, you can get work permit only for a year at a time but there’s no limit how many times you can re-apply for it.

Is it like Canada in that after x amount of months or a year etc on a work permit you can apply for permanent residence?

Nope, unforunately not, you can’t get residency as Class5 driver since it’s still regarded as a non-skilled occupation… There has been several years of push from unions to get it listed as skilled occupation but nothing has happened. Still though, you can get work to residency -visa through few companies as long as they are accredited and you’re hourly rate is high enough. This mainly applies for tanker work, in general freight rates ares still a bit too low.

However, you can get residency through a relationship with kiwi :wink: