moving to canada

looking to move near to Niagara falls are their any good companies. looking at moving with the family dont want to be away weeks at a time but dont mind being away. we have family that way but none of them are in transport.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hi m8 maybe erb./from new hamburg /baden .or challenger motor freight. both on web

Loads and loads of companies in southern Ontario, but sure about Niagara Falls in particular though. Iā€™m presuming youā€™re moving to Canada and specifically Ontario via family sponsorship or your wifeā€™s occupation as Ontario doesnā€™t allow for PNP for truck drivers which means no permanent residence if youā€™re wanting to do it that way.

danj:
looking to move near to Niagara falls are their any good companies. looking at moving with the family dont want to be away weeks at a time but dont mind being away. we have family that way but none of them are in transport.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If you do make it there, I rather would have thought that the long distance work is all youā€™re likely to get, realistically, as thatā€™s where the demand is.

Rather like over here, the pay and conditions are w ank.

You might be able to get a bigger house than you could over here, but that only means higher maintenance costs.

There are plenty of decent jobs around in that part of the world, (although theyā€™re mostly on the 401 corridor) from home every night/day shunts across the border to Detroit with car parts/steel/rubbish and there are out all week jobs running to the East Coast or the mid west.

Pay no attention to the gloom and doom merchants on here, robinhood has been telling everyone how bad it is for years and yet not only is he still in Canada, he writes diaries of his trips and you donā€™t do that about something you hate! I have a feeling he would complain he had too much money if he won the lotteryā€¦

My suggestion is to go out there and knock on some doors, hang out in the trucks tops and speak to drivers, find out from the men on the ground, rather than a bunch of moaners on here who will soon be arguing with each other and calling each other names as is usually the case.

I have a couple of friends that have moved ut to Ontario from Manitoba, where itā€™s supposed to be cheap living, they have houses equivalent to the ones they had in Manitoba and each of them tells me the cost of living is cheaper and the quality of life is better, life is what you make itā€¦

newmercman:
Pay no attention to the gloom and doom merchants on here, robinhood has been telling everyone how bad it is for years and yet not only is he still in Canada, he writes diaries of his trips and you donā€™t do that about something you hate! I have a feeling he would complain he had too much money if he won the lotteryā€¦

Totally irrelevant to anything Iā€™ve written in this post.
All I will say is that I believe Iā€™ve put my points, concerns and arguments across fully and honestly in my many posts on this subject and as such I have nothing ill to answer to. In fact you may even want to thank me for being one of the few people to put an balanced account across both with my negative warnings about the very real issues facing many drivers here on the down side and my trip reports that show my enthusiasm and zeal for the job on the up side. As you quite rightly point out yourself, I have been here for years so I do know what Iā€™m talking about as much as you or anyone else in Canada and as such my views are as valid and just as any.
As for having feelings, Iā€™m sure youā€™d argue the sky was green if I said it was blue so my getting drawn in to petty bickering pretty much ends here.

Balance is exactly what itā€™s all about, if a newcomer were to read this forum and only see your musings, then theyā€™re likely to dismiss any thoughts of moving to Canada, yet there are many success stories here, unfortunately they donā€™t get much publicity.

As far as bickering, not at all, Iā€™m on my tablet thing and it doesnā€™t have smileys, so they were absent at the end of my lottery jibe, that is called banter, I know thatā€™s frowned upon in this cotton wool world we live in, but I opted out of that.

You and I may disagree on truck driving in Canada, or to be more specific, decent driving jobs in Canada, each of us speaks from experience, you, from what i read on here, havenā€™t liked any job youā€™ve had, whereas I have enjoyed all of mine, with the exception of the four months I spent at Big Fright.

So for every post of yours that tells of the low wages, unpaid waiting time, Eastern Seaboard traffic hell, terrible drivers in New England etc etc etc. I will tell the other side of the story, people can choose to believe either of us, I donā€™t care one way or the other, I offer advice, not instructions and try to be objective.

So no need to get offended, itā€™s the Internet after allā€¦

Alternatively a newcomer may just as easily read one of my diaries and think its all just wonderful scenery, empty roads and a good old time all around without a care in the world. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve said anything wrong in any of my posts and if my musings as you call it help someone avoid a bad company with a track record of treating drivers like crap then I think Iā€™ve done a good thing. My diaries are the good side, my ā€œmusingā€ are the bad side and they offer a perfectly good balance.
If there are more musings its only because I respond to pre-existing subjects that are being discussed. I donā€™t recall starting many, if any posts that were primarily negative in their stance towards Canada, I just respond and offer my advice to other peoples questions and concerns. On the other hand, I have personally started many a post on Trucknet with a very positive trip diary depicting many of the good things about being a driver in Canada.

And that is why I made reference to your diaries and the part about not hating the job!

As for avoiding bad companies, often that is a luxury we donā€™t have. You canā€™t expect to jump off a plane and get a job for life kind of job, you have to get a few miles and some experience before you can even get through the gate of a company like that.

You seem to have taken this badly, that wasnā€™t my intention, youā€™ve been around here long enough to know that I make flippant remarks, so untwist your knickers and continue doing your thing.

Your version of Canadian trucking is as valid as anybody elseā€™s and people do need to be aware of the downside as well as the upside, of which each of us have experienced.

In your case the work out in the Maritimes is less than desirable, but itā€™s a good place to live. In my case the work is much better, but living in the prairies is the downside, itā€™s either too cold, too hot, or thereā€™s a tornado/thunderstorm/heat/windchill or blizzard warning and if itā€™s just right you get eaten alive by mosquitos or horse flies.

Living in Ontario may just be the answer to both of our problems, there seems to be a good balance of quality of life and decent jobs.