Good news

Thought I’d post an update as it’s been a while
I’m living proof that lmias are achievable as I am now a class 1 driver in alberta !!
Took three weeks from arrival (a few deiving examiners have retired aparrently) but I passed my road test today
Hoping to be on the road from Tuesday or Wednesday and although I’m properly nervous, I can’t wait. Got issued my peterbuilt today so spent a couple hours getting my stuff organised and ready for my first trip :slight_smile:
To those who may be losing heart with the whole lmia thing, keep pushing and if you really want it you’ll get there. I heard h&r are getting lmias through now so there are some around, just make lots of enquiries.
Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, it’s been really appreciated and has been worth it’s weight in gold
Next step is get the missus and daughter over then AINP …

Good job, whereabouts are you ?

neilg14:

ERR He does say

I’m living proof that lmias are achievable as I am now a class 1 driver in Alberta

:wink:

nick2008:

neilg14:

ERR He does say

I’m living proof that lmias are achievable as I am now a class 1 driver in Alberta

:wink:

ERR, Alberta`s 2 1/2 times the size of the UK. :smiley:

If he passed his test today then my guess is that he’s in Claresholm as 2 newbie’s had to take their class 1 test today.

Congratulations Dereko, well done. Best of luck out on the road.

Watt and Stewart

Congratulations at passing. Hope you got all ya paperwork ready for anip. At the current process times you only going to have one shot at it. Might be worth getting it all checked over

Thanks fellas, yeah missus is getting all the paperwork sorted before she comes out here so hopefully things will work out with ainp
I couldn’t possibly say who I’m working for :wink: :wink:
First trip was Tampa then South carolina then back up to AB so in a nut shell -17 to sunburn back to -3 and snow!!! Gotta love this place :slight_smile:

Keep your head down and stay below the radar as the man himself is a bit off. Make sure you have the application for AINP sorted and don’t let the boss delay. Applications in AB are very limited in number, supposedly are first come, first served and take a long time. The 4 year ■■■■■■■■■■ rule is here for the foreseeable future and you don’t want to get caught out.

Most important is to remember that, unlike the UK, you can approach the authorities themselves if you absolutely need to, so don’t pay too much heed to those that tell you it is all down to your employer to sort out. It isn’t.

4 year rule? Where have you been Bob? Last summer it changed to a 2 year permit without extention unless PR has been applied for and proof provided. The 4 year rule was the old one

Taff, I think he’s talking about the max time allowed here on WP’s which is 4 years and brought in, in 2011, that’s why some people are having to go home because they didn’t get their PR in the 4 years allowed.

The four year rule is very definitely alive and well. Technically, every work permit was a maximum of two years and the second was entirely separate. That’s still the case.
The second permit will most likely only get approval after PNP has been applied for at least, but the rules are still pretty vague at the moment. By rights, if you apply for PNP after six months you should be nominated by the time your work permit expires but you need to be sending the application off for the second permit three or four months before yours expires because it takes a while for them to act.

If you have your PR application sent in and accepted, and you have your file number, then you get other options. But it takes months to get theses things done and, especially in Alberta, months are not something you have to spare.

Get the paperwork in at first opportunity. Certain employers simply don’t care if you stay or go and won’t do much to help you.

Another thing to look at is the LMIA income requirements. Several didn’t make the required amount but no shortfalls have been addressed.

On CBC news this morning, they were saying 10’s of 1000’s of TFW’s have to leave the country today, those that arrived here before Apr 1 2011 and all flights out of Calgary & Vancouver are full to capacity.
They also said many 1000’s have just disappeared into the system.

neilg14:
Taff, I think he’s talking about the max time allowed here on WP’s which is 4 years and brought in, in 2011, that’s why some people are having to go home because they didn’t get their PR in the 4 years allowed.

No the we rule was bought in last year we was informed of it by the boss at the time.

You get your first 2 year permit when you land then that’s the time to apply for ya provincial nomination. Once that’s approved and you send your paperwork off to Nova Scotia you can then apply for an extention if original runs out. You can’t do 2 years then get another for 2 years.

That’s just it Bob if you came over before last June then yea you go under the 4 yr rule if you come over after that then it’s 2 years.

Talking to the guys who have their paperwork at NS already they know it has been received because it was sent by courier but they don’t actually look at it for about 5 months then you get called for medical. If you need a new permit in the meantime you have to prove PR has been applied for. If ya still waiting for ANIP to come through and your company hasn’t got any LMIA then you are going home.