Ola Nordmann

Hi, my new name is Nordic Nige, greetings from beautiful Norway. Check out the photos I took earlier in Stavanger. I was hoping to get a few more but my poxy I-phone reckons it’s memory is full but I’ve only got about 150 pictures on it in total. The old I-phone 3 ■■■■■■ all over this new one I’ve got on contract. Anyway, I’ve been to a job interview today and passed a driving assessment without going around an island the wrong way or opening the door instead of changing gear. Not that I’ve ever done that before of course… :blush: :blush: However, the company in question have just lost a big construction contract to a competitor and won’t know if there’s a job going for sure until the end of next month. I’m now officially in tourist mode. Off on a boat ride around the fjords in the morning hahaha… Also stopped off at a heavy haulage firm on way back to hotel and ended up talking to the transport manager for 20 mins in Norwegian. One of two things happened: A. My Norwegian is better than I thought OR B: He didn’t have a ■■■■■■■ clue what I was on about and kept pretending he could understand me whilst occasionally nodding his head in hope that I would eventually go away.

If you are in ‘‘tourist’’ mode now you should either get some rides with Norgies up to the North to see the winter roads,maybe even look at companies.Ask around,maybe people could use a second driver[for timed deliveries and for the tacho]especially the fridge trucks as there are a lot of delays now this time of year due to weather.
Or alternatively you could [Money permitting]go on the ‘‘Hurtig route’’ boat from Bergen up to Hammerfest,it’s really eye opening.

Here’s a few more… I thought Canada and New Zealand were nice but for me it’s Nor-way all-day!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice pics.

Have to agree with the Norway all day part.

I used to love going up there, It’s been nearly 10 years & I still miss it…

Just been told to report back to Stavanger on 20th. April to sort out bank account and tax number etc.
Supposedly start training the following day for the roadworks season. Sounds like I’ll be on tarmac runs in a tipper all Summer and then collecting/delivering the required machinery with a low loader as and when required.
I’ll give it a shot and see what happens, as long as I don’t have to put the first cone down on the outside lane of the motorway I don’t mind. :open_mouth:

One big holiday with you eh Duck lol

Yup, looks like I’m taking the VW passion wagon with a mere 210,000 miles on the clock to Immingham and then having a little boat ride to Brevik next month. Just need a giant teddy bear and large frisbee (a.k.a. fake steering wheel & attendant) for the passenger side and I’m good to go!! There’s a Merc C220D and a couple of ERF EC’s going on ebay shortly… Raising some cash and living my life again… I don’t do “normal” very well… I’m too old to change now… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Duck:
Yup, looks like I’m taking the VW passion wagon with a mere 210,000 miles on the clock to Immingham and then having a little boat ride to Brevik next month.

Hi Duck. I’m asuming the VW is a camper, if so who do you use out of Immingham and what’s the procedure and last but not least…where do you end up, asuming you have an uneventful sailing :smiley:

Thanks
Dave

No, it’s a Caddy van but I have kipped in the back of it on the odd occasion after having had a bust up at home. Guess that doesn’t really qualify it as a bona fide camper. DFDS freight boat out of Immingham has 2 sailings a week, Sunday and Wednesday but they don’t take passengers on Wednesday apparently. As I said, you end up in Brevik, roughly 100 miles from either Oslo or Kristiansand. It’s a bit of a shame that they stopped doing the Newcastle-Stavanger-Bergen route back in 2008. Heard rumours it was going to start up again but haven’t seen it confirmed anywhere. Also heard Harwich to Esjberg in Denmark has been ki-boshed as well and with the van being a bit worse for wear I might as well let the boat do the majority of the work as opposed to driving all the way. It’s actually a lot cheaper to do it this way than I thought it would be. Only about 240 miles from Brevik to Sandnes and a Kiwi friend is coming over for the roadie to get some pictures for a trucking magazine down under. Hopefully he’ll be bringing some Amber Nectar to soothe the 26 hour crossing… Then again being a Kiwi I suppose he’d rather drink rat ■■■■!

Hi Duck. Thanks for the reply, safe journey.
Dave